South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

June 19, 2019, 20:42:04 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 45   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

The little things that irk us so

(Read 119236 times)
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »

I'll blame it on psychosis.

Angel
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »

Perhaps the thing to do is to file a counter-complaint alleging abusive behaviour, disrespect or something similarly vague and hard-to-prove.  Chances are, that’ll muddy the waters enough to arrive at a resolution that dissatisfies everyone… Evil

'Luthon64
Faerie

« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2012, 13:13:21 PM »

Perhaps the thing to do is to file a counter-complaint alleging abusive behaviour, disrespect or something similarly vague and hard-to-prove.  Chances are, that’ll muddy the waters enough to arrive at a resolution that dissatisfies everyone… Evil

'Luthon64

Fortunately not necessary, I spoke to the boss, forwarded her my very professional e-mails directed to this lady requesting the necessities to which she (very conveniently) didnt respond to.  So basically she took her shovel and dug her own hole pretty deep and forgot to shore up the sides.  Corporate culture is a bitch. Passive agressiveness too. Pissing off Faeries as well.  Cheesy
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2012, 14:41:00 PM »

Cooowell, well done!  Sometimes the facts do speak clearly. Wink

'Luthon64
Faerie

« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2012, 14:38:22 PM »

Doing two weeks worth of work including overtime and then picking up a discrepancy on a submission, when questioning it, you're told that the powers-that-be changed the template and sent the new one out yesterday.... and forgot to put you on the distribution list... and you need to submit on the new template by Monday morning...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...................ck.....

Angry

I'm mad.
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2012, 17:02:20 PM »

I had my phone stolen, snatched off my lap trough the open window (my fault I know). I now have fantasies of driving around with an explosive device, looking like a cellphone, sitting on my lap inviting one to take it. I can then blow the #$%*er's hand off as he is running away. With my luck of course somebody will dial the wrong number and blow me up. Angry
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2012, 00:09:57 AM »

Watching braindead sensationalist journalism that makes me so irritated that I post on skeptics about it. (I'm sure nicotine withdrawal has NOTHING to do with the following post. You've been warned.)

I was just watching this thing called "Weird or what?" on Discovery..

Quick Digression: This channel has become intent on being classified "occult" instead of "sciencey". This used to be the home of mythbusters, but is now the home of bigfoot hunters, ghost experts, alien conspiracy programs, and "weird or what?".

My word.... just ONE segment says it all: this chick is in a skydiving accident wherein her shute partially opens, but still slows her descent by more than 50%. She impacts the ground pretty hard but survives... after numerous surgeries to recostruct various parts of her body and face. Now the big mystery is "How did she survive". Well, first they call in an air-crash investigator that explains her velocity + angle of impact could easily, scientifically, explain why she survived.

But then the narrator chips in... "But can science REALLY explain this strange occurrance?".

At this point I'm kinda blinking strangely at the TV.. muttering to myself: "Uh, yeah, he just explained it right at your face"

... the narrator continues while we cut to an elderly woman: "Ms. FundyFoo believes angels could've saved Ms. Victim"...

At this point Ms. FundyFoo explains how angels temporarily suspended the laws of physics to save Ms Victim, but they only did it in such a way that it would LOOK like it was explainable by physics, but actually isn't. It was clearly a miracle then, no doubt, science could NEVER explain it!

Mr Narrator is at it again: "This surely sounds like an interesting theory".

But wait, yet again we cut to another scientist (nr. 2), with a "contradictory" theory to scientist nr 1. I realise within a minute that the two theories aren't actually all that contradictory and with a minor adjustment can easily be complementary. But once again mr. narrator has to tie up the results for us:

"Can this occurrence be explained by science or were angels involved, We will never know, we can only guess..."

Right, "guess", because the two scientists didn't actually explain it to you in easy to understand words, and in under 5 minutes, completely plausibly.

Oh, one more thing, could the angels not have stopped all thie life-threatening injuries or are they into job-creation for surgeons?

GAWD people are so FUCKING STUPID!
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2012, 04:48:55 AM »

No, its not just the smokes. I've developed a similar knee jerk reaction when docmentaries and their presenters "analyse" accidents and other happenings, most likely perfectly natural 3 sigma outliers, as miracles! I usually point out (ok, monotonously hammer on about)the rediculousness of the woonterpretations. This often leaves me banned from the tv room. I am, apparently, unable to see the beauty in life. Roll Eyes

Rigil
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2012, 05:08:39 AM »

Watching braindead sensationalist journalism that makes me so irritated that I post on skeptics about it. (I'm sure nicotine withdrawal has NOTHING to do with the following post. You've been warned.)
I was just watching this thing called "Weird or what?" on Discovery..
Quick Digression: This channel has become intent on being classified "occult" instead of "sciencey". This used to be the home of mythbusters, but is now the home of bigfoot hunters, ghost experts, alien conspiracy programs, and "weird or what?".

Oh, don't even get me started on #$@#%@$ Discovery Channel (and, for that matter, television in general). Lemme share my own run-in with it.

For the past six months I have been working at a school aftercare centre, where kids come after school to do homework etc. One of them struck me as particularly intelligent: always interested in absolutely everything. And unlike most kids his age, his dream isn't to become a rich businessman or tenderpreneur - he's going to be an archaeologist. So I lent him a thick tome on archaeology, and he spent hours positively glued to it. Pretty impressive for a grade 5 kid.

But when I talked to him I soon noticed that he has some, er, weird ideas. The pyramids were quite possibly built by aliens, for example. And close relatives of our remote ancestors can sometimes be observed in the American north woods where they occasionally abduct people. Just like aliens do. And so on and on.

And where does he get all these ideas from? Turns out his main, and in fact more or less only, source of factual information about the world is Discovery Channel. His family is not bookish, so he was never encouraged to read, never helped to join a library and never given any books, so he has no other access to information than the goddamned TV, which feeds him a constant diet of misinformation and propaganda. In the meantime he has to attend a pathetic excuse of a government school, where by grade seven every last hint of curiosity, creativity and originality will have been bludgeoned out of him. By age 25 he'll be either unemployed or a tenderpreneur after all, depending on what sort of political connections his family has.

How we are failing our kids. I sometimes despair to the point of wanting to run away and go live in a cave or something.

I can deal with those irritating "infomercials" on TV. In fact, if they had a channel showing only those, I would watch that channel. Why? Because when they show you ads you at least know you are watching propaganda. Discovery Channel (and, increasingly, all the other "documentary" channels) are much, much worse, because they show you propaganda disguised as fact.

I'm speaking partially hypothetically, of course. I hadn't owned a TV for many years. A year or two ago an acquaintance of mine emigrated, and so gave me his TV. I almost never watch it (it only receives SABC 3 and e-TV anyway), but whenever I do switch it on it almost invariably shows one of four things: propaganda disguised as news, advertisements, soap operas or American wrestling shows. How the hell can people spend hours of precious time every day staring at this crap? How on earth can parents idly stand by and let their kids watch this drivel?

As for all those other channels, I only see them occasionally at the homes of friends, and every time I am relieved that I don't have DSTV. It is every bit as addictive as any drug, and will rot your brain even worse.

As the late Johannes Kerkorrel said: "Sit dit af, sit dit af, want dis a helse straf!"

Amen, brother.
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2012, 05:31:23 AM »

Beautifully written Brianvds. I'm calling Mrs Kent to come read your post (the sweety-pie is baking muffins for my fishing trip). We are regularly in debate about chucking the tv. 

Your story about the kid is particularly sad. But hopefully you've made an impression on the lad too. If there is something like sin, there can be no greater one than brainwashing kids.

R.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »

The art of shaving with Occam’s Razor is being lost to an insatiable lust for ever more woolly stories.  Critical faculties are being sacrificed on postmodernism’s altar in a global fondle fest of ego stroking where facts are heresy and every opinion is equal.

'Luthon64
brianvds

« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »

Beautifully written Brianvds. I'm calling Mrs Kent to come read your post (the sweety-pie is baking muffins for my fishing trip). We are regularly in debate about chucking the tv. 

Your story about the kid is particularly sad. But hopefully you've made an impression on the lad too. If there is something like sin, there can be no greater one than brainwashing kids.

R.

Well, there is some hope. The aftercare centre is actually only a smallish part of a small private school, and I have now been appointed as teacher (albeit not of science, as I would have liked!) However, the principal is fairly broad-minded. She doesn't like the state curriculum in social sciences, for example, because she considers it too narrowly focused on South Africa. I am inclined to agree: I looked through textbooks, and they consist almost in their entirety of colonialism, Mandela, the freedom struggle, Mandela, apartheid, Mandela, slavery, Mandela, and, er, did I mention colonialism... Not that these things are unimportant; we should by all means learn from our tragic history. But at primary school level it is perhaps a bit too specific, and one is always in danger of oversimplifying. It is also difficult to truly understand the history of South Africa without also knowing something about the broader context: our society is not the first where one group repressed another and sadly will likely also not be the last.

So she requested me to come up with a new curriculum that will, in its history section, look at the history of the whole world from paleolithic times to today, and in geography, look at the whole planet, and its place in the universe. She gave me virtual carte blanche, so I'm having a lot of fun, and of course, I'm including a very generous dollop of astronomy into the mix. I'm also planning an astronomy evening at the school, during which I will take my binoculars and spotting scope to the school and go show the students a few of the wonders that can be seen in the sky every evening, for free. There is no greater educational sin than boring one's students, and I am going to try hard not to.

The same goes for technology: you wouldn't believe the utter crapola in the standard textbooks. Half of it seems not to have anything whatever to do with technology. So here too I set up my own curriculum, in which I'll have the students look at and work with the actual real technologies we see around us every day or that had a great impact on the world, such as the printing press, the web, the internal combustion engine, fuels and, yes, gun powder. I haven't told the principal about that bit yet out of fear that she may forbid it. But the neat thing is that it is a small school with a bit of a shortage of staff, so she teaches a class herself and does not have all that much time to look over my shoulder. The first she'll know about the gun powder will be when she hears the explosions...  Evil

And why not? Which other technology had as much impact, or explains so much about the shape of the modern world? But in the government curricula they teach kids about how to make a frickin' memory box. How can we possibly expect our kids to turn into well-rounded adults when we turn learning into relentless boredom and punishment? I'm starting to foam at the mouth again; let me stop here...

brianvds

« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »

The art of shaving with Occam’s Razor is being lost to an insatiable lust for ever more woolly stories.  Critical faculties are being sacrificed on postmodernism’s altar in a global fondle fest of ego stroking where facts are heresy and every opinion is equal.

'Luthon64

Yup, it is by no means just here in Dark Africa where everything seems to be on the slippery slope...

http://truth-out.org/news/item/10144-texas-gop-declares-no-more-teaching-of-critical-thinking-skills-in-texas-public-schools

BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »

Well, there is some hope. (SNIP) I have now been appointed as teacher

Bravo sir, I like the entire plan you have outlined there. This is what we need, doers.

I long ago "decided" the moment I become bored by my profession/lose my youthful quest for success, I will go into teaching. In fact i've done some small time tutoring already, just don't have the lifestyle atm to devote to it full time. However I would definitely prefer to be a bit more focussed on "above average" candidates like the one you describe. As an ex intellectually understimulated child, I understand their burdens better than most.

the meantime he has to attend a pathetic excuse of a government school, where by grade seven every last hint of curiosity, creativity and originality will have been bludgeoned out of him. By age 25 he'll be either unemployed or a tenderpreneur

A highly perceptive friend of mine observed recently: "You are one of those gifted people, be sure you don't someday come to resent your gifts". Little did he know I was smiling internally, for I had done so frequently, until I finally came to be in a suitably stimulating environment. This made my life worth living.

Sadly, society tries to cushion the blows for the stragglers whilst unknowingly bludgeoning the leaders.
brianvds

« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »

I long ago "decided" the moment I become bored by my profession/lose my youthful quest for success, I will go into teaching. In fact i've done some small time tutoring already, just don't have the lifestyle atm to devote to it full time.

I also started out tutoring, but it is a bit difficult to make a living that way, and you inevitably end up with all the dumb and/or lazy students. :-)

Formally, I am "not qualified" to teach at all, seeing as I have only a B degree and no postgrad teaching diploma. I started doing the thing but then quit: it is the most pointless, contentless load of postmodernist crap I have ever seen and I refuse to waste my time with it. Thus I cannot be appointed at any government school, but the more I see of government schools the more I think that I would not want to work at one anyway.

However I would definitely prefer to be a bit more focussed on "above average" candidates like the one you describe. As an ex intellectually understimulated child, I understand their burdens better than most.

Most kids are surprisingly intelligent. At the school where I work, the grade one class, now only six months into their schooling, can already solve math problems that most other schools only introduce in grade two or three, like adding two digit numbers in columns, knowing some of their multiplication tables and solving multiplication problems such as 23 x 6, 34 x 3 and so on. There are inevitably stragglers, but in almost every case their problem is emotional rather than purely intellectual. In short, they are the victims of parental neglect or abuse. South Africa must have some of the most careless and uninvolved parents on the planet, who consider a school a place where you go dump your kid to get him out of your hair, and where they will then take care of his entire education so that you don't have to bother. We have some very sad cases there, but most of the kids do very well. Children simply aren't as dumb as bureaucrats seem to think.

Sadly, society tries to cushion the blows for the stragglers whilst unknowingly bludgeoning the leaders.

Yes, unfortunately, and it ends up harming the stragglers every bit as much, because they end up lacking any skills of any kind that they can sell, in a society devoid of any leaders.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 45   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: