John Edward in South Africa 2009

<< < (3/4) > >>

Owen Swart (November 24, 2009, 15:53:40 PM):
But he also gives people comfort and solace in a time of extreme grief ...

Does he, though? Isn't he just preying on the bereaved when they're at their most vulnerable?

It seems to me that he's polluting their actual memories of their loved ones, by inserting himself into them. Also he fosters the delusion that their loves ones are still around, and not really gone... which may harmfully inhibit their ability to process their loss and get on with their lives.
mdg (November 24, 2009, 17:12:50 PM):
Quote from: r0n1n
But he also gives people comfort and solace in a time of extreme grief ...

I don't think he does that at all. First of all the things he says is so general, it could apply to anyone, and secondly, he's not shy about charging for that comfort and solace.

CaptainKlingon is right, he's preying on people when they're at their most vulnerable. Of all the woo peddlars out there, I hold a special contempt for psychic mediums and psychic healers because they make money out of people's misery.

Quote from: cyghost
I can't see how he would ever convince me and I fail to understand why others choose to believe his bullshit.

We did explain to my sister in law about how cold reading works, but she still thought John Edward was the real thing. It's like trying to convince an alcoholic that they have a problem when they don't think they have one, you're not going to get anywhere.
He just tells people what they want to hear, and that's all that matters to them, even if it's not accurate.

mdg
r0n1n (November 27, 2009, 11:53:01 AM):
It seems to me that he's polluting their actual memories of their loved ones, by inserting himself into them. Also he fosters the delusion that their loves ones are still around, and not really gone... which may harmfully inhibit their ability to process their loss and get on with their lives.

Point well taken, but don't you think that certain people can not go on with their lives because they are worried if the person that died is in a "better place" and makes it easier to go on with life. (if we take the money issue out of the equation)

Make no mistake I do not believe in his bs - but I also like to look out of diffrent angles at it. I think of him the same way that a Hipnosist is charging money for his show - and he entertains the people that paid. :-\
Owen Swart (November 27, 2009, 12:06:40 PM):
Point well taken, but don't you think that certain people can not go on with their lives because they are worried if the person that died is in a "better place" and makes it easier to go on with life.

Yeah, you may be right. I suppose it depends on the individual situation.

If it's simply a matter of loved ones now being "in a better place", that may well provide some comfort. On the other hand, if the bereaved person believes that their dead loved one is somehow in communications range (through the intermediation of a helpful, but expensive, courier), that could have some ongoing damage. I can imagine someone visiting a medium again and again (and paying each time) to have a chat with their dead parent, sibling, spouse or child.

I wonder if it's by accident or design that Christianity (and presumably other major religions) forbids communication with the dead (other than Jesus, of course, but then he's not really dead... another discussion).
BoogieMonster (November 27, 2009, 13:50:13 PM):
It's interesting that religion does "ban" these things yes. BUT:

The bible then goes on to tell the tale of the oak that could interpret dreams for the king and got his skin saved that way. He was, essentially, "fortune telling", but because it's "inspired by god", it's accepted. So, the easy get-out-of-hell-free card for a psychic is to say they're doing it with the help of god, and then the rule doesn't apply.

EDIT: Almost forgot about all the prophecies that get bandied about in the bible. Is a "prophet" then not a fortune teller?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page