John Edward in South Africa 2009

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mandarb (November 23, 2009, 18:43:20 PM):
Yes, good read. Next time I think recording devices, and maybe button hole cameras might be in order. Then you can at least count the hits and misses at your leisure, and give a percentage.

Any indication of what the NDA looks like, and how much it permits? And what happens if you break it?
mdg (November 23, 2009, 20:29:16 PM):
Hi Cyghost and Mandarb,

There were no NDA's,I figure that the laws governing such things are not as stringent here in S.A. As we know, in the USA one can get sued for just about anything, but here it's much more difficult. Perhaps they were testing the water, so to speak, with these shows and we might see some form of NDA with his next visit - this is just speculation on my part.

I did start out trying to keep track of the misses and made my daughter keep track of the hits, but I found it distracting and I wanted to listen to what he said and the reactions he got.

To give a more personal slant to my post....

I had volunteered to hand out some of the envelopes that a group of skeptics handed out at Friday's show. I backed out on Friday morning because a relative had passed away on thursday. I then learned on Friday night that the deceased relative's sister was going to the same show I was going to, but we had different seats. She was sitting below the balcony area that I was in. John Edward moved towards our section and said that there were people related to each other sitting apart, and indicated our section of the audience. I felt a little uncomfortable, but my heart nearly jumped out of my chest when he suddenly asked "who's Brian?" The relative who passed away on thursday was named Brian. :o A guy seated behind my family below, put his hand up and said that his name was Brian, and John proceeded to do a lengthy reading for him - this was one of the people he did an good reading for, good in the sense that he had a good number of "hits". I also tried to check if there was anyone moving around the crowd in the foyer asking questions, but I couldn't spot anyone.

I also watched out for whether he'd make a mistake with pronunciation of our South African names, he never once threw out one - they were all Anglican. The audience was predominantely white, I saw one black face and one or two Indian faces.

I also thought of trying to smuggle in a recording device, but I was worried about feedback - I try to blend in wherever I go and I can tell you I would have died if I suddenly started emitting a loud screech from feedback! ;D
We were also warned that any camera's, cellphones or any kind of recording equipment would be taken and not returned.

I did meet up with my family afterwards for a coffee to discuss what we thought about the show and our opinions ranged between the two extremes, me, the out and out skeptic, and my sister in law the ardent believer.

The 2010 shows will be national, so skeptics in Durbs and Cape Town will also get a chance to see how Edward works.

One credit I will give John Edward though, is that he makes for a better comedian than a psychic medium, but not by much. ;D
Jane of the Jungle (November 24, 2009, 08:24:38 AM):
Hi MdG,

Thanx for the feedback, I couldn’t wait to hear from you guys!

One credit I will give John Edward though, is that he makes for a better comedian than a psychic medium, but not by much. ;D

Laughter makes it much easier for the audience to forget and forgive those misses ;)

cyghost (November 24, 2009, 13:27:50 PM):
I did meet up with my family afterwards for a coffee to discuss what we thought about the show and our opinions ranged between the two extremes, me, the out and out skeptic, and my sister in law the ardent believer.
The very first time I ever saw this dickhead and without having heard of cold reading before, I just thought to myself, "the man is guessing stuff and people are eating it up??" ??? I can't see how he would ever convince me and I fail to understand why others choose to believe his bullshit.
r0n1n (November 24, 2009, 15:39:21 PM):
Fraud according to me. He make use of a method called "cold reading". Cold reading is a mentalist technique used to convince another person that the reader knows much more about a subject than he actually does by carefully analyzing the person's body language, clothing or fashion, hairstyle, gender, sexual orientation, religion, race or ethnicity, level of education, manner of speech, place of origin, etc.

Strange that the dead these days mumble because he never says a person's name - rather a M or D and if he gets nothing he moves on. And always a positive mesage from "the grave"

But he also gives people comfort and solace in a time of extreme grief ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page