South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 16, 2018, 23:33:45 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Expropriation of land without compensation.

(Read 4089 times)
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 06:26:17 AM »

This is where I think a lot of us live in a big 'ol bubble. I think this is actually a massively popular issue. Hell, it's always been a big part of the EFF's platform and they came out of nowhere and scored lots of seats in the house riding policies just like this. The *ANC* is threatened by how many votes this can cost them. That says a lot.

The little bit of experience I have had with EFF supporters suggested that they do not so much want land as stuff. They seem to me to be mostly city people (it would be interesting to see where most of the EFF support comes from). They all apparently think that when the EFF comes to power, they are all going to get a big house in the suburbs, plus a big car (some of them told me as much).

It does not occur to them that the geese that lay all these golden eggs will stop producing, but I think in the back of their mind they are fantasizing about a South Africa in which white folks function as slave labour, sustaining a high living standard for EFF supporters while living and being treated the way black house servants lived and were treated in the 1970s. Any farms they take over will simply be stripped of valuables and then left fallow.

I.e.they are actually the party of open racism and revenge. Indeed not really the kind of people anyone in his right mind wants in power. It remains to be seen how much support they really have.
Spike

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 10:09:43 AM »

I do expect our banks to have an egg or two to lay over this cause they stand to lose billions upon billions.
190 billion? I cannot find the source right now
This is where I think a lot of us live in a big 'ol bubble. I think this is actually a massively popular issue. Hell, it's always been a big part of the EFF's platform and they came out of nowhere and scored lots of seats in the house riding policies just like this. The *ANC* is threatened by how many votes this can cost them. That says a lot.
I concur
The little bit of experience I have had with EFF supporters suggested that they do not so much want land as stuff. They seem to me to be mostly city people (it would be interesting to see where most of the EFF support comes from).
Urban, not rural
It does not occur to them that the geese that lay all these golden eggs will stop producing
The EFF is really a "black pride" movement. They emphasize black excellence and downplay white excellence, to the point of refusing to acknowledge it.
I.e.they are actually the party of open racism and revenge. Indeed not really the kind of people anyone in his right mind wants in power. It remains to be seen how much support they really have.
They have significant support among the youth and are becoming the 'new ANC' for the massive generation of people who have never worked and who will never have a job under the ANC.
brianvds

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 11:39:38 AM »

Urban, not rural

That was my impression too. And it makes one wonder why they are so obsessed with farms none of them actually want. I sometimes get the impression it's just a revenge thing: they know how much farms traditionally mean to Afrikaners, and they're going to show them who's boss now. They are really pretty much like passionate teenagers who will shoot up a school and then commit suicide, just for the sake of being heard, and never mind that they go down with the ship.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2018, 13:55:35 PM »

Another perspective.  An eminently sensible one at that.

'Luthon64
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 09:42:56 AM »

Another perspective.  An eminently sensible one at that.

One can hope this insidious rationality could spread.

Mr. Malema this w/e was on fire:
Quote from: Julius Malema
Farmers are taking out bonds on their farms, so that they can say it belongs to the bank when we arrive. They work with the banks to try and make the process of land expropriation without compensation fail. We warn the South African banks that any farm, on which a bond is registered after December 2017, will not be paid by our government. The homeloan bond system is anyway a criminal syndicate, aimed at stealing from the people. We have no respect for bonds. We have no respect for banks, because they are run by criminals. We warn banks we are on the verge of expropriating land without compensation.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2018, 16:27:46 PM »

More Random acts of thinking.
Spike

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 19:08:25 PM »

Name any entity as vicious as a scorned and humiliated politician who also happens to be an illiterate, sneaky, evil-minded thug: https://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/zuma-blames-whites-for-his-removal-13672294
HKGK.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 20:15:59 PM »

Anybody else hear murmurs of unreported farm invasions by the EFF the last couple of days?
brianvds

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 04:20:16 AM »

Anybody else hear murmurs of unreported farm invasions by the EFF the last couple of days?

It was reported on the front page of Rapport. I don't buy the paper and just scanned through. Some or other property in Midrand was involved. It's noteworthy that they only occupy land that is conveniently near urban centres. I don't think they'll ever occupy land somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 13:35:59 PM »

It was reported on the front page of Rapport. I don't buy the paper and just scanned through. Some or other property in Midrand was involved. It's noteworthy that they only occupy land that is conveniently near urban centres. I don't think they'll ever occupy land somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

I think then it's just called an "informal settlement".
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 13:31:16 PM »

EFF grabbing land in Gauteng.
brianvds

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 15:14:47 PM »

Again, noteworthy that it's all conveniently near urban centers. So these are our new and upcoming farmers? Any sign yet of new agricultural activity?

If they ever grab large scale farms in northern Limpopo, it will be for no other reason than to strip them of valuables and then abandon them.

In the meantime, the current land grabs are presumably illegal? I wonder when we can expect to see the police remove them...
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 15:55:02 PM »

Well, if the article is to be believed, this may be a watershed for our dear Pres. to show whether he is bark or bite.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2018, 16:37:36 PM »

Australia starts considering fast-tracking visas for South African farmers. I guess if SA doesn't want productive people producing food, many other countries would be glad to have them. I wonder how far this could end up going if wholesale disowning of property accelerates.

Edit: And SA responds.

Edit2: Spoiler alert: "That's racist"
brianvds

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2018, 17:42:01 PM »

Well, if the article is to be believed, this may be a watershed for our dear Pres. to show whether he is bark or bite.

In his SONA speech he made a big thing about how the constitution must be obeyed. So we'll see whether he was serious.

If nothing is done about these squatters, you can be sure South Africa will see yet another round of emigration, with yet more capital and brains lost.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  
GoogleTagged: yahoo

Jump to: