South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 15, 2019, 07:05:18 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Burning the Quran

(Read 17505 times)
Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2010, 18:14:37 PM »

Oh, fucking brilliant! This dude is my new hero. I wish I thought of it first though:

Brisbane atheist smokes pages from Koran and Bible
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 18:54:02 PM by Peter Grant » Logged
Michael Meadon

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

michaelmeadon
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2010, 18:19:21 PM »

lol
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2010, 18:26:43 PM »

Although if Santa decided to relocate to Ground Zero, there might be a similar commotion?

What is Santa's holy book?  The Macro catalogue?  Or perhaps eBay? Bah!  This whole burning thing this arsehole wants to do pisses me off
Peter Grant

a fully caused agent

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2010, 18:36:41 PM »

Bible or Koran - which burns best?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:48:47 PM by Peter Grant, Reason: orriginal youtube video » Logged
maturin

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2010, 09:20:37 AM »

In sunny SA, it seems that religion trumps free speech once again:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2010/0910/In-South-Africa-judge-outlaws-burning-Bibles-Qurans-other-holy-books

"The ruling also amounts to a ban in South Africa on the burning of any Bibles and other religious books."

So... what is the penalty for burning a "religious book?" Does this include works of "religious fiction" like "Left Behind?" What about "The God Delusion?"

How about shredding? Can I shred a bible and eat it?

Why not just ban the burning of any book? Wouldn't that be fairer?

Voltaire said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I disagree in principle with the burning of books.

However, perhaps the only way to defend the RIGHT to burn books is by exercising that right.

Mandarb

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »

I hate the idea of burning any book, but that judgement burns with such stupidity.

I want to just get a hold of a Bible, a Qu'ran, a Torah, Dianetics and the God Delusion, pile then in a braai, pour some propellant on it, and throw in a match. Video tape it, put it on YouTube, and see what happens.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2010, 10:10:17 AM »

Indeed, I'd like my "free" country back please. (as-if)

WHY do people care so much about the burning of some tree pulp and ink? You can burn bibles literally all day and not make a dent. There are BILLIONS of Bibles in the world. If I burn one, what is the problem? CO2 emissions getting xtians down all of a sudden?

SHOULD we burn books? No, of course not. But I won't stop you .... As long as you don't BAN books, I'm fine with it. As long as there are other copies still out there, preferably in digital form, then what is the harm? We could always just print more..... a futile exercise maybe, but not bannable. Books have a particular historical significance that seems to be all-too-often lost. I mean I think its great that people can still read "Mein Kampf" or the "Satanic Bible" whenever they please, we have not destroyed those and neither should we.

However if you own a copy and want to burn it, I don't think I have any business preventing you. The knowledge will surely not be "lost" to civilization.
daviff

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »

This is a chance for agnostics and atheists to stop a holy war.

If someone would publicly burn all religious books as a protest against superstition it will get the religions mad at them instead of at each other.

I can't do it because I respect books too much and like to see evolution in action. Is there anyone on this forum who will pick up the torch and carry out this action and save the world?

Evil

Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2010, 11:11:04 AM »

This is a chance for agnostics and atheists to stop a holy war.

If someone would publicly burn all religious books as a protest against superstition it will get the religions mad at them instead of at each other.
 Evil

I also have a problem burning books because it's a negative/destructive action, but hey if it can have a positive impact so be it! Include also books about all the woo...numerology; pyramidology et al
Peter Grant

a fully caused agent

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2010, 13:00:55 PM »

What, they actually banned it? The evil fuckers! Sorry Judge Sita Kolbe but you are now forcing us to burn them. We cannot now in good conscience refrain from burning religious books.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 17:38:19 PM by Peter Grant » Logged
Jacques

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

JacquesR
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2010, 13:16:31 PM »

Absurd for the courts to get involved in this. More troubling is the motivation offered by Scholars for the Truth, who said they had persuaded the judge that causing offense was a sufficient reason for the interdict. Our Bill of Rights talks about incitement to harm - not offense. So this is another troubling development for free expression. I've got a column on this in tomorrow's Daily Maverick - will post link here tomorrow also.
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 13:44:57 PM »

"Judge Kolbe ruled that freedom of expression is not unlimited if one exercises freedom of expression that is harmful to others...."

Please Judge Kolbe, do provide evidence that this act, stupid as it is, harms anyone? I am about to use the same argument that religion harms me...

Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 15:07:11 PM »

I believe the judge's decision is not defensible and would not stand up to an appeal. Maybe this is something we as a group could take further as it affects our fundamental rights. Has anyone got the judge's full judgement...I don't trust the Christian press.
Peter Grant

a fully caused agent

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2010, 18:10:41 PM »

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/High-Court-stops-Bible-burning-20100911
High Court stops Bible burning
2010-09-11 08:30

Johannesburg - The High Court in Johannesburg on Friday stopped the burning of the Bible at Library Gardens from going ahead.

Attorney Zehir Omar said Judge Sita Kolbe granted an interdict to stop businessman, Mohammed Vawda, from going ahead with burning the Bible, in protest against a now-suspended plan by a United States pastor to burn the Muslim holy book, the Qur'an.

“The judge agreed that freedom of expression is not unlimited if one exercises freedom of expression that is harmful to others," he said.

Omar represented a Gauteng-based organisation, the Scholars of the Truth.

Speaking to Sapa after the interdict was granted, Vawda said he had erred in wanting to burn the Bible.

He was adamant that the plan to burn the Bible was not aimed at attacking Christians or the people of South Africa. Rather, it was to highlight that similar action should have been taken against US pastor, Terry Jones, over his threat to burn the Qur'an.

"... His [Jones'] actions infuriated me and incited me and enraged me. I decided to act against him and his actions by burning his book," he said.

The court papers, however, mentioned parts of the Qu'ran which speaks out on respecting both the Bible and the Jewish Torah.

"I then understood," he said.

"But I still think if the applicant could do this to me, how come nobody in America didn't take similar action," he said.

"We hosted the World Cup, they came here and saw our country, maybe now they can take a lesson from us."

Omar said his clients had also requested that all religious books be included in the interdict, this application would be heard at a later stage, as would the matter of costs.

We must not tolerate this. Perhaps when other countries see how completely and utterly this attempt to limit our freedom of speech fails they will learn from this mistake.
Peter Grant

a fully caused agent

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2010, 18:51:37 PM »

Here's an idea. We start a website www.burnamillionqurans.co.za or something where South Africans can upload pictures and videos of Qurans on fire, preferably performed in scenic South African locations.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: