South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

September 15, 2019, 20:08:28 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

The Locator Locates! (Danie Krugel)

(Read 81021 times)
SSiE

Skeptical ability: +2/-0

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2008, 08:22:15 AM »

Thanks for the responses, and yes, after sleeping on it I do feel that I crossed a line in directly proposing a test for Krugel. I have, however planted that seed and cannot 'unplant' it, but will not push the issue any further.

What I still feel strongly about is that they should be made aware of the facts, and I have contacted one person who was willing to talk about DK in the past and asked if they would be willing to speak to Winter's family. I'm not going to push from my side, as this will no doubt be perceived very negatively if I continue.

OK, all that being said, does anybody here have any idea on how to expose Krugel, without interfering in some highly emotional case? These are the only ones he ever gets involved in, no doubt for exactly the reasons we have discussed in the previous 5 posts: When dealing with highly emotional people grasping at straws, there's little chance of them questioning you, and the skeptics will stay away out of respect.A nice little catch-22 for people like us who want to see him exposed. This is part of why I took the step of proposing the test to them, as I really cannot see any other way.

Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2008, 10:49:06 AM »

I have, however planted that seed and cannot 'unplant' it, but will not push the issue any further.

What I still feel strongly about is that [Winter's family] should be made aware of the facts,…
I agree unreservedly.  Perhaps the best way would be to collate a short one or two page overview report covering three main issues: (1) the sheer implausibility of the physics of Krügel’s claims; (2) his claimed successes and why they probably are false or exaggerated or have a more prosaic explanation, and (3) his manifest failures.  To add to its weight, the report should carry the signature of one or other university’s physics authority, before handing it to Winter’s family for their consideration.

OK, all that being said, does anybody here have any idea on how to expose Krugel, without interfering in some highly emotional case?
In an earlier post, I made reference to the relative ease, as compared to the rest of the world, with which patents can be filed in SA, and that Krügel had been reported as being in the process of doing so for his KTT device.  The gist of it is that in SA patent law, questions of originality, effectiveness and uniqueness are left open for settlement by litigation.  This curiosity presents an opening for someone, possibly a group, with the appropriate wherewithal to file a very similar patent and then, once granted, either wait to be sued by Krügel or to sue him first for patent infringement.  The ensuing court case will show who’s lying because then Krügel will have no choice but to demonstrate that his machine does as he claims.  We, that is Dr 'Luthon64 and I, would be more than willing to contribute to such an initiative.

'Luthon64
bluegray
Administrator

Skeptical ability: +9/-3

saskeptics
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2008, 13:07:24 PM »

Quote from: SSiE
The next question is one of distribution. Should we just put this up for as many willing skeptics to host and reference, or is a custom blog a better idea? I've had a suggestion to create 'truthaboutdaniekrugel.wordpress.com' or something similar, and dedicate it exclusively to the combined efforts of many sa skeptics who wish to contribute. Any feelings for or against this? The benefits are that we can get such an address to come up as number one Google search, while it also allows a single place to collect endorsements from skeptics or academics who feel up to it.
A dedicated blog is a good idea, I will also be willing to help out with hosting if need be. Lets discuss this further in a new thread: http://forum.skeptic.za.org/members-only/danie-krugel-fact-sheet/
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2008, 20:34:20 PM »

Amid the confusion and turmoil of Kerry Winters’ disappearance in Dubai, Danie Krügel has retained his newly-awarded status of “academic.”  Newly-awarded, that is, through a careless and unverified assumption, possibly a deliberate fabrication, on the part of a reporter, one that has gone unchecked by a subeditor, who collaboratively have ensured that Krügel’s transition from security officer to academic must rank among the very fastest on record.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the second time this untruth has appeared in print.  In turn, that means it has now become an ironclad fact and will be repeated in perpetuity as such because, after all, there are now two citable references for it.

'Luthon64
mdg

Skeptical ability: +5/-0

« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2008, 20:59:07 PM »

After reading the link provided by 'Luthon64, I decided to check for an email address to send a letter correcting the report and found this at the bottom of the page:-

Independent Newspapers subscribes to the South African Press Code that prescribes news that is truthful, accurate, fair and balanced. If we don't live up to the Code please contact the Press Ombudsman at 011 788 4837 or 011 788 4829.

Perhaps we should send letters to the Press Ombudsman about the inaccuracies in the article seeing that emailing the newspaper itself doesn't seem to produce any results.

Just a thought....
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2008, 21:16:04 PM »

The SA press ombudsman’s e-mail address is <ombudsman@presscouncil.org.za>.  We have already despatched a complaint with links to both IOL articles in which the error appears.

'Luthon64
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2008, 18:32:00 PM »

Danie Krügel’s standing as an “academic” was amended today.  The two stories apparently originated with The Mercury and were snapped up by other news agencies and newspapers.  The following rider was appended to each article:
  • For the Record: In this story Danie Krugel, director of security services at the Central University of Technology in Bloemfontein, is referred to as an academic. It has been pointed out this is not an academic position. The error is regretted.
See here and here.

Let us hope that this puts paid to any further nonsense of this kind.

'Luthon64
bluegray
Administrator

saskeptics
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2008, 19:08:19 PM »

Thanks to SSiE, the site Stop Danie Krügel is now live.
AcinonyxScepticus

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2008, 17:25:47 PM »

I am wondering if Danie Krügel's involvement in the Madeline McCann case will be mentioned in this upcoming documentary.  It is based on the book published by ex-detective Goncalo Amaral who has long accused Maddie's parents of involvement in the disappearance of their daughter.  It may be that Krügel's involvement will be framed within the conspiracy that the McCann's were pretending to co-operate with the investigation but knew that Danie Krügel would not be able to shed any light on the case.

I'd be interested to see if this happens.

James
bluegray
Administrator

saskeptics
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2008, 11:12:34 AM »

Got this from a Google alert: http://peace4missing.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2153128%3ABlogPost%3A13794
scienceteacheragain
godlike, humble, know-it-all

« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2008, 17:02:12 PM »

Everytime I read anything on this, it becomes more clear that he is up to shenanigans, and will not have a proper test on his machine.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2008, 14:24:38 PM »

Meanwhile, Carte Blanche remains unrepentant and continues to avoid acknowledging valid criticism over the ill-conceived Danie Krügel/Gert van Rooyen embarrassment.

[Carte Blanche] took flack last year for a story claiming that the bodies of the victims of paedophile Gert van Rooyen may have been found. Their two-year investigation into the 20-year-old case, amongst other things, relied on help from psychic Marietta Theunissen and Danie Krugel, the inventor of a so-called "people finder".

Human remains were found in the location to which the investigation led them, but it is not known if these bones belong to Van Rooyen's victims.

George Claassen, director of Sceptic South Africa and a former head of the Department of Journalism at the University of Stellenbosch, wrote at the time: " ‘Carte Blanche' has sunk to a new low with this pseudo-scientific baloney – and that (in) the name of serious investigative journalism... The abracadabra Theunissen speaks at the scene is so funny one would have thought (former presenter Ruda) Landman and Mazarakis (had) ventured into a new field of comedy writing. That any serious journalist could make her viewers believe that Theunissen has any credibility, is astonishing."

Mazarakis says about the story: "I'd say the jury is still out on that one. In hindsight, one could think of all sorts of better ways to have done something.

"But there was a very systematic approach to it. We did involve the opinions of experts. We didn't make it up. We went to great lengths to verify it as far as we could. Perhaps some of the flack is justified, but not all of it."

He is not keen to discuss the matter further. "I'd rather leave it at that."

'Luthon64
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2009, 19:45:23 PM »

Finally, a media acknowledgement that Danie Krügel failed to locate Ray Flanagan.

The tone of the final paragraph seems to herald a change in the media’s take on Krügel and his marvellous person-locating machine, but maybe it’s just that this particular journalist has done her homework more diligently.  Or maybe she’s less tolerant of woo-woo.  We’ll see.

'Luthon64
SSiE

« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2009, 13:11:56 PM »

Hi, I've discovered an interesting little industry of woo that relates directly to Krugel's claims, published at http://vood00.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/dowsing-stick-in-a-box/, if anyone is still interested in him ;-)
bluegray
Administrator

saskeptics
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2009, 11:40:09 AM »

Did anyone catch Carte Blanche yesterday? I saw the show advertised with an insert of Krügel, but could not watch it. Looked like much of the same uncritical reporting that we are used to from CB. Although I hope I'm wrong...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: