South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

February 22, 2020, 14:03:06 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

The little things that irk us so

(Read 127955 times)
GCG

Skeptical ability: +8/-4

skeptical mantis is skeptical

adele horn
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »

@ Faerie. and you work there still because?
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2012, 09:18:23 AM »

Its a job?

and I'm in a comfort zone?

and I rather like what I'm doing?

and we're smack bang in the middle of a recession and I'm in a conservative "Hang onto what you've got till the outlook gets better" mode?

actually,  I love my job.
JoanA Arc

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »

@Faerie - I know exatly how you feel.  I was hauled into the boss' office end of the year before leaving for the holidays, to get the annual pep talk. This company (big corporate) is in the throes of restructuring the business - read that to be "ditching employees to improve our profits".  1200 jobs got the chop. I've been here 14 years as an exec. PA.  Was told thanks for working so hard this past year,carry on the good work, and oh, BTW, due to the restructuring you may or may not have a job next year.  Happy Christmas!  My boss is retiring, a fat and happy wealthy cat, at the end of June this year, so he doesn't give a rat's ass.  So here I sit, having to deal with the possibiilty that I might (or might not) get the chop.  Changing jobs is not easy, especially as one is not a spring chicken (I'm 48 - a huge admission but I am brave). I'm uncertain from day to day that I will continue to have a job.  It's a lousy feeling.
GCG

adele horn
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2012, 09:47:36 AM »

in my ten years of working, i have been retrenched 3 times.  it's awesome  Sad
Lilli

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

Lelani Stolp
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2012, 15:40:55 PM »

Wow, I guess I'm just extremely lucky... towards the end of last year I told my boss that I was going to take an afternoon off to go to a job interview, as I felt that I just wasnt going to 'get anywhere' at their company. He then gave me a 30% raise, a fat bonus, and all but begged me to stay...
We do still open our office meetings with bible study and prayer through...
I suppose every job has its sh*t
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2012, 15:04:27 PM »

Telkom. Tried for four days to report faulty phone. You just hang on listening to their "Your call is important to us" till my cordless handset run out of battery power. If this was a private business with competition they would have been bankrupt long ago. I dare the top Telkom people to report a phone as an ordinary customer.
GCG

adele horn
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2012, 15:55:10 PM »

email all these people, somewhere, you will get a response
whitenh@telkom.co.za, mansveng@telkom.co.za, badenpj1@telkom.co.za, esccentre@telkom.co.za, Chidim@telkom.co.za, lephadml@telkom.co.za, rrasetjg@telkom.co.za, MoholiNT@Telkom.co.za, chettpr2@telkom.co.za, whitenh@telkom.co.za, mayfarl@telkom.co.za, madonssnz@telkom.co.za, Oliverga@telkom.co.za, ...  and so on and so forth

some might end up with private people (telkom being an ISP, but seems their email addies for these are telkom.net as opposed to telkom.co.za) 
good luck
Faerie

« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »

So I had a "meet and greet" interview with an agency last Wednesday. Lovely, foot in the door kind of stuff. I pitch up with my professional suit, just enough cleavage, a new hairdo and closed shoes as per professional protocol to meet a 72 year old man who immediatly looks me up and down and say:  "My, but you're a little person are'nt you..." He bought up (no pun intended) my height no less than 4 times during the interview (I'm 5ft exactly). I utterly DETEST patronising old men.

ps. I did score a couple interviews leading from this one, so biting my tongue and being uber civil does have rewards.
Tweefo

« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »

email all these people, somewhere, you will get a response
whitenh@telkom.co.za, mansveng@telkom.co.za, badenpj1@telkom.co.za, esccentre@telkom.co.za, Chidim@telkom.co.za, lephadml@telkom.co.za, rrasetjg@telkom.co.za, MoholiNT@Telkom.co.za, chettpr2@telkom.co.za, whitenh@telkom.co.za, mayfarl@telkom.co.za, madonssnz@telkom.co.za, Oliverga@telkom.co.za, ...  and so on and so forth

some might end up with private people (telkom being an ISP, but seems their email addies for these are telkom.net as opposed to telkom.co.za) 
good luck
Thanks GCG. The phone was installed but never put on the system. So, even though they gave us a number it does not exist. I can not report it as faulty because it does not exist. The installation people can not put it on the system now. The ref number of the original installation was removed and can not be put back on. So I get send from one department to the next until I am back where I started but with a different person of course. Catch 22. So I have to explain the whole sad story again. In the end I just applied for a new phone. Have to wait 14 to 30 days. How come they are still in business? Monopoly and no competition of course.
Tweefo

« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2012, 17:50:25 PM »

Is it really news who is going to Whitney Houston's funeral? I can understand the death making the news, but now? We live, we die, get on with it. On the other hand I would rather be bored by this than reading of some nuclear war in the Middle East.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2012, 18:11:18 PM »

Coming home to find Majin enraged, scolded by her sibling for "being angry at god and becoming an atheist" and other clueless ramblings we all know and love. Following that: the web of gossip and intrigue that unfolds as her family realises she's really serious about all this "no god" stuff, blame being flung around willy nilly (As if there's any-thing/one to "blame" but the truth); probably including my "involvement". And family drama in general. *deep sigh*

edit: And did I mention we're NOT MARRIED YET?! SIN! DISGRACE! SHUT CHILDREN'S EARS!
GCG

adele horn
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »

living in sin:  fun since the dawn of time

not to be grim, but mebbeh it's time that she cut ties.  coz, (and i'm speaking from experience here) if the family starts getting inbetween you okes (and they will easily spread rumours of infidelity etc), then shits gonna head south quickly, and ruin something good.
AND, might i add, if you want to get hitched, she might get bullied into a church wedding, coz she doesnt want to offend gran/aunt/daddy, AND family might threaten to boycott said wedding if not held in a church.
AND when sprogs appear, you would for ever be fighting off woo-induction, and having them talk bullshit into your kid's heads.
i cut ties with my family, and it is a HUGE weight off my shoulders.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »

Quote from: GCG
if you want to get hitched, she might get bullied into a church wedding

Don't I know it. As I noted she's already receiving pressure to get married ASAP, and of course everyone wants to be there; something I don't really care for. People all seem to think we're not "serious" until we're wearing little bits of precious metal around our fingers. Man, in this day and age that shit is LEGIT! (/sarcasm)

Seriously though, we're not taking any of this lying down. We're doing our own thing come hell(heh) or high water.

FWIW, we don't really come into contact much with most of her family, mostly because of all the BS that flies around. Dad is barely religious so we're totally cool with him. The rest is another story, but I'm not compromising for anyone.
Faerie

« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »

Quote from: GCG
if you want to get hitched, she might get bullied into a church wedding

Don't I know it. As I noted she's already receiving pressure to get married ASAP, and of course everyone wants to be there; something I don't really care for. People all seem to think we're not "serious" until we're wearing little bits of precious metal around our fingers. Man, in this day and age that shit is LEGIT! (/sarcasm)

Just elope.  We got married last April and only told them in October.  Some pissed off old ladies was the result and my mother in law arranged a "reception" at her house in November to "celebrate" our "Union".  I grinned a beared that one. It annoys me when people think that your life together only starts at marriage, imo, that is why marriages fail, you have this utterly warped idea that things will be different or better once you're hitched, when in reality your time together NOW is what counts.

I had an altercation with my sister in law over the fact that I refuse to wear a ring, and I pointed out to her that her own values are seriously under doubt as she's one of those status conscious people that throw a R40k party for her three year old.

Society is seriously farked up in my humble opinion.

We created our own ceremony, and the magistrate was only too happy to play along with our requests.  We went home and planted a tree.

Ask her what she wants, go jump out of a plane or something that appeals to you and marry each other on your own terms.
Superman

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »

i cut ties with my family, and it is a HUGE weight off my shoulders.
GCG stick to your guns and one day your family will see the light.

My family has long since learned not to interfere with my business.
As long as I don't make waves they respect me by not making waves either.
It took some time though.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: