Homeopath calling himself "Doctor"

(1/3) > >>

warhelmet (January 07, 2010, 13:34:22 PM):

Is he allowed to do this in SA?
Mefiante (January 07, 2010, 15:09:38 PM):
Is he allowed to do this in SA?
I assume your question is whether, as a qualified homoeopath, Vlachos is allowed to call himself “Dr” in SA. The answer, annoyingly, is “yes” in the case of homoeopaths and chiropractors because their degrees/diplomas take about the same amount of time and effort to complete as a conventional medical qualification.

That miscarriage of parity aside, Amstel is a Dutch brand, not a South African one. This rather hints at the good “doctor’s” concern about plain facts.

st0nes (January 12, 2010, 12:45:26 PM):
It is interesting to note that "Dr" Crippen was a respected homeopath.
warhelmet (January 14, 2010, 21:43:37 PM):
Ah, here in the UK, SA qualified homeopaths are not permitted to call themselves "Doctor" by the various homeopathic trade associations. Also, advertising regulation and consumer protection legislation places severe constraints on the use of the title "Doctor". Having said that, here in the UK, we have a problem with homeopaths from the Indian sub-continent with DHMS/BHMS calling themselves "Doctor". And also with other homeopaths with qualifications bought from degree mills.
Ashraf (May 27, 2010, 00:14:49 AM):
Hi everyone
Did you guys know that the University of the Western Cape offers a degree in Natural Medicine. What do you think of that? See below...

The Following Professional Programmes are currently offered:

Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture BCM CMA
Naturopathy BCM Nat
Phytotherapy BCM Phyt
Unani-Tibb BCM UTM
The Degree of Bachelor of Science in Complementary Medicine ie. BSc CHS is awarded after 3 years. Thereafter the School provides full-time training for Professional Practitioner Status leading to the award of a professional Two Year Bachelors Degree in Phytotherapy, Naturopathy ,Unani - Tibb Medicine and Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture.

After the 5year , 2 Bachelors degree, you register with the Allied Health Professions Council of South Africa to get the Dr title as well as registering with the Board of Health funders to claim from Medical aid schemes.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page