South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

October 19, 2019, 01:19:30 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

ash sucky as it gets

(Read 3943 times)
Description: ash cloud with far-reaching consequences
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 10:35:11 AM »

So I have started wearing T-Shirts with slogans like "come over to the dark side... we have cookies" and comparing the Mighty Bullshit conference to Oppikoppi. I'm sure they pray for me, but I haven't been reprimanded yet. Any ideas as to how I can continue with making them uncomfortable without getting fired? Suggestions will be appreciated  Evil
You could maybe wear a T-shirt that says, "Friendly Neighborhood Atheist" or "Imagine No Religion" or "No Gods, No Masters" or "I'm an atheist and that's that - Kathrine Hepburn". Hehe.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »

She's at her wits end as to how to "ruk hom reg".
Lithium.  Orally, or alloyed and delivered by slingshot.

i allready have the emo hair, wear black, piercings, tattoos....what more does a heathen need to do?!!
Maybe your gothic appearance turns you into a do-gooder magnet because it scares them greatly.  With all that black, tell them you’re actually a reformed liberal Muslim and solemnly cite the Qur’an about killing the infidel.  That should scare them into silence.

'Luthon64
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »

I have recently embarked on a mission to see how far I can push them (quite fun, really) So I have started wearing T-Shirts with slogans like "come over to the dark side... we have cookies" and comparing the Mighty Bullshit conference to Oppikoppi. I'm sure they pray for me, but I haven't been reprimanded yet. Any ideas as to how I can continue with making them uncomfortable without getting fired? Suggestions will be appreciated  Evil

I love pissing on batteries (figuratively spoken). I fit in beautifully in the corporate environment, do the whole professional thing quite professionally and conduct myself in a wholly xtian manner. Which confuses people greatly when they refer to me as "a perfect example of a good xtian woman" - to which I stolidly reply "I'm an atheist" - the facial expressions are wonderful to behold, the fumbling for words in their now jumbled and confused little minds springs forth in expressions of shock (awe?), horror, and at times pure disgust.  I love waiting out their next interaction with me, some simply cross the passage in case I'm catching, other's will attempt to commisserate and ask me what disappointment I endured that catapulted me to the dark side. Great fun all in all.

At home I'm just me. Tatoos and bike and all.... my Mother is probably the only person that has'nt given up praying for me, but I can live with that, she's my mom.  Grin

Sheesh, we atheists are a horrible lot, playing games with the sheeps...  Undecided
GCG

Skeptical ability: +8/-4

skeptical mantis is skeptical

adele horn
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 11:12:24 AM »

maybe we should start a thread, how to intimidte your co-workers to the dark side.

and btw, i happen to be a bit of a fundie on labour laws, and if they as much as give you a verbal warning, you can take them to the ccma.   they are not allowed to do squat regarding religion.  or lack thereof.  as long as you do your job, they cant as much as fart in your direction.  if the ladies have an issue about it, they can ask you to desist, co it upsets them, and affect office morale, and that's it.
mdg

Skeptical ability: +5/-0

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »

Quote from: Faerie
..Which confuses people greatly when they refer to me as "a perfect example of a good xtian woman" - to which I stolidly reply "I'm an atheist" - the facial expressions are wonderful to behold, the fumbling for words in their now jumbled and confused little minds springs forth in expressions of shock (awe?), horror, and at times pure disgust...

That's how people think about me too.I'm often mistaken for a "good christian woman". I think it confuses them (and hopefully makes them think) because here is someone who can be good without god and his laws, they find it difficult to comprehend that a godless heathen can have morals.
I find it difficult to comprehend that people think like that.

Jane of the Jungle

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »

Ghees luckily I opened this thread and read the replies in the privacy of my office, a ripper Grin
"Skerp, baie Skerp" Love it Wink

One would think that one would eventually learn when and where to open your mouth about what. My boss called us in this morning and asked that we pray for the souls of people not yet saved, because the ash cloud is clearly a sign of the end of the world...

Freekin hell they think it's the end of the world and just last night I thought of what the repercussions of
a Vulcano tripple that size would be (wtf!!)I usually make sure I’ve got my diary in front of me when they close their eyes and yap yap on in the prayer thingy, catch up on the last few days Quote for the day, much more inspiring!

Lovely, I had to endure a prayer for the husband of one of the "tannies" in the office, he went to the mighty men farce over the weekend and has been crying over his sins since. She's at her wits end as to how to "ruk hom reg".
Jir and this Tannie didn’t for one moment thought of “watse k@k die Omie droog gemaak het dat hy so stressed up isi” Ugh well maybe she would come by in a few months time!

Maybe your gothic appearance turns you into a do-gooder magnet because it scares them greatly.  With all that black, tell them you’re actually a reformed liberal Muslim and solemnly cite the Qur’an about killing the infidel.  That should scare them into silence.
Good idea, I thought of trying the Buddhist angle.
Although before telling them this, I would recommend a site: Best Jobs  Grin

GCG

adele horn
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »

i was thinking, rocking up in an orange toga doo-dabbie, with my sandalwood beads, chanting 'ram ram ram ramma ramma ram'.  and see their faces.  alltho, im a total freak, so i doubt they would expect anything less from me.
i share an office with the local lesbian, coz im the only one who can deal with the sex-talk and giggling over the phone.
and, i quite think, nobody else want to be too close, just in case my weirdness rubs off.
of parents, i no longer have any, i havent spoken to any family for over 6 months now, so im sure i've been scrapped off the prayer lists.  thanx bob for that.
luckily, my beau is faithless, as is his parents, his friends.... conversation is very refreshing.
Mandarb

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »

Close up of the volcano from space. Caption courtesy of Rebecca Watson

Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »

Eish... looks evil, I'm gonna mail that to a couple colleagues, bible study on Friday's gonna be interesting....  Evil
Watookal

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 14:08:35 PM »

Firstly, my apologies for briefly going back on topic  Smiley
last week I received a mail which looked like this:
Subject: Fw: Acid rain alert

Hi

Be careful from the 20th to 28th of this month, There is possibility of an ACID RAIN. The dark circle appeared around the moon on 17th of last month and this is an indication of Acid Rain. Apparently this happens once in 750 years.

It rains like normally but It may cause skin cancer if you expose yourself to it.

So ALERT your dear ones. This information is from NASA.

DO NOT neglect. Plz Forward this to your friends, Better to be cautious than sorry.

I prompty replied to the sender that it's a hoax. Now the ash will make acid rain? Aai-bo.
GCG

adele horn
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 14:12:31 PM »

shit, win for the woo-woos.
Lilli

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

Lelani Stolp
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 14:25:35 PM »

Be careful from the 20th to 28th of this month, There is possibility of an ACID RAIN.
Acid rian refers to any precipitation that has an acidic pH. Hence, there is kinda always a possibility of acid rain, and most people you know have probably danced in it...
The dark circle appeared around the moon on 17th of last month and this is an indication of Acid Rain. Apparently this happens once in 750 years.
Hahahaha! I would love to know where the knob got this from...

It rains like normally but It may cause skin cancer if you expose yourself to it. So ALERT your dear ones. This information is from NASA. DO NOT neglect. Plz Forward this to your friends, Better to be cautious than sorry.

Dude, we do not really know what causes skin cancer, do we? What would NASA know about skin cancer anyways  Tongue or, frankly, about acid rain? the last time I checked, NASA was all about space-stuff?

This whole - "stay inside that day, better to be safe than sorry" shit makes it sound like they are planning to rob a bank or something and this is an elaborate hoax to get the security guard to call in sick that day...  Undecided
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 14:34:52 PM »

Subject: Fw: Acid rain alert

It rains like normally but It may cause skin cancer if you expose yourself to it.

It’s still a hoax, and the above-cited is it.  Dust and other contaminants in the upper atmosphere can change the appearance of celestial objects, but, at worst, being exposed to acid rain will cause mild skin irritation.  The pH of acid rain isn’t low enough to cause acid burns on skin, let alone cancer, because it’s far cry from, say, dipping someone in a vat of battery acid.  The thing about acid rain that kills vegetation isn’t its corrosiveness.  It’s the repeated falling of acid rain that changes the soil’s pH, which plants are very sensitive to, and the leaching out of certain nutrients.

'Luthon64
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: