South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

September 22, 2019, 10:07:54 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Feel-Good story for the day!

(Read 4528 times)
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »

What is a 'busa? I do not like bikes but I suppose they make economic sense. 
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 13:00:08 PM »

Click on Rigil Kent’s “falcon” link to find out.

'Luthon64
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 08:01:16 AM »

I ride (or rather used to) a Zook GSR600, lowered to accommodate my short stature. Neither the S/O nor I ride anymore, we freak each other out with worry when we do, so we basically parked the bikes.

We're thinking of selling the bike though, if anyone's interested, drop me a pm.
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 09:18:07 AM »

I do not like bikes but I suppose they make economic sense. 

Not to mention some dubious advantages when you're running late. Shocked

Rigil
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 14:23:20 PM »

What is a 'busa?

As the link and video shows, it's what you drive when you think standard-issue widow makers are getting a tad boring. However I just like it because my frame sits much more comfortably in it than most other bikes.

I do not like bikes but I suppose they make economic sense.

Don't let people tell you lies. Small bikes like 125's and 250 scooters are frugal, but sport bikes can be thirsty. For instance the Suzuki Hayabusa I mentioned has a 'wikipedia' usage of:

32 mpg-US (7.4 L/100 km)

Doesn't say city or highway, but it doesn't matter... Since that is about 1400cc, lets compare to a car: Suzuki swift 1.4:

Fuel per 100km - average    5.5 Litres
Fuel per 100km - extra-urban    4.7 Litres
Fuel per 100km - urban    7.0 Litres

I think some bikers may have it in their heads they're biking to "save money". I suspect most do it because it's fun, and that's fine by me. However facts are facts, the average sports bike might consume less than a light car, but not by as much as people go bragging about. (It is a crapload faster though)

Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 16:13:47 PM »

In free fall you do about 200km, if you go down head first you can do 300km but up there the other  people jumping with you are doing more or less the same speed. 300km on a public road? That's criminal.
My long term fuel consumption on a Corsa diesel is 17.3 km/liter but I have done 20 km/l - not fun though.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 17:06:44 PM »

I ride (or rather used to) a Zook GSR600, lowered to accommodate my short stature.

Shocked I have a '06 GSR! Very, very nice bike!
Majin

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 18:56:28 PM »

It's only a 125 cc so Highway riding might be a bit scarey.

While a 125cc bike is the minimum legal requirement for riding on a highway, I have my doubts that even a 250cc is practical. If there is a requirement to regularly go above 100km/h during your commute, I wouldn't go much below a 400.

Rigil

I agree. I have 125cc bike. I don't drive it anymore because of the danger on the road. My next bike would probably be a 400cc or a 600cc. I feel much more comfourtable being away from other drivers.
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 07:54:23 AM »

I ride (or rather used to) a Zook GSR600, lowered to accommodate my short stature.

Shocked I have a '06 GSR! Very, very nice bike!

Lovely bike, classified as a commuter which saves on the insurance, but I've been able to leave the S/O on his SV650 choking on dust on occassion.

My next bike would probably be a 400cc or a 600cc. I feel much more comfourtable being away from other drivers.

For a lady the 400 is no good, they're lumpy, really heavy and it being a grey import, generally not good for resale value.  Go for a 600 if you're inclined to a bigger bike, although personally, for a lady, the Hoender (Honda) 250cc is all we need unless you're blessed with too much testoterone and want to embarrass the men on the track.

I had a 400 before I got the GSR and the difference in weight and ease in riding was remarkable. I moerred off that 400 more times than I can remember at a standstill and it was due to weight (and the fact that I'm bloody short and at best had to swing half off the seat at a standstill just to get a tiptoe on the ground).  The 600 is a lightweight in comparison and easy to maneuvre, I also had it lowered to accommodate my toes at least touching the ground without having to shift on the seat.

I also prefer riding at the back of the pack, or even better, on my own. The sense of tranquility and being "at peace" when riding is what I miss the most. Just you, the machine, the road and your thinks. Bliss.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: