SITP Sandton

<< < (4/5) > >>

StevoMuso (August 28, 2010, 10:48:00 AM):
In the case of the English guy it really is quite simple in my experience - everyone speaks English to him/her because often Afrikaans people have some grasp of the English language, while the English guy most likely has never gone to the trouble of learning the lingo that a small group of strange white folk in Africa speaks that is not spoken or understood anywhere else in the civilized world (that I know of)
The second reason is that English people enjoy laughing at Afrikaans speaker's English accents more that Afrikaners enjoy laughing at the English guys trying to speak Afrikaans. This is either because the Afrikaans guys are trying to be nice, or because the Afrikaans guys don't realize that they speak with exceptionally bad accents...
I guess its all in the interest of effective communication, really.
No ... Lilli ... it's because English is way more cool and intelligent than Afrikaans. >:D
GCG (August 28, 2010, 18:07:29 PM):
ooooooo stevo. nou soek jy kak >:D
StevoMuso (August 29, 2010, 09:44:36 AM):
ooooooo stevo. nou soek jy kak >:D
oooooo ... now you're looking for shit. Mmmmm ... okay ... sounds much better in Afrikaans. Heheh.
GCG (August 30, 2010, 10:17:21 AM):
i have, as of so far, encountered only two languages in which you can insult someone, and it sounds like poetry.
the one is Hindi, the other boere afrikaans.
Brian (August 30, 2010, 10:28:06 AM):
I love Afrikaans and as you say GCG it's very expressive 'Voertsek!' is so much better than 'g'way!'. and then your particular way with words leave me breathless (sprakeloos). But when a dominee says "Dit is virrr my 'n bezondere voorrreg om hier te midde van die heuglike gebeurtenis, Godstyding aan u oor te dra!" then I want to vomit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page