South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

July 13, 2020, 05:52:06 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Load shedding

(Read 6291 times)
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 10:20:43 AM »

I have to admit (since I don't believe in 'tempting fate') we've been stunningly lucky with the whole load shedding thing. Only lost power once in the last 2 weeks. This w/e we had 100% power while everyone around us suffered greatly. I'm pretty sure my house is on some circuit that nobody ever notices, on a border line between 2 suburbs that both get cuts when we're still up. Let's hear it for happy coincidences.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +64/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 10:46:36 AM »

The silo collapse at Majuba is directly attributable to poor or non-existent maintenance schedules.  Associated with the coal from the Majuba mine are appreciable quantities of iron pyrites, an iron sulphide more commonly known as fool’s gold.  When left in brackish water (that has some dissolved carbon dioxide in it), the iron sulphides produce sulphurous and sulphuric acid.  These acids leach calcium carbonate from concrete, and thereby weaken it.  Maybe the contractor also skimped on the concrete mix, using less and/or lower UCS cement than the design called for.  Regular turnover schedules (i.e., completely emptying, washing out and refilling the silos) minimises this problem, and acoustic soundness tests will proactively identify the development of weak spots that can be repaired before disaster strikes.  Clearly, none of this was done with any degree of regularity or discipline at Majuba, and therefore all fingers should be pointing at the power station’s general manager and its chief engineer.

More broadly, Eskom as a whole is to blame for not pushing the issue of capacity development much more energetically a dozen or more years ago when they first realised that such development would be crucial.  Instead, they kowtowed to the ANC government’s insistence that it had more pressing issues to attend to, such as handing out social grants.

'Luthon64
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 17:55:03 PM »

I am convinced that there is a spike in motor accidents because of load shedding. Last night, while driving on Zambezi Pretoria (whatever it's called now) parts of it was dark, and I came across three accidents at different traffic lights. All fender benders, nothing serious, but it would be interesting to get hold of some insurance figures.
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +14/-0

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 04:40:09 AM »

My power was off in the afternoon last Friday, and Sunday. And again yesterday afternoon. And then there was a heavy storm that knocked it out the whole evening as well. This is getting most annoying...
cr1t

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

cr1t
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »

My power was off in the afternoon last Friday, and Sunday. And again yesterday afternoon. And then there was a heavy storm that knocked it out the whole evening as well. This is getting most annoying...

http://www.makro.co.za/diy/generators-IEC
brianvds

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 14:41:49 PM »

http://www.makro.co.za/diy/generators-IEC

Can't afford such toys. And I rent the place, so presumably I can't go play around with their electrical system.

Don't know what the problem is anyway. As I understand it, a power station works by burning coal, to heat water to make steam, which turns the turbines for the generators. Now why don't we just replace the coal with our numerous politicians? They spew enough hot air...
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +64/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 15:04:10 PM »

Don't know what the problem is anyway. As I understand it, a power station works by burning coal, to heat water to make steam, which turns the turbines for the generators. Now why don't we just replace the coal with our numerous politicians? They spew enough hot air...
Goodness knows, there’s more than enough of them.  Sadly however, your suggestion won’t work because our politicians are so adept at dodging the law that even the laws of thermodynamics are no longer safe…

Slightly less seriously ( Tongue ), Eskom also has a few pumped storage plants.  During the blackouts, they use some of the power to pump water back up into the reservoir in order to increase generation capacity during peak hours.  (Tangentially, it may be worth noting that this is the thermodynamic equivalent of changing from coal to R200 notes.)

'Luthon64
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 15:20:19 PM »

... the thermodynamic equivalent of changing from coal to R200 notes.

I'm pretty sure this is what the generators run on at Nkandla.
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +20/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 19:16:37 PM »

I see there are petrol, diesel and digital generators available. I assume the digital one runs on toes and fingers.

Rigil
brianvds

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 03:50:36 AM »

I see there are petrol, diesel and digital generators available. I assume the digital one runs on toes and fingers.

Rigil

Or perhaps they work on electricity... :-)
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 20:32:00 PM »

I did a bit of sidewalk astronomy again last night, and one guy said that he just came back from the Eastern Cape and that most of the wind turbines were not working. That Eskom does not want to pay. Is this true Rigel? What's the inside information down there?
brianvds

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 04:40:12 AM »

I did a bit of sidewalk astronomy again last night, and one guy said that he just came back from the Eastern Cape and that most of the wind turbines were not working. That Eskom does not want to pay. Is this true Rigel? What's the inside information down there?

And in the meantime, my power is now switched off two to three times every week. Some of my colleagues and friends tell me theirs is NEVER switched off. Another tells me his power is off from 8 to 10 every evening. They can't even do the load shedding right.
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +20/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »

Is this true Rigel? What's the inside information down there?

Don't know, but wouldn't be surprised, especially now that our esteemed president has announced to some obsequious parliamentary ovation that even more of your tax money will be funneled into the paralysedstatal's coffers.

On the other hand, in high winds the Siemens SWT 2.3 MW turbines are capable of parking themselves in a safe position, so there may well be a non-fiscal reason why most of them appear inactive at certain times. Of course, no wind is also a rare but obvious explanation for a stationary wind farm. Naturally, this cannot be blamed on  government, but is a clear and direct consequence of over consumption on the part of the Dromedaris, Reijger and Goede Hoop.

Rigil
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: