South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

July 09, 2020, 04:28:16 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

The hitch on having cancer.

(Read 4617 times)
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« on: August 20, 2010, 17:20:43 PM »

So, I'm sure most of you know by now that C. Hitchens has cancer. Here's a link of him (now hairless), having a talk about his own mortality, prayer, and death bed conversions:

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/05/hitchens-on-cancer-diagnosis-why-not-me/

It's so incredibly sad that we may have to see him go at the height of his influence. He's a powerful mouthpiece for our kind and I don't much cherish the thought of losing one of our loudest voices in the world. (Besides the fact that seeing a human being die like that is just incredibly sad, especially since we may someday soon actually "cure" cancer.)
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »

I too am deeply saddened by the Hitch's cancer. I am a HUGE fan of his and LOVE his almost pompous British mannerisms. I recently read his book God Is Not Great - awesome. Pity I can't watch the video due to my pathetic internet cap  Cry
Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »

This makes me sad, I don't even want to talk about it. Angry

This letter from Mr Deity cheered me up a bit though. Grin

Steve, which Hitchens movie are you looking for? Is it Collision, the one will Douglas Wilson? I've got a good quality version that's about 1GB. I've also got most of his other stuff too.
Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 13:16:26 PM »

Oh, wait, you meant the Anderson Cooper interview. It's only 19MB, I can upload the file somewhere if you like.
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:02 AM »

Oh, wait, you meant the Anderson Cooper interview. It's only 19MB, I can upload the file somewhere if you like.

Oooooh yummy. Me thinks I need to come and see you with me external hard-drive.

My son came to visit this weekend and when I opened my internet this morning it said: "Warning: your cap is 500,000 mb and you have used 800,000 mb". I'm gonna kill him!!! I was only up to about 200 and still being careful. Taking the kids out for my birthday tonight - so now I'm seriously gonna take him out. Aaargh. This means I can't even download a 19mb video. If you are somewhere in Jhb or Pta I would LOVE to swap videos with you (I have about 4 seasons of Penn and Teller's Bullshit, plenty of TEDs, Richard Dawkins etc).
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »

This letter from Mr Deity cheered me up a bit though. Grin

Steve, which Hitchens movie are you looking for? Is it Collision, the one will Douglas Wilson? I've got a good quality version that's about 1GB. I've also got most of his other stuff too.

Brilliant link - read the whole thing. Thanks. I don't have any Hitch vid's - wannem all.
Michael Meadon

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

michaelmeadon
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:20:17 AM »

A bunch of us think the best way to respond to "Pray for Hitchens Day" is to 'hold' a counter event, "Blaspheme for Hitchens Day". Check it out on FB
Teleological
Moderate Realist

Skeptical ability: +2/-28

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »

A bunch of us think the best way to respond to "Pray for Hitchens Day" is to 'hold' a counter event, "Blaspheme for Hitchens Day". Check it out on FB

So the best way according you is to stoop to their level (in your mind anyway) and swear at entities you believe do not exist all just to get some attention or to irritate people or whatever? Bit childish, but to each his own I guess.

I am still trying to figure out the logic behind a person that shouts and moans and swears at something they believe does not exist. It's a bit like someone blaming square triangles for the geometry problems of the world and then swearing at it. Fun to watch it must be said (these blasphemy events), yet sad, and many of these people like to refer to themselves as rationalists (with 99% of them probably having no clue as to the difference between a rationalist, empiricist and a realist  Shocked)Huh?...

At least Hitch seems to make a meal out of his mortality. Good show I guess.
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 15:03:02 PM »

"Pray for Hitchens Day"

Ah, that familiar smug smile of deluded virtue again!   Hark the holy revelling in leedvermaak!

So the best way according you is to stoop to their level (in your mind anyway) and swear at entities you believe do not exist all just to get some attention or to irritate people or whatever? Bit childish, but to each his own I guess.

I am still trying to figure out the logic behind a person that shouts and moans and swears at something they believe does not exist. It's a bit like someone blaming square triangles for the geometry problems of the world and then swearing at it. Fun to watch it must be said (these blasphemy events), yet sad, and many of these people like to refer to themselves as rationalists (with 99% of them probably having no clue as to the difference between a rationalist, empiricist and a realist  Shocked)Huh?...

At least Hitch seems to make a meal out of his mortality. Good show I guess.

Are you going to pray for him, Tele?
Michael Meadon

michaelmeadon
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 21:54:09 PM »

If you took the trouble to (1) look up the word "blaspheme", (2) pay attention to the world around you, and (3) not make unreasonable assumptions, you might just notice how idiotic that sentence is.
Michael Meadon

michaelmeadon
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 22:08:10 PM »

(with 99% of them probably having no clue as to the difference between a rationalist, empiricist and a realist)

The arrogance of ignorance on display here is astounding. The person who created the event? Full professor of philosophy. The other admins? One has an MA in philosophy, the other a Ph.D. As for the last two, she has an MA in science journalism and he (i.e. me) has a honors in philosophy. On a random scroll through the people 'attending' I see a Ph.D in cosmology, and a bunch more grad students / MAs. And those are the people I know.

But, hey. It's better to just assume people I disagree with are uneducated idiots!!
Teleological
Moderate Realist

Skeptical ability: +2/-28

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:18:42 AM »

If you took the trouble to (1) look up the word "blaspheme", (2) pay attention to the world around you, and (3) not make unreasonable assumptions, you might just notice how idiotic that sentence is.

1) Perhaps you should look it up? Here: Blaspheme, blaspheme, blaspheme
2) Looks at the world around me, sees people who tries to speak of entities that they don't believe in in an irreverent, impious manner. Asks for the logic behind it... can't get a logical answer. Waits...
3) Assumption 1: People are trying to organise a "Blaspheme for Hitchens Day" in response to "Pray for Hitchens Day" as some sort of counter event.
Assumption 2: These people are doing it for some unknown reason. Possible reasons are a) a counter event for some attention seeking, b) a counter event at an attempt to irritate people, c) no particular rational reason... d) insert whatever here (hopefully we can get a rational reason soon).

(with 99% of them probably having no clue as to the difference between a rationalist, empiricist and a realist)

The arrogance of ignorance on display here is astounding. The person who created the event? Full professor of philosophy. The other admins? One has an MA in philosophy, the other a Ph.D. As for the last two, she has an MA in science journalism and he (i.e. me) has a honors in philosophy. On a random scroll through the people 'attending' I see a Ph.D in cosmology, and a bunch more grad students / MAs. And those are the people I know.

But, hey. It's better to just assume people I disagree with are uneducated idiots!!

A full professor of philosophy created the event  Huh? ? That's it, there must be some rational reason for it. Do you think we will read about it some day?

BTW, many educated idiots (not saying any of you are btw) are oblivious of the differences between a rationalist, empiricist and realists. But now you have interested me, what do you think you are if any (and perhaps the other educated folk, what do you think they are)?

Are you going to pray for him, Tele?

Naw...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 17:06:52 PM by Teleological » Logged
Julian

Skeptical ability: +2/-1

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »

BTW, many educated idiots (not saying any of you are btw) are oblivious of the differences between a rationalist, empiricist and realists. But now you have interested me, what do you think you are if any (and perhaps the other educated folk, what do you think they are)?

Telly you really love to take surveys of people's philosophical beliefs. Are you a sociologist perhaps?
Julian

Skeptical ability: +2/-1

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 11:30:01 AM »

people's or peoples'? damn this spelling thing is a challenge sometimes.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +63/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 11:52:03 AM »

It’s “people’s” if you’re talking of something all people generally possess, for example “people’s legs.”  If you mean something possessed by or belonging to the people of two or more different tribes, cultures, countries, lines of descent, etc. – i.e. where it is legitimate to speak of “peoples” (plural) – then it’s “peoples’,” for example “South America’s indigenous peoples’ art and culture…”

The way to sort this out is to decide whether the noun is singular or plural for which a possessive is to be indicated; if the noun itself is already a plural form then it’s treated as if it was singular.  So, for example, it would be “children’s stories.”

'Luthon64
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: