South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 15, 2019, 19:43:41 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Tea & the full body Detox!

(Read 7310 times)
Paulinafrica

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« on: April 26, 2011, 20:41:04 PM »

Hello Everybody, I previously submitted a post titled Snails & Beauty, still to get an answer back from ASASA, but in the interim I've never seen that particular advert again, so perhaps it was voluntarily removed by the advertiser? In any event my new target now is Homemark with an advert for Detox Tea and some pretty outlandish claims, I have lodged a complaint with ASASA on their website, please find the complaint that I filed below:
The advertisement is for a herbal tea, which shows a number of people who are allegedly benefiting from drinking this herbal tea. The advertisers claim that by drinking this tea, you will undergo a full body detox in every cup and that it will; Stimulate the digestive system, fight free radicals, enhance the immune system, & boost energy levels, all of which I find hard to believe and none of these claims are backed up by any scientific evidence. They further go on to say that you will 'feel like a new person' be 'full of life and energy' all of which is subjective but they then say by drinking this tea it will improve your complexion and that you will lose weight! I find that their claims are ridiculous and have no substance, I think that it is irresponsible of advertisers to put adverts on TV of this nature.
Thanks
Paul

I forgot to mention the key word 'misleading' but I'm sure that is pretty apparent from my ramblings above  Grin
Cheers
Paul
ingwe

Skeptical ability: +2/-0

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 14:42:47 PM »

Hello Everybody, I previously submitted a post titled Snails & Beauty, still to get an answer back from ASASA, but in the interim I've never seen that particular advert again, so perhaps it was voluntarily removed by the advertiser? In any event my new target now is Homemark with an advert for Detox Tea and some pretty outlandish claims, I have lodged a complaint with ASASA on their website, please find the complaint that I filed below:
The advertisement is for a herbal tea, which shows a number of people who are allegedly benefiting from drinking this herbal tea. The advertisers claim that by drinking this tea, you will undergo a full body detox in every cup and that it will; Stimulate the digestive system, fight free radicals, enhance the immune system, & boost energy levels, all of which I find hard to believe and none of these claims are backed up by any scientific evidence. They further go on to say that you will 'feel like a new person' be 'full of life and energy' all of which is subjective but they then say by drinking this tea it will improve your complexion and that you will lose weight! I find that their claims are ridiculous and have no substance, I think that it is irresponsible of advertisers to put adverts on TV of this nature.
Thanks
Paul

I forgot to mention the key word 'misleading' but I'm sure that is pretty apparent from my ramblings above  Grin
Cheers
Paul
It was flighted last night or yesterday on one of the BBC channels.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 20:17:25 PM by ingwe » Logged
Paulinafrica

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 16:18:00 PM »

Thanks ingwe, Those are always important details that I omitted from my post, but fortunately I had taken a note when I saw the ad and put on the complaint form on the ASASA website; the advert was flighted on BBC Lifestyle at 19h55 on the 26th April. But thanks for the time taken in any case.
Cheers
Paul
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:26:19 AM »

"flighted" means "shown on t.v"?
Paulinafrica

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 15:39:13 PM »

"flighted" means "shown on t.v"?
Indeed, please find a couple of explanations below:
From Investopedia
What Does Flighting Mean?

An advertising scheduling strategy in which a business alternates between running a normal schedule of advertising and a complete cessation of all runs. A company may use a flighting strategy as a way to save on advertising costs, while relying on the effect of its past advertisements continue to drive sales. As sales slow or more budget becomes available, the company will resume normal advertising.

Flighting is most commonly associated with television advertising, but can also be used with other media types, such as radio or the internet. It rose to prominence, along with another strategy, "pulsing", as advertising rates grew faster than advertising budgets. With this strategy, companies must balance potential customers' ability to recall a product or service with the cost of constantly reaching them. The longer the recall period, the less necessary it may be to run as many advertisements.
And from Barron's marketing Dictionary
1. Term used in media scheduling that indicates the length of the advertising period. Typically, an advertising campaign runs for a specified number of weeks, followed by a period of inactivity, and then is resumed. Each activity period is known as a flight. This spacing prevents overexposure to the advertisement or commercial without allowing the message to be forgotten. It also reduces media expenditures
Cheers
Paul
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 16:49:11 PM »

thanks
Paulinafrica

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 14:57:45 PM »

Hello Everybody, I have received a ruling from ASASA with regards to the complaint that I lodged with them, and I would like to share the result of that with you, I wanted to print the full report here, but it exceeds the maximum allowable length, I believe it is necessary to read the ruling in full. The ruling is a matter of public record and is available on the ASASA website. The matter has also been raised on the CAMcheck website through Dr Harris Steinman.

The complaint is upheld.

So a good result, I believe, you may also be interested to note the following from the CAMcheck site
NB: Dr Paul Abrahams who tried to substantiate this product, has substantiated a number of other scam Homemark products. A complaint against Dr Abrahams has been laid with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) – the regulatory authority who regulates health professionals

Cheers
Paul

*Edit* - Fixed broken links
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 19:58:37 PM by Paulinafrica » Logged
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 15:08:46 PM »

Well done! Thank you for the feedback!
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 16:22:13 PM »