234 km/h

<< < (3/6) > >>

BoogieMonster (December 06, 2010, 00:37:08 AM):
Money for this man is obviously not a problem, so doing time and losing his car and driving license would hurt him.

Doing time will probably kill him. I would rather not have that blood on my hands.

I have to agree with Mefiante a bit. A new car today is not comparable to a new car in the 70's. And yet here we sit with a highway speed limit that has nothing to do with the capability of modern cars...

And now I agree with Tweefo... In South Africa, cruising down the highway has a special set of risks including hitting a (probably drunk) pedastrian that is crossing the highway in pitch darkness. A hazard I've narrowly avoided a couple of times.

SHOULD they be there? No. Are they? Yes. Would travelling at 250kmph be OK if you were to come up on one... HELL NO! Is 120? No. But it is a LOT better than 250, braking distance is exponential, not linear.

The evening of South Africa's opening match in the world cup, just as the match had ended, I was cruising down the M1 south in Joburg and came around a corner doing 100kmph when I saw an offramp bridge, and next moment (nighttime) literally 100's of spectators that had presumably just exited one of the fan parks. They were running over the highway itself (not the bridge) and JUMPING the concrete barrier in the middle. I braked VERY VERY HARD, I hooted, I waved, and I got within centimetres of ploughing straight into this crowd.

... and I drive a BMW with all the ABS and stability/traction control and various other modern goodies....

I was a wreck when I got home but I'll assure you this: I never realised how fast (and hazardous) highway speeds are until coming up to something stationary slap-bang infront of you.

This is, unfortunately, NOT germany. :(

IIRC Even the gautrain was slowed down to compensate for people running over the tracks.
Watookal (December 06, 2010, 08:31:04 AM):
In another accident this past weekend
2010-12-05 22:43

A truck which smashed into a bakkie and claimed seven lives had its road permit revoked two days before the crash, Ekurhuleni metro police say.

Now I know fortunetelling is frowned upon here, but I 'm going to predict both of these drivers will get away with a slap on the wrist. One because the white laws don't apply to him; and one because common(poor) people's laws don't apply to him.
To me, both incidents boil down to disregard for the law and other people's safety.
Mefiante (December 06, 2010, 10:17:30 AM):
… braking distance is exponential, not linear.
A minor technical point: It’s quadratic with speed, not exponential.

'Luthon64
BoogieMonster (December 06, 2010, 10:28:24 AM):
If you include "reaction time/distance" in the formula, then yes. My bad for only thinking about the actual braking distance. Perhaps the proper nomenclature would be "stopping distance" :)
SKEPRat (December 06, 2010, 10:49:32 AM):
Correct BoogieMonster, this is not Germany where you will not find 3rd world people on 1st world roads. I have driven along the N1 in Cape Town behind a Metro Police patrol car. He happily cruised along ignoring pedestrians and wrecks travelling on the road. This is where the problem lies in SA, inefficient policing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page