234 km/h

(1/6) > >>

Tweefo (December 04, 2010, 13:14:51 PM):
Motorist clocks 234km/h
Article By: Kathrine Child
Sat, 04 Dec 2010 7:02

A motorist was caught driving at 234km/h on the N4 highway on Friday morning.

Gauteng traffic police said the motorist was travelling from Pretoria towards Witbank when he was arrested. He told police that he was testing his Mercedes-Benz C65.

The traffic police's Zakhele Nkabinde said the man was released on bail.

"The motorist will be charged with reckless and negligent driving," he said.

"He was released on R1000 bail until his court appearance on Monday."

(wtf!!) Should someone like this get bail? At that speed he is driving a murder weapon looking for a victim. Arrogant fool! Let him spend the weekend in jail and moreover, I think his sentence should not have the possibility of paying a fine. Money for this man is obviously not a problem, so doing time and losing his car and driving license would hurt him.
A while ago I was involved in a road rage incident. A few Km's before a petro port a car came past me at a very high speed. He must have stopped at the petro port because a while later, as I was going past a truck he came up from behind, flashing his headlights for me to move over. I took my time eventually moving over to the left. As he went past me I gave him the finger, he then, very aggressively pushed me off the road.
Blows were exchanged but luckily another car stopped. This guy saw the whole thing and agreed with me. Later I went to lay charges against him but it was apparently a false number plate. So now I don't have much time for these assholes.
Mefiante (December 04, 2010, 14:17:35 PM):
Moreover, international accident statistics demonstrate that limited access grade separated roads such as Autobahns and motorways have much greater Road traffic safety regardless of speed limit.
International evidence shows there is no correlation between maximum motorway speed limits and accident and casualty rates. Consequently, some stretches of the West German Autobahn network have an excellent traffic signalling system which supports a variable speed limit regime with no upper limit! This demonstrates that it is possible to have an inherently safe road without the equivalent of our 70mph (~112 km/h) maximum!
In SA and despite the Transport Ministry’s eye-wipe propaganda, speed law enforcement has much less to do with road safety than with making moola. Speed restrictions were introduced in the early 1970s as a result of the oil crisis and the municipalities never rescinded them because they were very lucrative. As they stand, the laws are fundamentally flawed because they do not take into account the type and capabilities of either the vehicle or the driver, or the conditions within which an alleged speed transgression occurred. These factors could easily be addressed through appropriate testing and certification.

Personally, I’d rather see suitably qualified and experienced drivers in capable vehicles doing 200 km/h down an open highway than overloaded taxis doing 130 km/h on the same road, hogging the right-hand lane. Guess which one’s more dangerous to life and limb?
The only identifiable source of traffic risks in connection with speeding have been high-powered light trucks that came up within the last 15 years and as they are used by courier services (e.g. Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and trucks alike). Over the years they were only capable of speeds comparable to heavy duty trucks, but since manufacturers began to build in significantly more powerful engines they attain speeds of up to 180 km/h. This led to a significant portion of fatal crashes being caused by such vehicles [12] due to the driver overestimating their or the car's abilities to cope with sudden and heavy braking, side-winds, etc.

'Luthon64
Tweefo (December 04, 2010, 14:44:50 PM):
suitably qualified and experienced drivers
At 200 km/h you can not tell the difference. You do not expect a car to come up to you at that speed. That is why, in racing, they group the cars according to performance.
Mefiante (December 04, 2010, 14:48:52 PM):
And yet, the German autobahn sits there in glaring counterpoint.

'Luthon64
Tweefo (December 04, 2010, 18:27:14 PM):
On the Autobahn you are probably also driving fast and you can expect a fast car from behind. Not the case here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page