South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

October 21, 2019, 06:46:06 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Burning the Quran

(Read 17308 times)
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 15:20:40 PM »

BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 15:54:19 PM »

In response to a complaint, Rackspace has shut down the websites of the Dove World Outreach Center, a small 50-member church which has received national and international criticism for a planned book burning of the Quran on the anniversary of the 9-11 attacks. The center 'violated the hate-speech provision of our acceptable-use policy,' explained Rackspace spokesman Dan Goodgame. 'This is not a constitutional issue. This is a contract issue,'

I don't agree with this, but as it's in the contract, they are free to do it I guess.
kelltrill

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

kelltrill
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 23:42:09 PM »

I am on the ignore list or something? That's EXACTLY what I meant.

My ETERNAL bad. I must have skimmed over your post without registering or something. I'm so sorry. Glad we're on the same page though Smiley

On that note, this just in:
http://bit.ly/bLX2eQ
Terry Jones has agreed to cancel Burn a Qur'an Day.

Bleak. I was kinda looking foward to all the traumatic excitement it was going to cause. Now I'll have to find something else to do with my Saturday online.

On a serious note: good. And what a dumbass.
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 00:14:28 AM »

On a serious note: good. And what a dumbass.
Maybe not so dumb at all.   He got fantastic milage out of it.
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 07:19:08 AM »

The interesting thing about this is that the pastor concerned, Terry Jones, said that this is what god wanted him and his congregation to do. So backing down now is going to be a bit tricky because it will bring into question whether Terry Jones really does chat with god regularly.
Also, it would show that god has a problem making decisions; he can't very well change his mind now if he's commanded a bunch of loony evangelists to burn copies of the koran. If they don't do it, they'll be disobeying god.

If they do back down (which I doubt), I'm very interested to see what the reason will be.

mdg

so god backed down too?
mdg

Skeptical ability: +5/-0

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 07:56:29 AM »

Quote from:  Brian
so god backed down too?

Nah, looks like he negotiated his way out of it.

Can you imagine the conversation between Jones and his god?   Evil

Whatever the reason, I'm glad it has been called off. As much as I am against religion, I'm also against deliberately doing things that I know will incite a violent reaction.

Gainesville -  A US fundamentalist Christian pastor on Thursday called off his plan to burn copies of the Qu'ran this weekend, saying he had obtained a deal that involved moving the planned location of an Islamic cultural centre and mosque in New York.

Terry Jones, who heads the tiny, little-known Dove World Outreach Centre church based in Gainesville, Florida, told reporters an Islamic leader in New York had agreed to shift the planned site of the Muslim centre and mosque there away from near the Ground Zero location of the September 11 2001 attacks.

"The Imam has agreed to move the mosque, we have agreed to cancel our event on Saturday," Jones told reporters outside his church. He was accompanied by Imam Muhammad Musri, head of the Islamic Society of Central Florida.

But in New York, sources close to New York Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf said there was no agreement to move the site of the proposed Muslim cultural centre in the city.

The planned location of the project has been opposed by many who have said it is insensitive to families of the  victims of the 2001 attacks by the militant Islamist group al-Qaeda.

"I, with the Imam (Musri), will be flying up there (New York) on Saturday to meet with the imam (Feisal Abdul Rauf) at the Ground Zero mosque," Jones said.

The Qu'ran-burning planned for Saturday on the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the United States triggered worldwide condemnation and outrage, protests in some Muslim countries and warnings that Americans abroad could face violent retaliation.
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »

Whatever the reason, I'm glad it has been called off. As much as I am against religion, I'm also against deliberately doing things that I know will incite a violent reaction.

Seems it's not certain. He says the imam lied about the mosque in ground-zero and now he may go ahead  (wtf!!
Teleological
Moderate Realist

Skeptical ability: +2/-28

Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 10:54:24 AM »

THE pastor of a small Florida church has promised to hold a Koran burning in defiance of a top US commander who warned his actions will spark violent reactions in the Islamic world.
But the pastor insisted that the Koran torching to be held on Saturday aimed "to remember those who were brutally murdered on September 11th" and to send a warning "to the radical element of Islam".

what a fucktard.

some people here might agree with this dude, but i think he's an epic douche.
he recons he plans to burn the quran, since it contains lies, but then he needs to burn the bible too.
and the whole christian nation will be up in arms if someone burnt the bible. 
this is just A-class, eternal, shit-stirring material.

Idiot Florida church pfff. They are sinking to the level of other idiots....like these ones:
http://www.burnthebibleassociation.com/

mdg

Skeptical ability: +5/-0

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »

Sky breaking news on twitter has reported that a protester has been shot dead outside a Nato base during a Koran-burning demonstration in Afghanistan

From Times Live
Thousands of Afghans threw rocks at a small NATO-run base in a remote northeastern town Friday to protest against plans by a US church to burn copies of the Quran, police said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They numbered in their thousands, it is a big crowd," provincial deputy police chief Sayed Hassan Jafary told AFP of the demonstrations in Fayzabad, capital of Badakhshan province.

There've also been protests against the Quran burning plans in Pakistan which included the burning of the US flag.

The Christian pastor who said he had cancelled a plan to burn copies of the Quran at his Florida church meanwhile has said later he has suspende his decision while he has a “rethink”.

Terry Jones, an obscure minister who heads the Dove World Outreach Center church in the Florida town of Gainesville, accused a Muslim leader of lying to him about moving a planned Islamic center in New York.

Jones had called off plans to burn Korans after drawing international condemnation and a warning from President Barack Obama that it could provoke al Qaeda suicide bombings.

“Given what we are now hearing, we are forced to rethink our decision,” Jones told CNN. “So as of right now, we are not cancelling the event, but we are suspending it.”

Jones said he had spoken to Imam Muhammad Musri, president of the Islamic Society of Central Florida, and had been assured that a mosque planned for a site near the Sept. 11, 2001 World Trade Center attacks would be moved.

When Musri and the sponsor of the New York mosque later denied such an agreement had been made, Jones said Musri had “clearly, clearly lied to us.”

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates had called Jones directly to urge him not to go ahead, a Pentagon official said.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said Gates had expressed “grave concern” in the brief telephone call with Jones that the Quran burning “would put the lives of our forces at risk, especially in Iraq and Afghanistan.”
Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »

I quite like PZ Myers' take on the situation:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/setting_the_koran_on_fire_vs_s.php
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 13:45:03 PM »

Ag, for crying in a bucket.....

Man wil Bybels brand
2010-09-10 13:06

Johannesburg – Daar is Vrydag aansoek gedoen vir ‘n hofinterdik om ‘n plaaslike man te verhoed om Bybels by die Library Gardens in Johannesburg te brand.

Dit is Mohammed Vawda se plan van protes teen ‘n Amerikaanse pastoor wat beplan om moontlik die Islam heilige boek, die Koran, in Amerika te brand.

Advokaat Zahir Omar, wat die Gauteng-gebaseerde organisasie die Scholars of the Truth verteenwoordig, het Vrydagmiddag by die hooggeregshof in Johannesburg aansoek gedoen vir ‘n interdik sodat dit verhoed kan word dat die Bybels gebrand sal word.

“Dit sal ‘n aksie wees wat deur Suid-Afrikaners in Suid-Afrika geneem word om die man te verhoed om vreedsame geloofsverhoudinge in die land te ontstug,” het Omar gesê.

Vawda beplan om die Bybels Saterdagmiddag in Johannesburg se middestad te brand en 11 September as “die dag waarop Bybels gebrand word” in Suid-Afrika vas te maak.

Omar sê hy beplan om te argumenteer dat Vawda geweld sal opstook deur sy optrede, wat as godslasterlik beskou word.

Vawda het Vrydag geweier om kommentaar te lewer en het gesê hy sal homself ná die verhoor uitspreek.

Pastoor Terry Jones van Florida in Amerika het wydverspreide kritiek ontvang oor sy planne om die Koran te brand as ‘n herdenking van die aanvalle in New York en Washington op 11 September 2001.

http://www.nuus24.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Man-wil-Bybels-brand-20100910

Now everybody demands their measly 15 seconds of fame by climbing on the same bandwagon.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 16:04:39 PM »

This is excellent ammunition against people who say: "Why do you OBJECT to religion though?" - Oe! oe! I have one: "Religious war".
Wandapec

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

100% Proud Atheist/Skeptic

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 23:37:20 PM »

Terry Jones, said that this is what god wanted him and his congregation to do.
You would think that if a god did exist, that it would come up with way better and more useful things to instruct them to do, like help clean up a littered suburb or help with the gardening at a old age home.... As my daughter would say - Why such a 'random' suggestion?
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 09:15:57 AM »

You would think that if a god did exist, that it would come up with way better and more useful things to instruct them to do, like help clean up a littered suburb or help with the gardening at a old age home.... As my daughter would say - Why such a 'random' suggestion?
Though the gods I've read about are all fickle, irrational and petty.
Mutton

Skeptical ability: +2/-0

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2010, 18:11:09 PM »

I liken this whole charade to burning effigies of Santa Claus outside a creche or kindergarten.

Some hold certain symbols dear. Respect their right to do so. PZ Myers stuck nails in Communion hosts and managed to upset quite a few Catholics in the process.

Although if Santa decided to relocate to Ground Zero, there might be a similar commotion?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: