South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

November 12, 2019, 13:13:23 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Letting someone know you're an atheist.

(Read 10792 times)
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »

Oh please babe, your reading habits make mine pale in comparison!
Superman

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »

I have heard it said that the new younger brand of atheists are dumb and stupid.
But that simply is not true! I am sure that as soon as you become atheist your IQ goes up with 10 points. Add to that veganism that is another 20 points. Add to that, Asian + girl + lesbian = divine intelligence.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 13:06:40 PM »

I am sure that as soon as you become atheist your IQ goes up with 10 points.
I think you might have your causality back-to-front… Angel

'Luthon64
Hermes

Skeptical ability: +18/-2

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 13:42:53 PM »

I have heard it said that the new younger brand of atheists are dumb and stupid.
But that simply is not true! I am sure that as soon as you become atheist your IQ goes up with 10 points. Add to that veganism that is another 20 points. Add to that, Asian + girl + lesbian = divine intelligence.
You mean to say atheist, vegan, Asian, lesbian girls are retarded?
Zulumoose

Skeptical ability: +2/-0

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 13:53:13 PM »

In the bad old days, you had to be pretty smart to figure out that religion was total bullshit, when there was little access to information to support you.

Nowadays it is pretty obvious unless you grow up in a religion drenched environment, so the basic entrance requirement intelligence level for considered atheists (as opposed to default atheists)is dropping all the time.

On our side though, is the fact that religious IQ should be dropping in parallel, since it takes a higher and higher degree of gullibility to be convinced of the truth in religious bullshit these days.
GCG

Skeptical ability: +8/-4

skeptical mantis is skeptical

adele horn
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 14:46:35 PM »

i'm pretty sure that atheists have been around a good while.  it was just near-impossible to be 'out' in a religious woo-fest, and still have a job/house/life.
Hermes

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 16:51:58 PM »

I was disinherited for a good couple years
We actually had the opposite problem in our family.  There is a very old family bible which is traditionally inherited by the youngest living sibling.  I am the youngest (No. 4), but did not want it because I'm atheist.  Brother No. 3 is also atheist, but for sexual rather than skeptical reasons.  Brother No. 2 then suddenly became very religious and even started praying in that funny accent of devotion when he said grace at meals.  He eventually inherited the bible, but shortly after that he must have seen a light on the road to Delmas, for he also became atheist.  He swapped the bible for a painting with Brother No. 1, who fits in ideally.  He is a young earth creationist and goes to a church where they do spiritual healing.
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 18:52:57 PM »

Not one of those huge leather bound 19th century Dutch Bibles perchance? Very collectible.

Rigil
Hermes

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 21:25:14 PM »

It is, but what do you do with it?  You cannot sell it, it's a family heirloom.  You have to look after it.  You may impress people, but I prefer books that I would actually read and that don't weigh a ton.
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 05:16:43 AM »

It is, but what do you do with it?  You cannot sell it, it's a family heirloom.  You have to look after it.  You may impress people, but I prefer books that I would actually read and that don't weigh a ton.
I have a beautiful leather bound Afrikaans "Verklarende Bybel" that was given me by the church elders after doing some strategic planning for them (they had no idea that I was atheist). I read it quite often to confirm my atheism. Also used it as research for my novel.  Grin
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 07:55:27 AM »

Depending on the age and condition, you can either flog it or donate it to a museum.  I'm a collector of books and prior to my "deconversion", I've managed to attain quite a few really old bibles, they weigh a ton and take up a crapload of space (the one is printed in A3 and leather bound), but can be worth the same in gold as well.
GCG

Skeptical ability: +8/-4

skeptical mantis is skeptical

adele horn
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »

i only collect books that i actually want to read.  i got a bible for like, my 13th birthday or something.  i havent the foggiest idea what happened to it.  might have made paper aeroplanes with it.  or built a viking death barge with it for my deceased goldfish.
Zulumoose

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »

i only collect books that i actually want to read.  i got a bible for like, my 13th birthday or something.  i havent the foggiest idea what happened to it.  might have made paper aeroplanes with it.  or built a viking death barge with it for my deceased goldfish.

What a neat idea, I hope you used the old testament, it is full of fire and brimstone.
LJGraey
Don't come to the dark side. We're all out of cookies.

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

Semper in excreta

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »

Lol...  An old friend of mine used to carry one of those tiny blue Gideon's bibles around with him. He used the pages to roll joints. We always used to joke that he should've started with Revelations.

I still have the Bible I got after my confirmation. Big old black Afrikaans thing. And years later my sister gave me a really beautifully bound NEV Bible. I also have a nice Koran, given to me by a friend, which I haven't even opened yet. I guess my love of books extends as much to the aesthetic as is does to the content. All I need now is a copy of the Book of Mormon, Torah, and maybe the I Ching, then I'd have a nice collection of religious texts going... As long as they're pretty on the outside of course.
Zulumoose

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »

All I need now is a copy of the Book of Mormon, Torah, and maybe the I Ching

Don't forget two of the most commonly available in 2nd hand shops:-

Dianetics (scientology)
The science of self realisation (krishna-consciousness)

Not sure what buddhist or hindu texts would be appropriate.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: