Mighty Men Conference

<< < (21/26) > >>

BoogieMonster (September 05, 2014, 16:13:38 PM):
Atheists do not believe he/she/it does exist. This is different to believing that he/she/it's existence is impossible. Atheists do not believe gods are impossible. We have simply seen no evidence for any.

We know we cannot prove that any of the thousands of gods/overlords/monsters/demons/angels/lizzard-aliens ... do not exist. It is impossible because these concepts are not falsifiable.

We also know nobody believing in any of the above can prove their particular flavour of overlord does exist.
j00p (September 05, 2014, 16:20:55 PM):
So in effect it is stalemate.
BoogieMonster (September 05, 2014, 16:27:54 PM):
No.

Prove:

a) A deity exists
b) That deity is all powerful
c) That deity created the universe
d) That deity matches up to what you specifically define as "god".

And we'll switch. But you can't. You could probably not even get past point (a).

The other part of the point is that your argument is entirely inconsistent. Why do you believe in god but not in Zeus? The arguments for both are exactly the same. As is what you (not me) would call the "evidence" for your god.
Mefiante (September 05, 2014, 16:29:01 PM):
Atheists "believe" [God] does not exist…
I’m sure there are some that do. But if you think about it a little, you may realise that rejecting a proposition on the grounds that it is ill-supported and highly improbable is not the same thing as writing it off with absolute certainty. I’m sure you strongly doubt the existence of The Grinch, but you can’t assert its non-existence with 100% certitude — or if you think you can, feel free to explain how.

Oops, that’s logical fallacy No. 3.

'Luthon64
Rigil Kent (September 05, 2014, 16:29:54 PM):
Only if you think that the chances of an untestable, poorly defined, paradoxical, magical unmoved mover existing are around 50:50. Personally, I don't think it's quite that high.

... The Grinch, but you can’t assert its non-existence with 100% certitude
Blasphemer! Just because his heart is two sizes too small doesn't mean he doesn't exist! He's just gotta take it easy a bit when climbing his mountain... >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page