South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

April 03, 2020, 20:22:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 45   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

The little things that irk us so

(Read 129593 times)
cr1t

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

cr1t
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2012, 16:24:08 PM »

1. Write awesome javascript code using firefox, any problems are instantly waxed with firebug (interactive debugger for FF).
2. Test on Chrome, Opera, (insert some others here), various FF versions (if you even bother with diff FF versions): 99% of the time this is no problem.

3. Make X = 7.
4. Start testing on IE version X.... Find problems.
5. Try to fix IE(X) problems...

And that is why I stopped writing my own Javascript for all my web development. It's not worth the hard ship.
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:35 AM »

1. Write awesome javascript code using firefox, any problems are instantly waxed with firebug (interactive debugger for FF).
2. Test on Chrome, Opera, (insert some others here), various FF versions (if you even bother with diff FF versions): 99% of the time this is no problem.

3. Make X = 7.
4. Start testing on IE version X.... Find problems.
5. Try to fix IE(X) problems...
And that is why I stopped writing my own Javascript for all my web development. It's not worth the hard ship.
I suspect this is deliberate on the part of MS.  If you develop according to web standards, then your site doesn't work in IE.  Since IE has the lion's share of the browser market, you must change your code to work in IE, but then it doesn't work properly in competing browsers which creates the false impression that IE is better.  Disclaimer: IANAWD
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »

I suspect this is deliberate on the part of MS.  If you develop according to web standards, then your site doesn't work in IE.  Since IE has the lion's share of the browser market, you must change your code to work in IE, but then it doesn't work properly in competing browsers which creates the false impression that IE is better.  Disclaimer: IANAWD

In my initial post about this I put a link that describes this strategy of theirs.
cr1t

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

cr1t
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »

I suspect this is deliberate on the part of MS.  If you develop according to web standards, then your site doesn't work in IE.  Since IE has the lion's share of the browser market, you must change your code to work in IE, but then it doesn't work properly in competing browsers which creates the false impression that IE is better.  Disclaimer: IANAWD

In my initial post about this I put a link that describes this strategy of theirs.

From your link on wiki

During the browser wars, other companies besides Microsoft introduced proprietary, non-standards-compliant extensions. For example, in 1995, Netscape implemented the "font" tag, among other HTML extensions, without seeking review from a standards body. With the rise of Internet Explorer, the two companies became locked in a dead heat to out-implement each other with non-standards-compliant features.

I think this is why we still sitting with issues. All I can say is HTML5 will hopefully put an end to all our troubles.
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2012, 14:00:58 PM »

I deal with Adult education in a corporate environment.  I assist with the bookings and registrations and all related matters.  The people I deal with are all degreed individuals and the youngest are generally in their late 20's.

So this morning I get a hysterical phone call form a "man" - apparently he wasnt registered for an examination and it.is.all.my.fault.  Fine, we can fix the problem, but first you need to calm down a tad so that I can at least get your name, where the hell you are and what the hell you were supposed to be writing.  So he slams the phone down in my ear.

The next thing, the phone rings and its his DAD!!!

Wanting to know why I dont help his son...  WTF!!

I requested from him that his son phone me again so that we can resolve the issue and the man refused....  Undecided

Apparently I will abuse this poor 29 year old boy...

I'm torn between hysterical laughter and utter disgust.
Superman

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

Apparently I will abuse this poor 29 year old boy...
I'm torn between hysterical laughter and utter disgust.

Advise him to go and see the film Ted.
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2012, 14:46:13 PM »

The lady that works for me got confused between Groblersdal and Groblershoop. I now have to do 1860 km instead of 160.
Faerie

« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2012, 14:55:19 PM »

The lady that works for me got confused between Groblersdal and Groblershoop. I now have to do 1860 km instead of 160.

shiiiiiit....

You sound very, how shall we say, um, resigned to it?  Did you shout at her? I would have eaten her head for lunch.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +63/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2012, 15:16:07 PM »

I would have eaten her head for lunch.
Why?  Are you on a zero-calorie diet? Wink

'Luthon64
Faerie

« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2012, 15:33:38 PM »

I would have eaten her head for lunch.
Why?  Are you on a zero-calorie diet? Wink

'Luthon64

*snigger*!!!

Tweefo

« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2012, 16:26:30 PM »

shiiiiiit....

You sound very, how shall we say, um, resigned to it?  Did you shout at her? I would have eaten her head for lunch.
She is new in her job, so I have to grin and to the driving. I've got a Sunday to get there but on the Monday I am going to be busy till 2pm and then I have to drive back. On Tuesday I have to be in Lothair at 7am.
Tweefo

« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2012, 16:43:59 PM »

I am going off topic here. Is there a forum or something about "road conditions"? I looked for one but can not find anything worthwhile. Somewhere where members can rate a road from 1 to 5 with a date. I went to Groblershoop on Sunday and expected a bad road from Kimberly to Grobler but was pleasantly surprised. Today I traveled from Middelburg to Lothair and between Hendrina and Ermelo there was heavy road works. A site like that can be useful to people.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2012, 17:01:39 PM »

Do you mean something like http://www.waze.com/ ?
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +20/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »

Is there a forum or something about "road conditions"?

I have on occasion resorted to inspecting road surfaces prior to leaving the house with the wonderful satellite application in Google maps. The resolution is often just enough to spot outsized potholes, excessive numbers of goats and the like.

Rigil
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »

Is there a forum or something about "road conditions"?

I have on occasion resorted to inspecting road surfaces prior to leaving the house with the wonderful satellite application in Google maps. The resolution is often just enough to spot outsized potholes, excessive numbers of goats and the like.

Rigil
Things visible from space: the Great Wall of China, South African potholes, my ex wife.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 45   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: