South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

August 10, 2020, 21:40:52 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Judgement Day

(Read 26030 times)
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »

Gods, now they're debunking religious mumbo-jumbo with astrology...

Camping has been preaching his message of doom on radio stations across the US about the beginning of Judgement Day (he says on May 21) and the rapture, in which Christians will be “taken up into the air to meet Christ” (he says on October 21) after five months of terror on Earth.

However, local astrologer Dion van Zyl says there is nothing to fear.

“I have been following global events from 2007 very closely and the world is not ending on May 21.

“We have horrible days once a month – and this coming weekend falls into that pattern. The economic recession and disaster in Japan occurred during this horrible-day period which happens (monthly).”

Van Zyl said this was happening because Uranus was in opposition to Saturn and the box-shaped alignment of these and two other planets.

“People should be prepared for things to go wrong, especially on Friday, May 20.”

*facedesk*
http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/world-ends-on-saturday-1.1068998

Its all Uranus' fault....
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »

“We have horrible days once a month – and this coming weekend falls into that pattern. The economic recession and disaster in Japan occurred during this horrible-day period which happens (monthly).”
Mummy, mummy why does my nose bleed every month?
Shut up, poesface!
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »

*facedesk*

I call this the "Zeitgeist tactic", it goes like this:

"Everything you know is wrong, but here's a new set of bullshit you can believe instead"
bluegray
Administrator

Skeptical ability: +9/-3

saskeptics
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »

The raptured people are the chosen ones right? So when nothing happens on the 21st, does that mean nobody got the green light to go to heaven? Or will it be because someone saved mankind from disaster  Undecided
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 12:55:55 PM »

Quote from: bluegray
So when nothing happens on the 21st, does that mean nobody got the green light to go to heaven? Or will it be because someone saved mankind from disaster

A likely answer comes from that Science Denial piece I posted a while back...

the Seekers, a small Chicago-area cult whose members thought they were communicating with aliens—including one, "Sananda," who they believed was the astral incarnation of Jesus Christ. The group was led by Dorothy Martin, a Dianetics devotee who transcribed the interstellar messages through automatic writing.

Through her, the aliens had given the precise date of an Earth-rending cataclysm: December 21, 1954. Some of Martin's followers quit their jobs and sold their property, expecting to be rescued by a flying saucer when the continent split asunder and a new sea swallowed much of the United States. The disciples even went so far as to remove brassieres and rip zippers out of their trousers—the metal, they believed, would pose a danger on the spacecraft.

Festinger and his team were with the cult when the prophecy failed. First, the "boys upstairs" (as the aliens were sometimes called) did not show up and rescue the Seekers. Then December 21 arrived without incident. It was the moment Festinger had been waiting for: How would people so emotionally invested in a belief system react, now that it had been soundly refuted?

At first, the group struggled for an explanation. But then rationalization set in. A new message arrived, announcing that they'd all been spared at the last minute. Festinger summarized the extraterrestrials' new pronouncement: "The little group, sitting all night long, had spread so much light that God had saved the world from destruction." Their willingness to believe in the prophecy had saved Earth from the prophecy!

From that day forward, the Seekers, previously shy of the press and indifferent toward evangelizing, began to proselytize. "Their sense of urgency was enormous," wrote Festinger. The devastation of all they had believed had made them even more certain of their beliefs.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +64/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 13:16:49 PM »

I must admit, that’s a novel angle:  If The Rapture fails to happen (as it surely will), Camping can then claim that his god spared us all at the last moment because he and his followers were so ardent in disseminating the message of imminent calamity and urgent repentance, and so Camping becomes the world’s saviour.

Neat-o.

Unfalsifiable assertion aside, it’s a glimpse of the contorted lengths these individuals are prepared to go to in order to avoid reality.

'Luthon64
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 07:55:31 AM »

I see that quite a few massive billboards are advertising the event. Those things don't come cheap so what is their angle? Where and how do they make (or made) their money?
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +64/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »

Where and how do they make (or made) their money?
Selling products like Salvation™, Forgiveness™ and the ever-popular Eternal Life™ to a rather large market of uncritical dupes.  These products are easy and cheap to manufacture (read: “fabricate”), requiring little in the way of raw materials or processing besides a grave intonation.  Also, their operating costs and overheads are minimal — so minimal that they even use a plate for a cash register — and their business is tax exempt, so that virtually every cent they receive is pure profit.  It’s then no great mystery that they can embark on such lavish marketing and advertising campaigns.

'Luthon64
Faerie

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 07:12:06 AM »

Dunno if its the same lot, but one of my Mom's friends son, a couple years back (10, 15?) sold up EVERYTHING, literally, and moved into his mom's house with his family and handed every cent to the church. He is STILL living with his mom, although his wife and kids left him.....
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »

Dunno if its the same lot, but one of my Mom's friends son, a couple years back (10, 15?) sold up EVERYTHING, literally, and moved into his mom's house with his family and handed every cent to the church. He is STILL living with his mom, although his wife and kids left him.....

Sounds like he got sent to hell.
Wandapec

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

100% Proud Atheist/Skeptic

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 17:26:51 PM »

The mouse over says
But to us there is but one God, plus or minus one. --1 Corinthians 8:6±2.
Wandapec

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

100% Proud Atheist/Skeptic

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 17:39:46 PM »

Harold Camping. He's 89. It must be really confusing when senility and religiosity gang up and attack you from all angles!

Faerie

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »

So what have we got planned for our last day??

I'm thinking of spending my whole salary on booze and sleazy men and having an all-out booze-up tonight, that way I can sleep through the drama and earthquakes tomorrow due to alcohol poisoning and a massive hangover.
Faerie

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 08:50:01 AM »

cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »

Forgive me for being serious in a fun thread for a second...

If the world *doesn't* come to an end on the 21st, if the rapture *doesn't* take place... these morons have been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt to be wrong about their beliefs. And yet, somehow, in some strange alternate universe logic, their beliefs won't take a knock. It will not give pause to even a seconds worth of doubt that hey, we may be wrong to believe this crazy shit.

That kind of faith is so far beyond me that I truly struggle to comprehend it. I mean, I observe it, I understand it exists, I just fail utterly and completely to comprehend how it is actually possible and why it just doesn't implode under the shear weight of stupidity and cease to exist in a universe which abhors contradictions...

And to top it off, we are taught that such belief is a good thing and that Jesus requires that and only that for people to be 'saved'. Xtianity is stupid beyond my ability to comprehend.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: