South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 08, 2019, 13:16:31 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Skeptic events

(Read 9041 times)
Gogtjop
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 16:13:29 PM »

Laser therapy seems like a fantasic solution for the yapping mutt next door. Now where'd I put that mercurochrome...?
Andysor

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 16:19:28 PM »

I tend to agree with Andysor. Here's a post I did today after Dan Dennet's speech ay Tuft's Univesrity and posted by Samuel H Kenyon on Think Atheist:
Dennet asks:
He listed three of his potential futures for religion, and mostly discussed the third possibility:

1. Religion will sweep the planet.
2. Religion is in its death throes.
3. Religion transform into creedless moral teams (ceremony and tradition, but no doctrine).

Which do you think is most likely, and why?  What could we do to help steer to that path?

From my experience in Western Europe the more informed, educated and connected the population the more averse to religion they become. I still go to church on christmas eve as per tradition with my parents, but I don't think either of them really believes Jesus is real. It's an apathetic attitude, but it's nice to take the winter walk and talk about how pathetic the sermon was afterwards. Of course some people in Norway (think around 10%) do identify with believing in a personal God, but most people don't. The New Atheism, which is mainly a reaction to the situation in the US, is not necessary there as people don't feel religion infringes upon anything in society.

In SA the situation is totally different from Europe, and probably quite similar to the more backwaterish US states. Of course there isn't much of an apologetics movement here and people mostly believe with very little intellectual pondering. It's mostly a lack of exposure to anything else. Informed Christians are very rare here. Unfortunately I think religiosity and argumentative skills are too often inversely related making constructive, logical conversation all to difficult. Seeing people being open about their atheism and experiencing their "goodness" is probably the most effective way to, at the very least, reduce prejudice in the workplace and public life.
Andysor

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 16:26:54 PM »

The missis and I have a friend couple (if that's the right description?) who are YECs and the lady lost one of her dogs and consulted a dog-psychic to help find the mutt. The dog eventually came back on its own accord. The MiL also gives her dogs homeopathic remedies which she swears works. Yet another acquaintance (who is a vet) is taking a course in pet iridology. So humans aren't the only victims...
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 08:06:54 AM »

Unfortunately I think religiosity and argumentative skills are too often inversely related making constructive, logical conversation all to difficult. Seeing people being open about their atheism and experiencing their "goodness" is probably the most effective way to, at the very least, reduce prejudice in the workplace and public life.
Nicely put. I agree. People in SA who are genuinely curious and do honest research into their religion usually end up in the skeptic tent. The ones who remain adamantly faithful are mostly lacking in hard-won knowledge and trying to use logic and critical thinking with them inevitably turns into ad hominum mudslinging. In my experience I have found many people who were surprised to find out, after knowing me for some time, that I'm an atheist. One guy even said, "Really? An atheist? I thought you were such a nice guy!"

Recently someone used that line, "Oh you're an atheist? So you don't believe in anything?" I replied, "I believe in beauty, and honesty, and truth, and integrity, and compassion, and respect ... it's only God I don't believe in." Non-argumentative is usually the best approach. Nice post Andysor Smiley
GCG

Skeptical ability: +8/-4

skeptical mantis is skeptical

adele horn
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 15:53:06 PM »

"Really? An atheist? I thought you were such a nice guy!"
my response to that would be 'really?  i thought you were straight!  just goes to show, you never know....'
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 16:01:45 PM »

I walked into a store with my daughter wearing jeans etc the other day when I felt a sharp tug at my trousers. This Muslim guy says to me with that look: "Do you know this is a Muslim store?" I turned to him and said "Shame man, I think there are pills to cure that" and carried on shopping.  WTF!!
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 07:40:50 AM »

I walked into a store with my daughter wearing jeans etc the other day when I felt a sharp tug at my trousers. This Muslim guy says to me with that look: "Do you know this is a Muslim store?" I turned to him and said "Shame man, I think there are pills to cure that" and carried on shopping.  WTF!!

O-wow, I would'nt be able to resist rounding up my teenage son's girlfriends, dress them up in skimpy outfits and go on a window shopping spree..... Where's this store?  Evil
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 08:35:25 AM »

In Durban. The Westwood Shopping Mall near the Westville campus of the University is totally owned by Muslims...they forbid the sale of any alcohol; pork in the supermarkets (P&P etc) on the premises. Now I guess they have the right to do that but why do business owners not tell them to freck off? When I go into a shopping mall and I look for products in a normal outlet I want it! So you can go to Spurs in the mall, but no bacon, no beer/wine, all patties must be halaal (no pork mince in them) etc etc. I walked out of the Spur (we were 8 people) and told them to stick their frecking religion where the sun don't shine!
Andysor

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »

I guess it's legal to have conditions when you rent out space to somebody, but it seems very short-sighted if you want to attract more than one type of customer.

I would have serious issues if I was told how to behave or dress, however.
GCG

adele horn
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 11:16:05 AM »

im unfortunately one of those ppl who just dont shut up.  i would have sworn at him in languages his forefathers spoke.  this is a free country.  i will go where i will.  dress any way i like.  the fact that it is a public space, means that anybody can go there.
if they will only allow a certain dress code, then they should say so on the door, and then face the constitutional court.
Andysor

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »

im unfortunately one of those ppl who just dont shut up.  i would have sworn at him in languages his forefathers spoke.  this is a free country.  i will go where i will.  dress any way i like.  the fact that it is a public space, means that anybody can go there.
if they will only allow a certain dress code, then they should say so on the door, and then face the constitutional court.

To be nitpicky, although I'm not a lawyer, I don't think a mall qualifies as a public space. It is a private space and they probably have "Right of admission reserved" posted on the door. Malls usually ban roller-blades and skateboards for example. It's like a nightclub or a restaurant with a dress code, or a mosque where you're required to remove your shoes.
GCG

adele horn
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 12:00:29 PM »

that's kinda weird then, coz i think, according to the smoking laws passed, you cant smoke in public places, malls for under that.  but ja, i guess if they wanted to, they can tell you get stuffed.
Andysor

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »

I think, legally, there's a difference between "public places" and "public property". If you operate a business with customer access I think that counts as a "public place" while still being private property.

The smoking law is very detailed, specifying places like entrances to buildings, private homes used for childcare, cars transporting children younger than 12 and any place of employment as smoke-free.
Wandapec

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

100% Proud Atheist/Skeptic

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 13:11:31 PM »

a mosque where you're required to remove your shoes.
In case of bombs? ....or is that vests?  Tongue
Julian

Skeptical ability: +2/-1

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »

My but Richard Dawkins was a rather dashing fellow in his youth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: