South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

October 14, 2019, 08:04:56 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Steve on 702

(Read 22705 times)
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 00:09:35 AM »

Well done, Steve.   You covered a lot of ground and many of the issues you raised may be familiar to us on the forum or to people who have read books on the topic, but would be new to the general listening public.   By contrast the religious callers' responses were not convincing at all.   May it help to sell your book.
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:46 AM »

Well done, Steve. Got to listen to it last night. You speak eloquently and from the heart.

One bone of contention, at around 13 minutes you say Christianity is not a true religion (and I don't quite know what you mean by that) but you also say that Jesus never existed and that this is supported by scholars.

It is my current understanding that *most* scholars actually content that there was a preacher called Jesus around 1 AD on which Christianity is based.

There were several very interesting debates on dawkinsnet and now on rationalskepticism where the Jesus mythers have been shown wrong in my opinion.
mdg

Skeptical ability: +5/-0

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 08:10:56 AM »

I also sat and listened to it last night and I have to echo everyone else; well done Steve.
I'm afraid that I wouldn't have had the patience either to listen to some of those people; especially the woman who insisted that god put the sun up in the sky every morning.  Huh?

@cyghost
I think what Steve was saying about Jesus not existing is that the Jesus of the bible never existed.(That's the way I read it anyway, I  may be wrong in what Steve meant).
I'd also like to hear what he meant by Chritianity not being a true religion.

mdg
benguela

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

An infinitesimal subset of the observable universe

benguela
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 09:06:32 AM »

Nice one Steve, just listened to it.

One suggestion for next time is to challenge the presenters' position, and some of the callers, of believing in God because it makes him feel comfortable.

cyghost
Skeptically yours

Carpe diem

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »

I think what Steve was saying about Jesus not existing is that the Jesus of the bible never existed.
As the Son of God with miracles and stuffs? Bah, we all know that, only crazy people believe otherwise  Cheesy

Steve also said he was in his 50ties but he sounds much younger!

ETA: yikes, listening to it a second time. At around 43min Steve says "Evolution is no longer just a theory, it has been proven". Evolution is a fact. The Theory of Evolution is a theory and will remain a theory, and is basically a model we have explaining the fact of evolution. A small bone to pick but damn I have had so much problems with this in the past, I'd rather we have it 100% right all the time. 
Teleological
Moderate Realist

Skeptical ability: +2/-28

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »

Thanks everyone.

And Tele, are you STILL going on about God not being an entity who actually exists? Would that not make Him a "spititual" Being who exists in the real physical sense of the word? Or do you concede that He is merely a figment of people's imagination and therefore doesn't actually, physically exist? Are we not talking about definitions here? Surely if you say God is a "spiritual" being and not a "physical" being, then you are also saying He doesn't exist in the real world as an actual Being - which would make God a myth, a figment of human imagination. I guess you'd need to listen to the show and decide for yourself (heheh).
Steve, the problem is with you describing God as some PHYSICAL being. You have not qualified what you mean by "physical" and it is bound to lead to confusion. Could you please clarify what you mean when you say God is a physical being?
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Carpe diem

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 10:05:07 AM »

On a quick side note, Kieno says he beliefs in God because he wants to and it gives him comfort. But he keeps harping on about the problem of evil and I feel we should warn him, at least this atheist is evidence that the problem of evil has had a great deal with turning him to atheism.  Grin
Teleological
Moderate Realist

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »

On a quick side note, Kieno says he beliefs in God because he wants to and it gives him comfort. But he keeps harping on about the problem of evil and I feel we should warn him, at least this atheist is evidence that the problem of evil has had a great deal with turning him to atheism.  Grin
I suspect Kieno has a proper understanding of the term "good" and "goodness"...
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Carpe diem

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »

Do you now? What leads to you to believe this?
Teleological
Moderate Realist

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 10:28:45 AM »

Oh I donno, Kieno seems like a rational person and rational people tend to have some idea or understanding of "good" and "goodness" right? Maybe it was my intuition pumps that worked overtime...Shocked Tongue
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Carpe diem

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 10:30:46 AM »

And that when we just learned that "intuition" should at the very best be regarded as pointers eh?
Teleological
Moderate Realist

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »

Did you think my suspicions are anything more than pointers ROFL? Oh well, at least you learned something new.
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Carpe diem

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 11:36:43 AM »

roflol Not at all. I simply think your "suspicions" are highly suspect and you are a known liar.

Two facts which makes me watch everything you say closely. roflol and stuff.
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

Nice one Steve, just listened to it.

One suggestion for next time is to challenge the presenters' position, and some of the callers, of believing in God because it makes him feel comfortable.
He actually did point out that it does not make it true.
Teleological
Moderate Realist

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 13:38:25 PM »

roflol Not at all. I simply think your "suspicions" are highly suspect and you are a known liar.

Two facts which makes me watch everything you say closely. roflol and stuff.
Oh gee, delightful little character you are, shall I retort:

You are a known liar and think you never began to lie in your life, two facts that make me not want to take you seriously in any conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: