The Neverending List of Questions that needs Answering

<< < (22/23) > >>

Mefiante (March 24, 2011, 18:32:28 PM):
If you apply a constant force to a lump of antimatter at rest, will it go even slower ???
I’m going to assume this question is serious because some people have such an idea. If it isn’t, please indulge me. To the best of our current understanding, matter and antimatter are indistinguishable by inertial means. However, there is a school of thought that proposes an ever-so-tiny difference in inertial behaviour between matter and antimatter — so tiny that it cannot be measured by present means. If true, the proposal would aid in explaining the universe’s (apparent) asymmetry in terms of matter vs. antimatter. This difference would be especially telling at the very early stages of the Big Bang.

'Luthon64
cyghost (March 24, 2011, 20:52:15 PM):
Why is the antimatter resting? 'Tis lazy?
Mefiante (March 24, 2011, 21:46:17 PM):
Again I’ll proceed from the perhaps erroneous assumption that this question is at least partway serious. You must not read “inertia,” “inertial” and so on as referring to “a state of rest.” (According to which frame of reference is this “state of rest” to be judged anyway?) Rather, read “inertia,” etc. as indicating the resistance to a change in the state of (uniform) motion a ponderable mass offers, as per Newton’s second law.

'Luthon64
Rigil Kent (March 25, 2011, 07:44:12 AM):
Or tired. :P

.. matter and antimatter are indistinguishable by inertial means.
I must admit to being a bit dissapointed to learn that something as exotic as antimatter shares some of the same mundane properties as a house brick or a wonder bra. In a recent movie they kept the stuff in a special tube hovering in mid air, for Pete's sake! So what exactly is so "anti" about it?

Mintaka
BoogieMonster (March 25, 2011, 07:52:54 AM):
Afaik (risking a smackdown by Mefiante), you have to keep the stuff suspended mid air by strong magnetic fields or it will annihilate any "normal" matter upon contact. (Or put another way, they destroy each other)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page