South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

November 14, 2019, 18:08:44 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Rock music is the devil's music

(Read 2151 times)
Description: So what are we left with?
Coenie777
« on: January 11, 2010, 22:38:57 PM »

I would appreciate some input as to what the sceptically-minded's view is, regarding the influence of rock and metal music on children and adolescents. Since we abolished the idiotic idea of a devil and demons, it appears that there is no case to be made for rock music other than it may be good entertainment.

Or is there still some psychiatrist somewhere trying to proof that listening to rock music will damage you in some way?
Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »

Head banging probably isn't very good for you, but I'm in favour of sex and drugs. Grin
bluegray
Administrator

Skeptical ability: +9/-3

saskeptics
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »

Alanis Morissette makes rock music. Didn't make me want to kill. Now the Rap music, can't say the same for the Rap music...

Seriously. Music doesn't kill people, people kill people.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »

I'm one of the people who grew up with Nirvana, Marilyn Manson, Korn, Metallica, etc. I was of course told many times it's the devil's music, playing it backwards revealed messages to kill yourself, and generally playing it was BAD for you because it was BAD for plants. (These same people, ironically, would contest they are in no way similar to an ape, but then make the leap to state that what affects a plant badly, will affect a human badly, oh well...)

I also grew up with the other scourge that was going to turn me into a mass-murdering satan-worshipping school shooter-upper: Violent computer games. And lets not forget all those violent horror and action movies I wasn't supposed to watch as a kid.

Add the internet, where I could see what I wanted, when I wanted, while still under age..... I even had a copy of the anarchists cookbook by the time I was 13.

Man, if any of this was true I was in the perfect storm to become the worst violently crazed delinquent rapist the world has ever seen....

Strangely, I grew up a fairly balanced, peaceful, happy person. I don't worship satan, I don't kill goats, I haven't shot myself, I don't go killing shooting people at schools, I don't rape anyone and I even have a degree or two, and I'm a well paid contributing member of society. THUS, based on personal experience, I call absolute, utter bullshit on ALL of the above. If you ask me, my upbringing in my early years had a MUCH bigger effect on my disposition than any of these stimuli, which I think were actually good for me. Hard music and violent games taught me to deal emotionally with anger and fear, they no longer have much of an effect on me.
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 11:38:51 AM »

Boogiemonster said it better than I could but I am also with Bluegray regarding the (c)rap.
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 12:34:28 PM »

I'm one of the people who grew up with Nirvana, Marilyn Manson, Korn, Metallica, etc.
I've never heard of any of those.  In my day it was Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull & Deep Purple, none of which I played backwards (how do you do that with vinyl, anyway).  Nobody cared what we listened to provided it didn't disturb the grown-ups, but we kids lived in our own rondawels at the bottom of the garden, so we could play our stuff pretty loud, smoke weed and generally enjoy our lives sans interference from the clueless adults.  None of us borrowed our elpees from the devil.
bluegray
Administrator

Skeptical ability: +9/-3

saskeptics
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »

In my day it was Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull & Deep Purple, none of which I played backwards (how do you do that with vinyl, anyway).
You can manually turn the record in the opposite direction to get the effect (after taking off the drive belt). Not that I ever did that too much of course. The needle weren't made for it Evil
Still, in the interest of science... Wink

Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 15:53:00 PM »

Nobody cared what we listened to provided it didn't disturb the grown-ups, but we kids lived in our own rondawels at the bottom of the garden, so we could play our stuff pretty loud, smoke weed and generally enjoy our lives sans interference from the clueless adults.

Sounds awesome, I'm jealous.
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 16:48:23 PM »

You've probably all watched Michael Shermer's video http://www.skeptic.com/downloads/ted_shermer_m_2005.mov He explains quite nicely here what is happening.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 17:01:54 PM »

Boogiemonster said it better than I could but I am also with Bluegray regarding the (c)rap.

I'm an equal opportunity listener, I like all kinds of music, including rap. Just because you don't like a certain style of music is no reason to hate on it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go do a drive-by with my homies before we smoke some blunts....
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 20:03:53 PM »

This reminds me of a coda piece occurring at the end of an ’80s album one of my brothers used to play.  It could have been a Sonic Youth album.  Played normally, the track was about 30 seconds of obviously reverse-taped human speech.  One needed to do bestial things to the turntable, stylus and record with a finger to hear the actual message.  As I remember, it started off, “Hi, this is the devil!” and continued to deliver a series of bland mundanities about how taxing it is to be evil incarnate.  Good for a chuckle, good as a bit of ridicule, but ba-a-a-a-d for the Linn Sondek!

ETA: I also once met an individual who confessed to me that they had incinerated all of their Rod Stewart albums.  While I have little aesthetic reason to object to the timely eradication of the post-Faces Stewart catalogue, I found it disturbingly amusing that my informant had relied on the assumed unimpeachability of a Huisgenoot article reporting Stewart’s confessed dabblings in Satanism.

'Luthon64
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »

Nobody cared what we listened to provided it didn't disturb the grown-ups, but we kids lived in our own rondawels at the bottom of the garden, so we could play our stuff pretty loud, smoke weed and generally enjoy our lives sans interference from the clueless adults.

Sounds awesome, I'm jealous.

Not really.  At the end of the school holidays we were packed back to the religious boot camp we attended in lieu of real school and the dreary routine of 5a.m. communion, Bible study, 5 full services a week (including 2 on Sundays) would start all over again.  And weed smoking was deeply frowned upon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: