South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

November 20, 2019, 08:21:45 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Burning the Quran

(Read 17401 times)
GCG

Skeptical ability: +8/-4

skeptical mantis is skeptical

adele horn
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:31:17 AM »

THE pastor of a small Florida church has promised to hold a Koran burning in defiance of a top US commander who warned his actions will spark violent reactions in the Islamic world.
But the pastor insisted that the Koran torching to be held on Saturday aimed "to remember those who were brutally murdered on September 11th" and to send a warning "to the radical element of Islam".

what a fucktard.

some people here might agree with this dude, but i think he's an epic douche.
he recons he plans to burn the quran, since it contains lies, but then he needs to burn the bible too.
and the whole christian nation will be up in arms if someone burnt the bible. 
this is just A-class, eternal, shit-stirring material.
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »

Ag, its ok, the US obviously have plenty of tall buildings they want to demolish.

Its farked-up, classic case of my god's more peace-loving than yours..... and really, what is this if not racisim dressed up with a cross? Its a hate-crime, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm tired of all this religious crap.
Lilli

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

Lelani Stolp
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »

...But the pastor insisted that the Koran torching to be held on Saturday aimed "to remember those who were brutally murdered on September 11th" and to send a warning "to the radical element of Islam".
Some people are just not all that clever, are they?  WTF!! how exactly does burning a book aim to "remember those who were brutally murdered"? and what kind of a warning is that?! Seriously - 'fly planes into our buildings again and we'll.... we'll.... uhm... burn the book that you believe is the word of god despite the fact that there are a billion other copies of it available to anyone interested in reading it... sure, that'll show you!'
If a person, like this pastor, really wants to remember those people who died in the 9/11 attacks, how does he justify carrying out actions that he knows is more than likely to breed more violence.
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:01:52 AM »

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »

If a person, like this pastor, really wants to remember those people who died in the 9/11 attacks, how does he justify carrying out actions that he knows is more than likely to breed more violence.
Yup. His action will almost certainly stir up a hornets nest and possibly cause thousands more to be killed. He must be insane (oh yes, he's a pastor, goes with the territory I guess).

Says it all - nice post cyghost.
Wandapec

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

100% Proud Atheist/Skeptic

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »

Yip. I wanted to say that that is the christian way, but that may be a bit unfair?  Tongue
GCG

adele horn
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:11:48 AM »

and the douche mayor of of New York is defending this asshat.
i heard, at least, on the radio this morning, that there is a jewish/christian/muslim alliance in the US who publicly denounced this behviour
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 15:01:51 PM »

All these denouncements have nothing to do with ethics or rights and all to do with fear of retribution.   It illustrates how a militant organization obtains privileges.
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 15:15:34 PM »

Bush and his ilk did more for the cause of Islam than Muhammad This latest gig is the latest in the line of prophets! WTF!!
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 15:41:01 PM »

“That was mere foreplay. Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings.” (German: “Das war Vorspiel nur. Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen.”)
- Heinrich Heine, Almansor (1821)
GCG

adele horn
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 16:01:26 PM »

There was a similar debate some while ago, about one religion being disrespectfull toward another, and i defended the fact that you should respect people's beliefs, even if you dont believe in them.
and i got lambasted.
i still say, that dont disrespect people's beliefs.  even if some dude believes that his dog is god, then that is his blief, and while you can have a debate with him about it, its not your place, or your right, to destroy things which he holds dear.  you arent going to burn someone's collection of Isaam Asimov books because you think he's an asshole.
it just doesnt work like that.
even moreso if you entire culture and society is based upon a particular belief, and its deeply ingrained.  it may be complete bollocks, but that is what they know, and it gives them hope and peace.
and yes, i dont think islam is all that hot,  its pretty fucked up.  but xtians arent all that either.  in fact, i think, more people suffer from xtian bullshit.  xtians seem more likely to get your money and make a run.
my point being.  just have some fucking respect.  its easy.  if you are happy for people to insult your deepest beliefs, your core values.
your not going to walk into someone's house and kick their cat, because you dont like cats?
and above and beyond anything, you are putting people's lives at risk.  why go and piss off millions of muslims, and the imams and extremists ammo with which to whip their people into a frenzy.  when at the moment, you only have a few thousand basketcases to deal with.  and the majority of muslims are just happy to live in peace and get by.
im just saying, have some respect.
Du Preez

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

DuPreez de Villiers
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 18:59:03 PM »

What if some unstable Christians like Rev. Terry Jones, are running out of patience after studying Revelations and the whole Armageddon war between God and Satan fairytale and expresses a subconscious urge to hasten the 'end of days' to finish their suffering on earth by ending up doing this absolutely ridiculous things like provoking 'Satan/Islam' by burning the Qur'an?

BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 21:22:55 PM »

"In unrelated news, Quran sales spiked today in Florida leading the printers to increase output to meet the sudden demand."

GCG, gotta disagree skepchick. Once we get into the "we tolerate everything" category we have to include the crowd who believe they must "burn supposed holy books to show their anger". Why are you being so intolerant?  Oh yes, because they believe bullshit and it should not be tolerated any more than we tolerate people shooting eachother on the gaza strip. (Which could've easily started in a similar way - not saying it did, but it could).
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 07:37:49 AM »

All these denouncements have nothing to do with ethics or rights and all to do with fear of retribution.
I have little fear of retribution being an annomini mouse here on the webs and I think Islam is a dangerous religion, holding archaic and idiotic beliefs, steeped in ignorance and bigotry and their revered prophet, from what I know of him, was a pedophile dickhead.

Yet I denounce this burning of the Quran. First and formost of because no book should ever be burned. Ever. And secondly this will serve absolutely no useful purpose whatsoever. It won't make anyone think twice about anything. It won't bring anyone into the fold. All it will accomplish is people talking about stupidity and we do that anyway.

It is is an expression of intolerance and while I am the last one who would actually call for tolerance to stupid ideas and beliefs I cannot support the way in which this will be expressed. Especially by people who hold the same fucked up beliefs as the people they protest again. The irony is simply too overwhelming.

Is there irony in me calling Islam as I see it and yet opposing this cleric's actions? Perhaps there is. But I guess I object to the action itself more than anything. Draw silly drawings of little Mo if you want to piss them off, that works fine and the effect is more hilarious due the absolute incongruence.
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »

while I agree with MM, the burning may in fact be to the advantage of atheism if people start to get 'gatvol'. My experience of religionists is that this will only polarize them and as Heine said in 1821, it will end up in conflagration. GCG is also right, intolerance will get us nowhere but it doesn't mean we should tolerate bigotry, fanaticism, etc. I cannot support a so-called 'grey-morality'....how do you differentiate?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: