South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 17, 2018, 00:33:35 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Suicide rates

(Read 1208 times)
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« on: May 09, 2018, 08:15:48 AM »

An old skydiving friend shared a list of deceased South African skydivers with me, morbid I know  Sad . The list includes things like old age, so some were not active skydivers at the time. Thing is that 9% of them were suicides. Is that normal, or are thrill seekers more inclined? What is the suicide rate in a group of people?
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 09:54:16 AM »

An old skydiving friend shared a list of deceased South African skydivers with me, morbid I know  Sad . The list includes things like old age, so some were not active skydivers at the time. Thing is that 9% of them were suicides. Is that normal, or are thrill seekers more inclined? What is the suicide rate in a group of people?

I have absolutely no idea. But perhaps when thrill seekers get too old to seek thrills anymore (or quit under pressure from families), they get depressed? Or perhaps death is the ultimate thrill? Dunno, but a 9% rate seems rather large. How big is the sample? Perhaps lots of them were former parabats or policemen traumatized by war and crime scenes?
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »

It's only on 126, not a big sample, but 9% seems to be a lot.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »

It is high. The general suicide rate for Africa is measured in single digits per 100k, though worldwide it tends to be higher for men than women [1]. So that could be factor 1, I've met some female adrenaline junkies but anecdotally it seems to be more of a male thing. So the suicide should be higher in that group. BUT not that high.

I do suspect that the dopamine receptors of extreme sports participants lose a lot of their sensitivity and, since low dopamine receptiveness is associated with depression and suicide [2], it would stand to reason.

I do speculate here: the reason a portion of them could've been extreme sports fans in the first place was in a search for dopamine stimulation they weren't getting otherwise.
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »

I dont know the stats, but was in a conference about suicide rates a month ago and there has been a spike in the last 24 months locally. Could be the state of the nation.
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 18:34:16 PM »

It's obvious. Suicidal people are more likely to skydive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: