South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

November 19, 2019, 10:32:08 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

I get the feeling Tim Noakes is starting to go off the reservation

(Read 8364 times)
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 18:06:40 PM »

The Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) has confirmed to Health24 that Professor Tim Noakes, who maintains that a diet high in fat is actually far healthier than we’ve all been led to believe, will be facing a two-day hearing.

HPCSA communications manager Priscilla Sekhonyana told Health24 the complaint relates to unprofessional conduct.

"A hearing will be taking place on 4 and 5 June 2015."

This intervention appears to be off to a very bad start, as is evidenced by the overwhelming support for Noakes in the comments.

(1) It should have been made clear that the hearing is not about the effectiveness of his diet as a means of weight loss, but about the fact that he has consulted in a profession for which he is neither qualified nor registered.

(2) Noakes's supporters are having a field day due to Claire Julsing-Strydom stating on her website that she consults for Kellogg's.

(3) The Association for Dietetics in South Africa, whom she presumably represents, conceals their sponsorships.

All the makings are there for a huge public relations failure and conspiracy theories running amok.
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +13/-0

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 03:52:31 AM »

I am watching the whole Noakes versus the world thing like it's a fun movie. I'd have been munching popcorn, but apparently it's bad for me. :-)
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »

Regardless of how much of a quack Noakes is.. This is all double standards: How many quacks with NO qualification go about peddling cancer remedies and HIV cures with nary a whimper from any council anywhere, but a medical professional (hey, at least he's not an engineer) suggest a diet and everyone loses their minds.

YES: he should not do what he's doing, but ffs if you can act on him go ahead and act on the other snake-oil salespeople of SA.

EDIT: I, BM, understand fully the only reason anyone can take action vs Noakes is because he's registered with a council in the first place.
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »

I am watching the whole Noakes versus the world thing like it's a fun movie. I'd have been munching popcorn, but apparently it's bad for me. :-)
Grin
You should switch to salami.
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 14:31:04 PM »

Grin
You should switch to salami.
Impossible. You can't pop salami. Undecided
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +13/-0

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 14:59:00 PM »

Regardless of how much of a quack Noakes is.. This is all double standards: How many quacks with NO qualification go about peddling cancer remedies and HIV cures with nary a whimper from any council anywhere, but a medical professional (hey, at least he's not an engineer) suggest a diet and everyone loses their minds.

YES: he should not do what he's doing, but ffs if you can act on him go ahead and act on the other snake-oil salespeople of SA.

EDIT: I, BM, understand fully the only reason anyone can take action vs Noakes is because he's registered with a council in the first place.

All good points, especially the last. I wonder, if a homeopath recommends that you go see a real doctor, whether he can be disciplined by the homeopathic council... :-)

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: