South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 11, 2017, 17:24:33 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Humans to Mars

(Read 209 times)
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« on: September 30, 2017, 04:38:40 AM »

I am very skeptical of this. If he pulls this off, I will have to eat humble pie, but that's ok. We cannot even control our own climate, but he wants to terraform another planet? Also, the radiation, they will be fried by the time they get to Mars.

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-elon-musk-s-spectacular-plan-to-start-colonising-mars
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 03:40:32 AM »

I am very skeptical of this. If he pulls this off, I will have to eat humble pie, but that's ok. We cannot even control our own climate, but he wants to terraform another planet? Also, the radiation, they will be fried by the time they get to Mars.

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-elon-musk-s-spectacular-plan-to-start-colonising-mars

It's fantasy. In any event, we should not come anywhere near Mars until we are absolutely sure it has no indigenous life.
SKEPRat

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 19:41:10 PM »

Some guys really believe this. I had a long frustrating conversation on my broadband with some guy with an info systems degree about electric aeroplanes. He believed it could be done easily. Then got nasty when all the things to be overcome like energy density/weight ratio and landing weight started becoming more obvious and rained on his parade. Some people really want to believe things.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »

I quite prefer Neil de Grasse Tysons view on the mars colonisation thing (I summarise): What is the logic in spending vast amounts of human resources settling other planets to ensure our survival when, for fractions of those resources, we could prevent tragedies here on earth? We could divert space debris and become environmentally friendly with much more ease and at far lower levels of resource investment than doing a complete overhaul of entire planets.
SKEPRat

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 15:38:25 PM »

Thanks Boogie. Neil de Grasse Tyson is one of my favourite presenters and scientists.
Spike

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 21:04:16 PM »

I am very skeptical of this. If he pulls this off, I will have to eat humble pie

I'll feed it to you with a big spoon  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: