South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 15, 2019, 20:49:23 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Are you a Cold Soul or Loving Puppy

(Read 4743 times)
Description: Are humans inherently good?
Superman

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 13:32:29 PM »

Boogie Monster, I really do not like psychologists/psychiatrists and esp not their tests. I think that eventually sciences like evolutionary biology and neuroscience will make psychology obsolete. At least to a very large extent. Something that I am very skeptical about are personality and IQ tests.

And that question has to a large extent been answered by evolutionary biology, game theory, etc. We're inherently self-interested (not necessarily selfish), and that self-interest frequently translates into various altruistic behaviours in both human and non-human animals.

Thank you Jacques I really like your post. I agree with this and it is something that I want to learn more about *and it is hard science* wich I like even more.

Very interesting responses again great forum that makes a person think!

Superman
Superman

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 13:45:29 PM »

PS according to Wiki there seems to be three types of skepticism
1. Scientific Skepticism
2. Religious Skepticsim
3. Philosophical Skepticism

Myself I would fall under Religious Skepticism definitely not under the other two.

Hope you do not have a problem with that. I just thought I should clear this up so that you understand better where I am coming from.

Regards,

Superman
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 14:24:30 PM »

PS according to Wiki there seems to be three types of skepticism
1. Scientific Skepticism
2. Religious Skepticsim
3. Philosophical Skepticism
I find this Wiki classification contrived. Skepticism IMHO is a particular approach or mindset to whatever subject you wish. By definition, philosophical skepticism looks awfully like an oxymoron?? WTF
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 14:41:38 PM »

I also find it a bit weird. Science is almost an embodiment of skepticism. If you're not skeptical of science you're doing it wrong.
Superman

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 14:53:04 PM »

Sorry am I misunderstanding. Would you be skeptic about for eg something like evolution that is supported by a lot of evidence. If so I cannot be a skeptic at all hope I do not offend somebody. I really cannot be skeptic about something that is supported by evidence.
Superman

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 15:39:09 PM »

WTF!! Just read the article again. You can count me in for scientific skepticism. Sorry my bad! Cant be turned on the Philosophical Skepticism, never will!

Thought it good that I should give a reason why i.e. philosophical skepticism questions our ability to claim any knowledge about the nature of the world and how we perceive it. Sorry for the edit.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 17:32:06 PM by Superman, Reason: Added my reasons why I dont like philosophical skepticism » Logged
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 21:25:08 PM »

Getting back to the original question of whether to trust or not to trust. I too would blindly follow a stranger's advice on trivial matters, possibly with significant ones, but definately not with those that are potentially life changing. I'll be surprised if most people do not feel this way.

Also, common sense does not automatically make one a cold soul.

Rigil
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: