South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

September 21, 2020, 19:24:00 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

The Offense Industry Strikes Again

(Read 638 times)
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 08:39:59 AM »

Incidentally, speaking of BEE, Clicks is very much a BEE company, owned and staffed almost in its entirety by blacks. And now the EFF has targeted them for destruction. I wonder if the best response would not be to have a very good laugh? :-)

I think I've noticed something, maybe just me: When I was a kid the old people were always crass. I grew up with the notion that "old" people were just generally impolite and spoke too directly almost always. I think it became "a thing" old people are just known for and were given lots of leeway to do cause... you know.... "their olden ways".

Maybe what's actually happening, is that there was this time of relative peace and stability in which people forgot how to speak their minds and in which companies placate to the point of their own destruction. Maybe there's (by my count at least 3) generations that have forgotten how to deal with the communist/nazi-like insanity. The solution (I feel like I'm reiterating, I apologise in advance) is not to appease and play nice and try to de-escalate to keep the peace. Instead, as said here eloquently recently, maybe the old ones knew the answer long before we did: Just tell them to freck off.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 08:41:22 AM »

And here we go again:

Investigation into US professor sparks debate over Chinese word

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54107329

Oh god...
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +64/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 10:17:18 AM »

And here we go again:

As the world vigorously rushes headlong into a lightless abyss of absurdity, there’s a delicious irony at work in this specific instance:  The people who clamour loudest for respect, tolerance, and understanding are the very ones who would deny the same to those they deem to have caused offence, even when the latter are completely and demonstrably innocent.  The fact that the Chinese use a word in their own language and culture that to other ears sounds like an offensive epithet is clearly no excuse in the mind of the froth-at-the-mouth SJW.

This is how the world ends in hilarity.

'Luthon64
Rigil Kent
Armed liberal

Skeptical ability: +20/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 14:05:39 PM »

Sulke homofoniese misverstande is nie eers uniek aan Chinees nie.

'n Engelssprekende moeder het my eenkeer verwoed aangegluur toe ek vir haar dogter wat nog op skool is vra, "En wat is jou gunsteling vak?"
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +15/-0

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 14:42:06 PM »

Sulke homofoniese misverstande is nie eers uniek aan Chinees nie.

'n Engelssprekende moeder het my eenkeer verwoed aangegluur toe ek vir haar dogter wat nog op skool is vra, "En wat is jou gunsteling vak?"

Iemand vertel my een keer hy en sy broer is bitter vies aangegluur deur 'n Indiër toe een van hulle op 'n warm dag voorstel dat huylle "koelies" gaan koop. Ja, miskien moes hulle maar die woord koeldrank gebruik het soos die res van ons, maar dit was die gesinswoord waarmee hul grootgeword het... :-)

En toe ek nog onderwys gegee het vertel my kollega, wat Afrikaans aangebied het, my hoe haar leerlinge altyd lag vir die woord "fakkel."
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +15/-0

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 14:52:56 PM »

And here we go again:

As the world vigorously rushes headlong into a lightless abyss of absurdity, there’s a delicious irony at work in this specific instance:  The people who clamour loudest for respect, tolerance, and understanding are the very ones who would deny the same to those they deem to have caused offence, even when the latter are completely and demonstrably innocent.  The fact that the Chinese use a word in their own language and culture that to other ears sounds like an offensive epithet is clearly no excuse in the mind of the froth-at-the-mouth SJW.

This is how the world ends in hilarity.

'Luthon64

The phenomenon seems to be mostly limited to academia. More specifically, the useless part of academia. You don't see much in the way of serious protests against all the white, misogynistic racism in engineering departments, for the simple reason that bridges do not care which color of person built them; only the physics matters.

In the longer run, they may achieve little more than the total collapse of their own departments, and for the most part, it will be no great loss.

And if the disease spreads to the rest of the campus? Well, then universities will collapse. No one will take a university degree seriously anymore, and employers will simply institute their own exams and apprenticeship systems to replace formal "education."

Ah, here we go again:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54138247

Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +64/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 15:24:40 PM »

Dalk was die moeder nie so seer oor die klank van jou vraag as sulks ontsteld nie as oor dat jy dit nie na haar kant toe gerig het nie… Magtig!

The phenomenon seems to be mostly limited to academia. More specifically, the useless part of academia.
That seems to be the case at present but it could easily morph into something far more frightening.  And remember that we are left to deal with the destructive and obstructive legacy of postmodernist thought.  It, too, began as a fringe endeavour in academia which quickly found widespread favour in society at large.

'Luthon64
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 15:43:33 PM »

haar kant

Shoe!

The phenomenon seems to be mostly limited to academia. More specifically, the useless part of academia.
That seems to be the case at present but it could easily morph into something far more frightening.  And remember that we are left to deal with the destructive and obstructive legacy of postmodernist thought.  It, too, began as a fringe endeavour in academia which quickly found widespread favour in society at large.

Lest we forget "science must fall". The attempts are there.
Rigil Kent
Armed liberal

Skeptical ability: +20/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 16:30:31 PM »

Lips Sealed Grin
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: