South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

October 17, 2019, 12:41:37 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Derren Brown

(Read 10960 times)
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 15:07:41 PM »

But nobody even noticed he was there.
There was a Boston Legal episode where a bergie threw a rock at Danny Crane for ignoring him.  Alan Shaw admitted he hadn't noticed him either until the rock was thrown.  I remember thinking how true that was.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 17:19:58 PM »

Oops.  Denny Crane and Alan Shore.

Wink

'Luthon64
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 15:11:08 PM »

Oops.  Denny Crane and Alan Shore.
Thanks for the info.  I've only heard the names, never seen them written down.
AcinonyxScepticus

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 17:12:18 PM »

Could've just plopped it down in a place where there is some other, more immediate distraction around. Hot chick on a sign becomes visible at just that spot, etc...

Remember in magic a major element of the trick is distraction. You won't see the slight if you're being misdirected somewhere else...
I think you're right.  And there might be another contributing factor; consider what you'd be doing walking in one of the busiest pedestrian intersections in London.  I don't know about you but I'd be looking at pedestrians to avoid running into some random person walking in a direction I wasn't expecting - not down at the ground.  The circle he drew around the wallet seems to be for no other reason than to make the audience believe that the circle is significant.

James
Wandapec

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

100% Proud Atheist/Skeptic

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 18:05:28 PM »

Denny Crane and Alan Shore.
They are just frikkin' awesome!  Grin
murraybiscuit

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 13:33:40 PM »

the wallet experiment probably works due to the diffusion of responsibility
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility

in a similar way to pedestrians doing nothing about a suffering person on the side of a busy street (bystander effect)
THE BYSTANDER EFFECT

or nobody calling the cops in the murder of kitty genovese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

the idea is that the larger the crowd, the less inclined the individual is to take personal responsibility if they notice something is wrong.
especially if they see inaction modelled by surrounding people before encountering the situation.
obviously the converse would be true as well.
Superman

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 17:28:27 PM »

Derren Brown "instant conversion" (explained)

Derren Brown "instant conversion" (explained)

In other forums you should not create a topic when it was created before so I post it here.
This is an interesting show since Derren Brown "converts" Atheists to believe in god. I have never believed in hypnotism but this explanation seems to rely heavily on it. Futher the fallback induction is very interesting. Have you discussed this before. I don't think even if Derren Brown is successful in concerting Atheists to believe in god that it would last very long. I would wake up next morning and start to doubt the experience. Do you think this explanation is correct.
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 17:41:33 PM »

As I understand it, hypnotism basically shuts off the conscious mind (this is by the way not something imposed by the hypnotist but rather the subject's ability with some auto-suggestive steps, to concentrate and let his/her mind do whatever is suggested) and lets the 'sub-conscious' step to the fore (this is a hypnotism 101 lesson); so the 'victim' would do anything (with certain limitations) instructed to do as the sub-conscious is incapable of rational thought; hence an atheist becomes 'religious' and certainly vice versa. Also a man becomes a bear and a woman a quacking duck; Once 'awake' and provided the hypnotic auto-suggestions are properly removed, rationality returns and hey presto the atheist is again just him/herself and the bear is again a man...

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: