The joy of Facebook

<< < (25/51) > >>

brianvds (April 24, 2017, 09:41:42 AM):
As for the “O” in BODMAS, it stands for “orders,” as in exponentiation, which takes precedence over multiplication and division.

Indeed, but as I noted, I now see in primary school math textbooks that it stands for "of." Which is problematic, because I tutor once a week at a home schooling centre where they use one of these textbooks.

Of course, "of" really means multiplication, so "half of 6" is pretty much the same thing as "half x 6", so if you use your BODMAS rule like that you'll still get correct answers, but only if you treat "of", x and divide as equals (and therefore evaluate them from left to right). And I don't think that is the way they do it in schools.

I get the impression that at school level (or at least in many schools), the BODMAS rule (or PEMDAS, or whatever else they use as mnemonic) is taken too literally, as a sort of rigid rule that must be followed precisely as stated, i.e. always doing division before multiplication, rather than treating them as equals. And as we can see, in some cases that will result in wrong answers.

And why does this happen? Because the teachers and the authors of the textbooks have "qualifications" in education rather than in math. That's my theory, anyway. :-)
BoogieMonster (April 24, 2017, 10:04:30 AM):
MY JoFB this week is the general clusterfuck my FB wall has become due to Potato-Head causing a herd of sheep to gather in the desert and celebrate their ignorance together. If atheists were really as evil as they believed the place would be a crater by now.

TL;DR: Clever pastor realises if you make everyone kneel those who are standing up will feel the wind more.
brianvds (April 24, 2017, 10:12:33 AM):
Angus' great gatherings strike me as yet more horizontal prayer (which that Jewish carpenter guy explicitly rejected). Furthermore, apparently he also said some things that are actually against the law to say in public, such as "no to homosexuality." Of course, being the staunch supporter of free speech that I am, I don't think it should be illegal to say such things (or to suggest that white men should be disenfranchised). But still - if some right wing nut said it, someone would drag him in front of court faster than you can say "Heil Hitler."

My problem isn't really with religion as such, mind you. More with this sort of simplistic theology, that sees God as a sort of super-technology which you use to do things indistinguishable from magic. I don't know if God is laughing or frowning at the whole thing. :-)
Mefiante (April 24, 2017, 10:19:56 AM):
Indeed, but as I noted, I now see in primary school math textbooks that it stands for "of." Which is problematic, because I tutor once a week at a home schooling centre where they use one of these textbooks.

Of course, "of" really means multiplication, so "half of 6" is pretty much the same thing as "half x 6", so if you use your BODMAS rule like that you'll still get correct answers, but only if you treat "of", x and divide as equals (and therefore evaluate them from left to right). And I don't think that is the way they do it in schools.

I get the impression that at school level (or at least in many schools), the BODMAS rule (or PEMDAS, or whatever else they use as mnemonic) is taken too literally, as a sort of rigid rule that must be followed precisely as stated, i.e. always doing division before multiplication, rather than treating them as equals. And as we can see, in some cases that will result in wrong answers.

And why does this happen? Because the teachers and the authors of the textbooks have "qualifications" in education rather than in math. That's my theory, anyway. :-)
The essential problem with BODMAS/PEMDAS et al. is that such mnemonics fail to indicate that multiplication and division are two sides of the same coin, as are addition and subtraction. Without this insight, BODMAS wrongly indicates that division precedes multiplication, while PEMDAS wrongly indicates the opposite, and both wrongly indicate that addition precedes subtraction.

One can revise the mnemonics to BODA/BOMA/BODS/BOMS and PEMA/PEMS/PEDA/PEDS on the understanding that “M” (or “D”) specifies both multiplication and division, and “A” (or “S”) specifies both addition and subtraction. Alternatively, one could be explicit about it with BODaMAaS or PEMaDAaS where the lower case “a” means “and”.

In any case, once a person properly understands the precedence rules and the reasons for them (mostly notational compactness and non-ambiguity), such mnemonics are entirely superfluous. In fact, it’s my considered view that they are actually an impediment to such proper understanding because it’s easier memorising a mnemonic than penetrating to the proverbial grass roots of the matter.

As to why the confusion happens, it’s very likely as you say, namely that understanding of the subject matter is far less important than the hazy, imprecise wafflings of pedagogic theory.

'Luthon64
Mefiante (April 24, 2017, 11:25:49 AM):
Speaking of Uncle Spudley, here’s some proposed new legislation that I could support were it not yet another attempt by our megalomaniacal (and ineffective) government to interfere in people’s private lives. You’d have thought that by now they would have learnt that you can’t legislate away the stupid.

'Luthon64

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page