South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 17, 2017, 16:03:46 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Amalgamated Bull Shit Artists

(Read 22169 times)
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »

This move from Absa was to be expected..was it not?
Not at this magnatude. 25% of the local workforce?
GCG

Skeptical ability: +8/-4

skeptical mantis is skeptical

adele horn
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 10:02:48 AM »

Having a good woman by your side is worth every cent.
having a good anybody that will help you carry the load by earning a salary, understanding what a budget is, and how to keep to it.
living on my own is awesome.  financially a bastard sometimes.  but if i am forced to eat popcorn coz there is no money for luxuries, i only have myself to answer to.  ok, and 5 cats and two dogs.  but they are easily wooed by bones and catnip.
having financial shit is hard enough.  having to deal with someone else who is not coming to the party, or not understanding, or wanting to still live big, is so much harder.
any man (or woman) that wants to be the sole breadwinner, with the partner in the kitchen, is a selfish prig, setting their family up for financial ruin if the pooh hits the fan.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »

A few days ago eNews featured a banner headline about ABSA emphatically denying rumours of forced retrenchments or using underhanded tactics.  The bulletin didn’t elaborate on the story.  Does anyone know the specifics?

'Luthon64
Gogtjop

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »

Of course they're denying it.

My source further informs me that Maria Ramos is getting a R14,700,000 bonus this year.
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »

I heard that on Cape Talk yesterday and that she graciously conceded to take it over a period of time rather than a lump sum   Cheesy

Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 14:38:20 PM »

Trade union Solidarity has launched a campaign against ABSA.  This is interesting, considering that Solidarity represents only a few hundred of the bank's employees while the much more significant Sasbo is failing to act.  The bank has threatened to sue Solidarity if they don't remove certain claims from their website (especially the "Today, Tomorrow, Goodbye" slogan), which they refuse to do.  See here.  In a recent development 270 IT employees from Gijima joined ABSA after a takeover, only to be issued with letters that they must apply for jobs.  Solidarity is convinced this is illegal and is taking ABSA to court.
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 14:52:56 PM »

The campaign website is http://www.stopabsa.co.za/.
Faerie

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 07:37:32 AM »

A few days ago eNews featured a banner headline about ABSA emphatically denying rumours of forced retrenchments or using underhanded tactics.  The bulletin didn’t elaborate on the story.  Does anyone know the specifics?

'Luthon64

The manner in which they're going about this is foreign to our culture, it is also in my opinion, extremely underhanded. Instead of simply identifying jobs that needs to go and retrenching outright, they "restructure" and give the "option" for staff to re-apply for jobs, you receive three "choices" of positions you may apply for.  This then goes to a panel of immediate line management and they pick and choose who they want to place where. The rest are then placed on reassignment, which basically mean you can park off at home for three months with full pay, after the three months are up, your contract is terminated. The idea is that for the first month the bank will attempt to place you internally and if not successful, you have two months to find another job externally.  Should you find another position externally within this period, you forego any retrenchment package you might qualify for (since you effectively resigned -see?). So in effect they're at this point of time sticking to their "no retrenchments effected" story due to the fact that the first lot's three months are'nt effectively up yet (this is the IT division - they were the first to be affected in Feb, so in effect only at the end of this month claims of retrenchments can be made).

I myself found myself on a mini vacation for three days before I had an opportunity to go for a panel interview for an entry level job.... I was offered something a tad better after that particular circus, and am still working, many of my colleagues were not as fortunate though.

Its a bloody mess and morale is dreadful, we have top management trying to appease the staff during the (now) twice weekly tv shows, but I note that in the open areas most staff dont even bother switching on the tv's anymore. Its all lip service anyway.
Gogtjop

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 14:38:01 PM »

TV shows?

Are they showing Emmanuel Goldstein, then?
Faerie

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 15:55:23 PM »

TV shows?

Are they showing Emmanuel Goldstein, then?

Nah, a modern version of Hate Hour. 1984 baby....
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »

I think that workers are overprotected by legislation already, and perhaps this is why large companies are sometimes perceived as using underhanded tactics to get rid of people. If your boss/ board doesn't like the way you do your job, or if she has other plans for the business, then it should be her prerogative to let you go without any further need for explanation. Such an arrangement will lead to less loyalty, more caution and improved professionalism and profitability. And, on the flip-side,  it may help to to coax the entrepreneurialy cautious into action.

Rigil
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 14:08:20 PM by Rigil Kent » Logged
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 15:44:04 PM »

I think that workers are overprotected by legislation already, and perhaps this is why large companies are sometimes perceived as using underhanded tactics to get rid of people. If your boss/ board doesn't like the way you do your job, or if she has other plans for the business, then it should be her prerogative to let you go without any further need for explanation. Such an arrangement will lead to less loyalty, more caution and improved professionalism and profitability. And, on the flip-side,  it may help to to coax the entrepreneurialy cautious into action.

Rigil
I agree. I had to retrench somebody because business is slow. I have less income but I now have to pay out a "retrenchment package". I will defiantly think twice before I appoint somebody again. 
ingwe

Skeptical ability: +2/-0

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 13:03:59 PM »

Were those in the firing line not from the IT section?

Absa online banking crashes
May 25 2012 at 06:44pm

Clients hoping to cash in their end of month paychecks at Absa on Friday received a nasty surprise after the online banking system fell over.

Failures by SA banks to manage the huge migration of customers to online banking seems to be becoming a regular problem.

FNB suffered a storm of protest in March when its online system suddenly went down - followed by its cellphone banking service the next day.

An Absa spokesperson said on Friday their system engineers were busy working on resolving the problem, but by 14:00 the system was not on line yet after being down all morning.

“We are experiencing technical difficulties. We are awaiting feedback. We are aware it is month end and that a lot of people want to transact,” she said.

An electricity spike was said to have hit FNB’s main production and backup system during their March down time.

City Power, however, vehemently denied its system caused the outage. - I-Net Bridge

http://www.iol.co.za/business/companies/absa-online-banking-crashes-1.1305283
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 14:19:04 PM »

Are you thinking malice on the part of a disgruntled ex-IT ABSA employee?

'Luthon64
ingwe

Skeptical ability: +2/-0

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 14:36:43 PM »

Are you thinking malice on the part of a disgruntled ex-IT ABSA employee?

'Luthon64
Not at all most of those who are going have been sitting at home for the past three months. I would guess that the management, devolopment and running of the new system was farmed (tendered) out and this break down might well be partially as a result?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: