South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

October 19, 2017, 00:05:15 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Geen siekte is ongeneesbaar

(Read 4562 times)
The Vulcan
Shipmate

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »

Yeah, I suppose it's a dog eat dog world huh, loved how you showed that woo-woo and pharmaceutical companies are almost two sides of the same coin, Brian.

Although it's true that companies can be genuinely ruthless too, I don't want to go too far overboard to the point of being guilty of believing in these conspiracy theories (not saying that's what you meant) but I seem to recall something about scientists creating some sort of open database, not sure if this was about vaccines specifically, but it did have something to do with sharing info about medicines and fighting pharmaceutical companies not to keep these info all to themselves to the detriment of scientific inquiry - but I'm afraid I'm not too clued up on this, I find biology incredibly boring I'm afraid

Yeah I am aware that vaccines comes with a fair amount of risk, like any medicine really, there's bound to be some adverse side-effects, I'm sure it's not a 100% science yet, but I still think the positives outweigh the negatives when it comes to taking vaccines though, you might say the ends really do justify the means (although I'm not going into controversial things like animal testing and such, but we have to learn somehow...) And I'm also not talking about other unethical medical  practices either, not the point I'm trying to make.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 13:11:21 PM »

"Researchers are also developing replacements for vaccines that can be risky for vulnerable groups. These include current smallpox vaccines that cannot safely be given to immunocompromised people; the tuberculosis vaccine, which is not recommended for HIV-positive infants; and the yellow-fever vaccine, which puts elderly people at particular risk of a yellow-fever-like illness.

Isn't this even moreso a case for mass immunization? These compromised individuals can be protected through herd immunity, no?
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 15:40:57 PM »

Thalidomide was not a vaccine.
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 16:36:51 PM »

I know it wasn't...put it your minds regarding how easily we can be duped by pharmaceutical companies.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: