South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 05, 2019, 18:48:02 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

How Michel Nostradamus stopped the Randi/Dawkins Corp.

(Read 4009 times)
Description: Commenting on an email I got from some Randi basher
bluegray
Administrator

Skeptical ability: +9/-3

saskeptics
« on: March 19, 2008, 08:20:22 AM »

Got this in my inbox yesterday - he sent it to Randi and Dawkins and CC'd a bunch of other skeptical sites and webmasters. I'm honoured  Grin
Quote from: David Mabus
Just in case you folks come up with same idea:

Visit:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/3283/P0/

to see how we stopped James Randi's fraudulent MILLION DOLLAR challenge.....

watch carefully the consequences of Randi's *great idea*…..

For over 40 years James Randi (is this even a REAL NAME?) has had total
control over who and how the testing was conducted, yet despite all this he
has terminated the challenge.

The ONLY REASON why the challenge was stopped is because he lost and refused
to pay.

Apparently, Randi likes to break the rules when it serves him:

http://www.randi.org/joom/content/view/40/32/

"14. This prize will continue to be offered until it is awarded. Upon the
death of James Randi, the administration of the prize will pass into other
hands, and it is intended that it continue in force. "

Great force.....it's over......

where is my MILLION DOLLARS, you LITTLE *NO-NAME* FRAUD

Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 14:37:22 PM »

Aah, but the real question is whether Nostradamus saw that one coming! Grin

One of Randi’s recent SWIFT editions carried an item discussing the changes to the JREF MDC.  All that has changed is the stringency of the requirements for winning the prize, which has been relaxed somewhat.  The probability of passing the preliminary test by chance alone has been increased from 1:1,000 to 1:100, while that of the test proper from 1:1,000,000 to 1:100,000, i.e. by a factor of ten in each case.  Some time before that, Randi mooted the idea of actively pursuing certain high-profile woo-woo nuts, e.g. Sylvia Browne and John Edward, rather than waiting for them to apply, but I don’t know if this is in fact being done.

The challenge has certainly not been put to an end.  Anyone who thinks they can prove otherwise is hereby formally invited to apply for the JREF MDC.

'Luthon64
ArgumentumAdHominem

Skeptical ability: +6/-0

This husk is no longer used

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 16:24:12 PM »

The challenge has certainly not been put to an end.

The JREF MDC will end on 6 March 2010.  The reason given is that the foundation has decided that there are far better uses for the million dollars in executing their mandate.  Randi also says that the million dollar prize failed to draw in the "big fish" like Geller, Browne, Van Praagh and Edwards so he will use the money to actively engage them rather than waiting for them to come to him.

It still means that claimants have a little under 2 years to take the prize, business will continue as usual until 6 March 2010, no need to shout about how the challenge was shut down when in fact you still have a chance to get that money David.  Although, I'm not too sure what his claimed ability was?
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 16:53:05 PM »

Oops, I stand duly corrected.  It would have to be in the one particular SWIFT that I didn’t read in its entirety.

Although, I'm not too sure what [Mabus’s] claimed ability was?
It looks like a supernatural gift for accurate after-the-fact interpretations of Nostradamus’s quatrains, just like all the other Nostradamians, but I can’t seem to find my crystal ball right now…

'Luthon64
ArgumentumAdHominem

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 15:48:56 PM »

It seems that David Mabus is not alone in his delusion that he personally ended the Million Dollar Challenge. In a recent SWIFT comment ...

Quote from: MostFamousDavid, March 28, 2008
Randi,

When will you announce the fact that you have hidden my application for your challenge? Click here for proof. I was featured on your front page. You not only took me down, but have also decided to end your million dollar challenge. Running scared from the truth, are we? I think you are.

If the fact I am a proven psychic is not enough for you, perhaps you will be interested in the fact that I have proof there is life after death.

From Jeff Wagg:
David has never been featured on our front page, nor has he applied for the challenge. He also misunderstands the purpose of the JREF in his video. I encourage everyone to watch it.. it speaks for itself.

The YouTube video is just wacky.  I really thought it was some kind of April Fools' joke for a while.  Nobody could seriously believe him could they?

He has repeatedly said that he has proof that he was featured on the JREF front page, but it isn't displayed anywhere. He has said to "go to the 'links' section" in the comments on YouTube but there is no such place in his YouTube page or http://internetcelebritydavidelliott.info/ website.  Huh?
procrustean

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 20:19:28 PM »

Argumentum,

You will be pleased to learn that Mostfamousdavid is just a satirist. If you watched some of his other videos, you'd see that some people will believe anything. He responds to messages in character, so it's often hard to get the joke. I don't think he should do it, personally, but he enjoys negative attention.

ArgumentumAdHominem

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 22:46:41 PM »

Mostfamousdavid is just a satirist. If you watched some of his other videos, you'd see that some people will believe anything.
I am very relieved, thanks for the update.  He certainly knows all the right things to say to sound authentic.  I just watched the scientology video and it really is clear that it's a satirical piece.
ArgumentumAdHominem

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 23:59:12 PM »

Got this in my inbox yesterday - he sent it to Randi and Dawkins and CC'd a bunch of other skeptical sites and webmasters. I'm honoured  Grin

An update in the latest SWIFT ...

Our associate Jeff Wagg writes about an individual who uses the name "Mabus" – taken from a fictitious name found in the Nostradamus ravings – who has sent us – literally – hundreds and hundreds of spam items, and copies to many hundreds of others, as well. He's a used-computer salesman somewhere in the wilds of Quebec, where he appears to be – at least temporarily – unemployed, and has a lot of time on his hands. Though we've effectively cut him off via a sophisticated spam filtering system, we've also decided to fight fire with fire. Says Jeff:

Sorry to spam the list. This rather confused individual's name is Dennis Markuze. His regular e-mail address is sales@usedcomputershop.com. He might enjoy getting some e-mail from his admirers.

I'm sure you get the message ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: