South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 15, 2019, 18:54:11 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Religion in Public schools

(Read 7259 times)
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »

The problem is that there is no subject in the curriculum that teaches kids critical thinking from an early age, and that's what needs to be introduced to help kids when they're confronted with creationist nonsense like the one in the link Mefiante pointed out. Also, children need to be encouraged to speak openly about their views, this is one thing I drummed into my kids when they were at school. If they disagreed with a teacher's point, they should say so and be able to back up their arguments.

Did the same with my kids, and its paying off now in their teenage years.  My eldest is the bane of many a teachers day, he questions constantly and does not hesitate to do his own research in order to question a teacher's answer.

Arm your kids with knowledge, my boys were exposed to the religious nonsense as youngsters, I sent them to sunday school specifically to expose them to religion, and today they are armed with knowledge which was critically analysed and explained to them. 

My eldest was excused (banned?) from all religious study classes and groups due to his constant challenges. (His school attempted to incorporate all religions by inviting speakers from different sects to come speak to the kids on a weekly basis).  His disruptions encouraged his friends to come up with "clever" challenges themselves and the class eventually erupted into chaos as the religious "leaders" couldnt answer pertinent questions. 

Best we can do is to arm our children with the knowledge they require to expose religious drivel for what it is.
Dissol

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

AccessAfrica
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 12:00:05 PM »

(My first post as a newbie on this Forum).

This is an issue that I have battled with for a long time with my son's schools.  Uphill struggle, but so very worth it.  I regularly berate both head teachers for their appalling bias towards christianity (and specific brands of such) which is disgusting in a multi-ethnic school.  I fought from the inside for some time (joining, and eventually being chairman of the parent committees and the boards of governors).  My first action in both was to stop the custom of having a (very christian based) prayer to start every meeting.  This, with muslims, jews, and myself as the token atheist in attendance.  I fear, now I have left, that the custom will have reverted...

Both my sons have come home at different times quite upset after being quizzed by their teachers over which church they attend (I actually encourage both my sons to go with their friends to different churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, etc., but with open minds...the eldest decided to stop, when he found out that his 'friends' were getting paid for his attendance!). 

But I think that it is an issue that all parents need to make a noise about, and make a stand, even as I found out, it can make you very unpopular.  (I happen to be a wheelchair user, and one parent decided to point out - for my own benefit, clearly - that I am in a wheelchair because I have sinned against her god...hmm nice god she has there...my response was meant just as helpfully when I hoped that she never became disabled).
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 13:26:46 PM »

Welcome Dissol! Smiley

one parent decided to point out - for my own benefit, clearly - that I am in a wheelchair because I have sinned against her god

Shocking and heart breaking that so many children are still exposed to parents who operate with this brand of medieval reasoning. Once infected with a smidgen-of-'ligion the victim routinely utters this sort of crap. Theistic brain circuitry knows no limits.

I applaud your brave efforts.

Mintaka
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +62/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 19:26:18 PM »

I applaud your brave efforts.
Unreservedly seconded, and welcome to a small club.

'Luthon64
Jane of the Jungle

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 06:50:32 AM »

A warm welcome to you Dissol Smiley

I live in a “Boere” community and can not dare to mention anything.  Have to protect my kid for 2 more years but admire you taking a stand against the masses!

(I happen to be a wheelchair user, and one parent decided to point out - for my own benefit, clearly - that I am in a wheelchair because I have sinned against her god...hmm nice god she has there...my response was meant just as helpfully when I hoped that she never became disabled).
WTF!!

I wish some people would actually try to use their brain before outer such crap.  
Wonder what their explanation for many Theists being disabled would be!

Ooooh Oh ….I forgot, that’s gawd’s ways to make people’s religion stronger!  No, No don’t get high hopes, you’ll never walk again, he just want to show you who’s da boss  Roll Eyes or, or somthing like that!  Stupidity!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:37:45 AM by Jane of the Jungle » Logged
mdg

Skeptical ability: +5/-0

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »

Welcome to the forum Dissol

Good on you for having the courage to do something that many of us would not have done.

Quote from: Dissol
I happen to be a wheelchair user, and one parent decided to point out - for my own benefit, clearly - that I am in a wheelchair because I have sinned against her god...hmm nice god she has there...my response was meant just as helpfully when I hoped that she never became disabled

Proof that stupidity is limitless. Words fail me. Sad
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »

that I am in a wheelchair because I have sinned against her god...

Hmm, if, according to the bible, we are all burdened with sin. (Original if you're catholic)

Then wouldn't the entire world be disabled? Struck by horrible earthquakes? Smited (smitten?) repeatedly?

Oh no wait, Jesus died for your sins.... but then, why did he not absolve everyone?

Let's just say, well handled, I wouldn't have been so courteous.

cyghost
Skeptically yours

Skeptical ability: +12/-1

Carpe diem

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 10:38:47 AM »

I happen to be a wheelchair user, and one parent decided to point out - for my own benefit, clearly - that I am in a wheelchair because I have sinned against her god...
What a hag. I know I don't want to be in any sort of heaven with people like her!

And hi and welcome to you, sir Wink
(Original if you're catholic)
Protestant too as far as I recall. What a horrible and horribly stupid concept.
Dissol

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

AccessAfrica
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!  I am originally from Scotland, but now living in the heart of Boere country, but being a Scot I tend to speak my mind, and sod the consequences.  Yes, it can, and does make me unpopular at times!

But (as I am sure anyone with a disability can tell you) I often get the "god is punishing you" line.  I also attract the woo sellers, and keep getting approached by all sorts of quacks with a certain cure for my condition.  If there is even a whiff of them trying to make money out of their scheme, then I don't hold back (think Billy Connelly, on a bad day).  If there is no financial reward, then I usually take the trouble to try to explain where there logic breaks down.  Recently, I had a (very attractive) young lady approach me, saying that she had been told by her god to come and cure me.  Now, being a heterosexual male, I quite enjoyed having a good looking lady holding my legs for a minute or two (even if I could not feel it).  I did tell her that I was certain that what she was doing was a waste of her time, and it is all nonsense.  I failed to point out that my legs are fine, no problem at all...the problem is actually in my spinal cord (is it too much to expect spiritual entities to have cursory knowledge of human biology??).  She then informed me that I would be walking again within 24 hrs.  (At that stage I did warn her that making comments like that could be really quite upsetting for some gullible people, but I am not sure it penetrated...).  Anyway, we bumped into one another some weeks later, and she seemed really shocked that I was still not walking...
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 10:15:37 AM »

And thank you for gracing us with your presence.  Grin

(think Billy Connelly, on a bad day)

HAHAHAHA! I can picture that, not pretty!

Anyway, we bumped into one another some weeks later, and she seemed really shocked that I was still not walking...

I know someone who is getting on in years. His knees are giving in and he has excruciating pain when walking. The last couple of years he's taken to not walking much and using a cane at all times. He is also quite religious.

So one day while out he gets approached by a "faith healer visiting SA", obviously being spotted because of his cane. The guy swoops right in, and there's also lots of praying and laying-of-hands, etc. In the end the guy tells him "to have faith, and abandon the cane" for he is "cured". The old man bought every word of it, and now walks around without the cane. I'm sure he's in endless pain (from the way he walks it's obvious), but he refuses to acknowledge that anything is wrong. This makes me deeply sad. He must be doing so much damage to the little cartilage that he has left...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: