South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 14, 2019, 03:48:03 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Witchcraft alive and well in Africa

(Read 1949 times)
Description: Killing of albinos for their magical powers
Wandapec

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

100% Proud Atheist/Skeptic

« on: October 23, 2008, 06:43:32 AM »

I have a daughter that is about to turn 10, and when I see stories like this where a little girl gets killed so her body parts can be used to make magical potions; it just gets me so angry! It is absolutely amazing, and I guess we see it all the time, that in this day and age the lack of melanin in your skin puts you in to a category where your body parts are so powerful that people are willing to kill you, regardless of your age so that the parts can be sold to make potions that make you rich! It is just sickening!
scienceteacheragain
godlike, humble, know-it-all

Skeptical ability: +2/-0

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 17:29:10 PM »

It is shocking.
It is also shocking that it isn't the only the ignorant, rural, Africans who believe in the stuff.
Others seem to also believe that witches in Africa have power.  The thing is, if Obama wins the election, that will prove that the witches muti is more powerful than their god, no?
Peter H

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 16:27:12 PM »

Yes witchcraft is alive and well. Thank the gods for this. It is practiced by many all over the world and in many forms. But to surmise that the killing for body parts by savages for savages represents witch craft is silly. Must we now start looking at the morality of christianity every time a crime is committed by a christian. Modern witchcraft as practiced by Wiccans is totally non violent and unlike christianity does not offer a "get out of jail free" card in the form of unconditional forgiveness.

Maybe however religions that promote violence should be looked at. I for one would like to see the old testament of the bible banned for its violent content. Oops sorry we cant do that can we because it was god that did all the killing.
Wandapec

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

100% Proud Atheist/Skeptic

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:51:35 AM »

This is very sad. It is so hard to believe that we wake up to stories like this in this day and age! Monkey 'burnt to death' by community
Moswetsi was woken up by friends on Monday morning and told about the monkey, they said it was going around Kagiso "talking to people".
WTF!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: