South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 13, 2019, 11:55:44 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

My book on the shelf

(Read 35017 times)
Description: Finally
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2010, 00:05:34 AM »

Stevo, I've been fighting with Adam...sent me a sales report for Nov-Dec 09 (book was published on 2 Nov) sold 20  WTF!! still no news re Jan to Mar or later. Promised once again to finalise the reprint by end July! How about you?
They sent my report (last quarter 2009) to the wrong address (WTF) but I should receive it soon. Will let you know via email how it's going but I have also been frustrated. Actually bought my own book from Exclusive Books today - weird feeling. I gave it to the guy who fixes/maintains my guitars - he did nearly R1000.00 worth of work on the neck for free on the grounds that I give him a copy.
Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »

You had to buy your own book? That sucks, I thought when you eventually do get a book published you get a box full of free copies to give to your friends. That's how it always happens on TV anyway.
cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »

Me mum got 5 copies of each of the three books she wrote...  don't ask though, Afrikaans Mills & Boon ain't a genre I wish on anyone.  Wink
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »

I received 25 free copies from the same publisher as Stevo's: that's when I realised they had published the pre-edit  version of the book and I frecken flipped...this meant that I was not prepared to submit these to critics as it was full of typos etc. and buggered up my marketing! WTF!!
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »

You had to buy your own book? That sucks, I thought when you eventually do get a book published you get a box full of free copies to give to your friends. That's how it always happens on TV anyway.
I received 5 free copies from Raider Publishing International (I took the bronze contract - so Brian clearly took a more expensive package). I sent one to Dan Barker, one to Michael Shermer (and he lost it!!!!!), one to Jenny Crwys-Williams (Radio 702), one to Prof Mabille at Univ Pretoria, and one to another marketing person. I still don't have my own copy. Oh well - buying my own book at least gets the sales figures up  Evil
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2010, 01:47:16 AM »

Can't find the "Start New Topic" tab on the "Events" forum so I'm putting this here.

I will be giving a talk at Mensa Jo'burg this coming Thursday the 19th August. The time is 7.30 for 8.00 pm, and the venue is the Old Eds Sport Club in Houghton. It will be cool to see some of you there. The title of my talk is "Courage To Doubt" (yup, I know, same title as my book but what-the-heck) and copies of my book will be on sale for R140.00 (more expensive than Exclusive Books but I had to DHL them from England and pay customs).

I'm really excited about being invited back to Mensa Jhb (last time I spoke there was about 5 years ago) and the interest they have shown in hearing my story. The chairman, Garth, sounds really cool - and he's an atheist too.

It's gonna be fun.
Lilli

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

Lelani Stolp
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »

who else votes that StevoMuso should start a thread to let us know when and where he will be playing gigs?
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2010, 09:13:39 AM »

Hmm, I may just attend that one Steve.
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »

Seriously guys - there used to be a tab at the top of a forum topic to "start new topic". Mine is simply missing. I will gladly start a thread about my gigs - and a new one about the Mensa talk - but I can't find the friggen tab. Could be because my Google Chrome (that I was using before) crashed and I'm now using Windows Internet Explorer - I dunno. I don't really have time for fiddling (I'm off on my usual weekend gig trip Witbank tonight, sleep there, then to Benoni, then home tomorrow night late, hit the sack and up early (9.00 a.m. is early, okay) and play Sunday lunch jazz gig in Pretoria).

I also wanted to start a thread about my son to get advice (he wants to finish matric from home) - but the "new topic" tab is gone. It's sooo frustrating. And now I have to go - got corprate lunch gig then off to Witbank - hectic. See you all next week and hopefully one of the clever administrators can figure this out.
Peter Grant

Skeptical ability: +5/-9

a fully caused agent

AtheistStoned AtheistStoned
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2010, 12:18:12 PM »

Sounds interesting, I will try to make it as well. Smiley
Sentinel

Skeptical ability: +7/-0

Hellbound Sentry

« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2010, 07:31:28 AM »

Can't find the "Start New Topic" tab on the "Events" forum so I'm putting this here.

Hi Stevo,

Only the Administrator can post new items under "events". Perhaps send him a message with your gig details.

Try inserting this link for now to create a new topic under "members only"

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/members-only/?action=post

Just until you can figure out a permanent solution.
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »

Hi Stevo,

Only the Administrator can post new items under "events". Perhaps send him a message with your gig details.

Try inserting this link for now to create a new topic under "members only"

http://forum.skeptic.za.org/members-only/?action=post

Just until you can figure out a permanent solution.

Awesome, thanks. Seems to have worked.
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »

Hey guys - good news. An American reader put a review of my book on Amazon - it's awesome if you wanna check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Courage-Doubt-Stephen-J-Hurlin/product-reviews/1616670029/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2010, 12:20:35 PM »

Hey guys - good news. An American reader put a review of my book on Amazon - it's awesome if you wanna check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Courage-Doubt-Stephen-J-Hurlin/product-reviews/1616670029/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

You're all over the place, I stumbled across a review on your book on exchristian.net this morning while just mucking about on the interwebs.

Well done, you're becoming notorious!
StevoMuso
Stevo Muso

« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2010, 09:16:05 AM »

You're all over the place, I stumbled across a review on your book on exchristian.net this morning while just mucking about on the interwebs.

Well done, you're becoming notorious!
Yay!! Actually, the one on ExC is the same person (and same review) who put the review on Amazon. I'm a regular member on their forum. We gonna be famous - yay! After the radio show the other day, a guy in Potch contacted me and wants to get actively involved in getting Religion-Free Africa off the ground - register a NPO and get a website up and running. Pretty cool.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: