South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 11, 2019, 19:05:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Why are drugs illegal?

(Read 20422 times)
Lilli

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

Lelani Stolp
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 15:56:41 PM »

Not to be difficult, but not all drugs are illegal - there's some pretty trippy over-the counter stuff available in SA if you know what to look for.
Personally, I dont get high anymore. have done, but got the feeling i was losing control too often. And I suppose thats why mind-altering substances cannot be made legal and freely available: there are just too many people like me who won't necessarily know when to stop. And if the entire nation is tripping all the time, who would ever get anything done?
Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 16:05:56 PM »

Please provide some names or links, I'm always on the look out for new and interesting chemicals. Grin

It could be argued that a large portion of the nation is already tripping most of the time, I don't think legalisation would necessarily convince the rest to join in.
Owen Swart
Officer in Charge, SciOps

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

Fleet Captain Owen Swart of the Starship Dauntless

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 16:12:26 PM »

I don't think legalisation would necessarily convince the rest to join in.

No indeed. The legality of alcohol and tobacco has yet to convince me to join in. Same goes for just about any other psychoactive compound, with the exception of caffeine.
Peter Grant

a fully caused agent

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 18:28:00 PM »

There, you see! Some people just don't want them, even if you offer them, repeatedly.  Grin
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 22:49:18 PM »

Not to be difficult, but not all drugs are illegal - there's some pretty trippy over-the counter stuff available in SA
there are just too many people like me who won't necessarily know when to stop. And if the entire nation is tripping all the time, who would ever get anything done?

Wait, you're saying drugs are freely available, but if they are freely available, our society can't function? By that rationale, our society should already be in ruin. Not everyone drinks spirits and sniffs glue every night, even though those things can get you really sideways and are freely available. As is DXM. But drugs are not for everyone.... Just like you said.
Peter Grant

a fully caused agent

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »

You know, they actually add poison to methylated spirits. The reason being that they then cannot be accused of selling drinkable ethanol. The fact that some people do still drink it doesn't seem to bother them, or those making the laws.
Irreverend

Skeptical ability: +9/-1

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 21:04:37 PM »

Thank goodness you can still buy white bread...
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 21:11:23 PM »

You're familiar with adsorbsion chromatography, huh? The meths producers, of course, also hold major stakes in the national bakeries. Wink

Mintaka
Irreverend

Skeptical ability: +9/-1

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 21:23:49 PM »

I'm not averse to supporting the occasional bit of exploitative capitalism as long as it has a tasty scientific experiment in its sights. Smiley
Peter Grant

a fully caused agent

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 00:41:44 AM »

Government drug adviser David Nutt sacked - funny title, but it is rather disturbing when a science advisor gets fired for doing his job.
Mordred
Proudly skeptic

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

Resurrecting this old dinosaur of a thread but it's a topic I've always found very interesting.

I firmly believe the story about the reason for cannabis being illegal in the states is the cotton industry. Then of course, there are countless medical benefits of cannabis that we need to study but cannot while it remains classified together with things like heroin.

It's not possible to overdose on it, there is considerable debate if it can cause lung cancer (esp. when you use a vaporiser as opposed to a joint) and other than the happy-factor it's a valuable source of fibre and protein.
Andysor

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »

This is a topic close to my heart too.

On the question of government drug control I hold a very firm Libertarian position, namely that if your activity does not directly affect other people society should mind its own business.

Even if one takes a more paternalistic view of society, numerous studies have confirmed what is intuitively obvious: making something illegal, unless the penalties are ridiculously punitive (ie. Singapore), have virtually no effect on consumption. Arguments about the potential damage from a drug are thus moot.

If one still wishes to do a cost/benefit analysis of the drug war the costs are staggeringly high; more than one quarter of prisoners in US jails are there for drug offences. A huge proportion of police and customs resources could be diverted to investigate other crimes.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 18:26:57 PM »

Remember though, that the moment you don't NEED those officers they'll more likely be downsized than "put to better use".

Money is money, and the state only really cares up to a point. Especially if it could mean tax breaks, something politicians like to give people in return for support.
thrift

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 22:50:44 PM »

In case anyone wants to support a homegrown initiative, I know someone who has started THE DAGGA PARTY (for real!).  You can get him through Facebook, look for eremy David Acton, or Bud Blazer.
IncenDiary

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 13:16:21 PM »

*Racism
*Fear
*Protection of Corporate Profits
*Yellow Journalism
*Ignorant, Incompetent, and/or Corrupt Legislators
*Personal Career Advancement and Greed

These are the actual reasons marijuana is illegal.

Found this @ http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: