South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

August 12, 2020, 17:37:56 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

South African Skeptics in the pub

(Read 56270 times)
Description: As it says
bluegray
Administrator

Skeptical ability: +9/-3

saskeptics
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2009, 22:42:44 PM »

Click here to participate in the survey. The survey is open from now until Friday, 25 September 2009. I will compile the results on the 26th and notify all respondents of the results right here and on the Facebook group page.
That's quite a nice survey page you have there - nice work!
AcinonyxScepticus

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2009, 19:39:37 PM »

That's quite a nice survey page you have there - nice work!

Thank you, although all the hard work in designing a feedback form is done by Google Docs which means that I can't take a lot of credit.

On the other hand, I have compiled the results of the survey in a PDF document for which I can take full credit Smiley. The results are now available here for all interested parties.

James
Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2009, 19:20:16 PM »

Good thing I checked the Facebook page, nearly missed it:

Sceptics in the Pub - Joburg
Time:7:00PM Wednesday, November 4th
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2009, 21:10:10 PM »

The Dros website doesn't list any "Greenstone" branch. Where is this?
Mandarb

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2009, 07:37:52 AM »

It's the Dros Edenmeadows branch. On Van Riebeeck road, if you take the Modderfontein offramp on the N3
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2009, 10:04:02 AM »

Excellent, thanks.
AcinonyxScepticus

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2009, 21:03:32 PM »

It has been an excellent month for Sceptics in the Pub.

This month we celebrated our 1 year anniversary of Sceptics in the Pub by ... uhhh ... drinking ... sceptically.  Wink

But the good news doesn't stop there, Angela has launched Sceptics in the Pub - Durban and we have found there is enough interest to launch Sceptics in the Pub - Pretoria in the same month.

So, go on; seek out your fellow sceptics in a city near you!

James
AcinonyxScepticus

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2009, 22:58:21 PM »

Just a quick announcement.  If, like me, you are interested in growing Sceptics in the Pub in your area (even if there isn't one, it's a good way to start one) or just want something clean to wear to the next meeting, I have uploaded a template for a Sceptics in the Pub T-Shirt that you can now buy online.

Sceptics in the Pub shop (payment in USD, sizing in inches).
Sceptics in the Pub shop (payment in GBP, sizing in centimetres).

It's a "basic" shop at the moment, which means that I don't pay for the space, but I am limited to making only one design available on the shirts.  The tiny mark-up of a dollar is being used to fund the future expansion of the store - ultimately I don't want to make a profit from this, but it would be nice if it is a self-funding endeavour.  

If you are interested in design alternatives (the other spelling, for instance, or different text) then let me know and I can upgrade the shop to a premium shop (which will cost me about $5 a month) and that will allow me to upload more designs.

Obviously, the hope is that this gets picked-up around the world and shirts (not necessarily this exact design) are worn in more and more places which will get more people into the pubs or, at the very least, more people aware of the sceptical movement.  It's not my area of expertise but I imagine that university and college students might enjoy wearing a shirt that promotes going to the pub.  Wink

James

P.S. If you have the ability to make a shirt locally at a lower price and you would just like to steal the logo, you might be able to twist my arm.  Wink
Owen Swart
Officer in Charge, SciOps

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

Fleet Captain Owen Swart of the Starship Dauntless

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2009, 13:36:19 PM »

The next two Sceptics in the Pub events are up on Facebook:

Joburg (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=189001828837)
Pretoria (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=197373980744)

Hope to see you there!
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2009, 22:28:29 PM »

Wouldn't miss it.
GCG

Skeptical ability: +8/-4

skeptical mantis is skeptical

adele horn
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »

i'm a newbie to this community, and find myself wondering if i'm mentally adept enought to join the discussion at the pub.  nothing sucks more than thinking you know stuff, and then you actually dont.
earlier in this post there was referred to pulling mensa into this, and my brain flinched, cause i am by not stretch of anybody's imagination, smarter than the regular joe soap. i dont think my self-esteem cant ake being made to look like a total douche in the company is really smart people.  you know, those with the spectacles and the high foreheads.  that wear the check shirts that have ink stains on the shirt pockets.
is this for seriously brainy people, or can the regular garden variety sceptic join in with their arb ramblings.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2009, 10:10:20 AM »

Oh please, we sit around and talk a lot of shit generally. I'm sure you'd cope just fine.
GCG

Skeptical ability: +8/-4

skeptical mantis is skeptical

adele horn
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »

cool, cause im one of those strange people with the weird hair and tattoos and piercings, and people generally avoid me, or not take me seriously.
i will try my damnedest to be there 2 dec.
Owen Swart

« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

i'm a newbie to this community, and find myself wondering if i'm mentally adept enought to join the discussion at the pub.  nothing sucks more than thinking you know stuff, and then you actually dont.

It's really nothing to worry about. At the SiTP's in Joburg so far, it's been consistently a very informal affair, and there are a wide range of perspectives represented: from hard-core academic types, to new sceptics and even the occasional believer. There's room for everyone, and the discussion is almost always light and jovial... no intense debates or anything like that.

(In fact we often spend more time talking about things like music, movies and sports than sceptical things. Okay, I lied about the sports part.)

One of the nice things about SiTP is that there's always someone there who knows more than you do about a given subject... there's plenty to learn, and everyone has something to offer to the discussion.

earlier in this post there was referred to pulling mensa into this, and my brain flinched, cause i am by not stretch of anybody's imagination, smarter than the regular joe soap. i dont think my self-esteem cant ake being made to look like a total douche in the company is really smart people.  you know, those with the spectacles and the high foreheads.  that wear the check shirts that have ink stains on the shirt pockets.
is this for seriously brainy people, or can the regular garden variety sceptic join in with their arb ramblings.

I wouldn't worry too much about Mensa either... I often say they're the dumbest bunch of smart people I've ever met Smiley (I'm a former Mensan myself, so I include myself in that category) The idea to invite them came only from the fact that some Mensans I know are sceptics too, and may well enjoy hanging out in a pub talking about sceptical things. As far as I know, I don't think we've had more than 2 Mensans at any given SiTP so far.

We'd love for you to come and join us. And if you've got any sceptical friends, bring them along!
Owen Swart

« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »

cool, cause im one of those strange people with the weird hair and tattoos and piercings, and people generally avoid me, or not take me seriously.
i will try my damnedest to be there 2 dec.

LOL. Just FYI, my avatar pic is an actual photo of me in my Starfleet uniform. Weird is normal for us Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: