South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

June 28, 2017, 19:39:43 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

The little things that irk us so

(Read 86233 times)
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #555 on: February 03, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »

Ouch.

I was on the other end of a such a deal once, and it feels almost as bad. I sold an old but near spotless Jaguar XJ6 to a collector. After he drove it around for a few weeks, the engine promptly destroyed itself. Even though I had no reason to suspect that the car would do that, it caused me some consternation and guilt. But not quite up to the point where I would offer him his money back.

Rigil

BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #556 on: February 03, 2017, 10:02:58 AM »

I have an old fridge I also re-gassed and thought "Hey, this will be a great parking spot for beer". 6 months later it stopped working. I don't even care why, any repair will mean I've spent more on it than a new one would cost. Oh planned obsolescence, you haunt me so.
Spike

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #557 on: February 03, 2017, 10:23:40 AM »

I've parked some of my frequently-used light DIY tools in it. The narrow door shelves are great for bottles of screws & nails, and odds like thinners, silicone & spray paint, different kinds of tape etc.  But I could have built a much more functional storage unit myself, had I wanted one.  And I still feel guilty for only paying the guy R800.  Roll Eyes Grin
Spike

« Reply #558 on: February 17, 2017, 18:50:44 PM »

RICA.  This is not a little thing, this is hugely upsetting.

Seriously, why should I hand over my ID and entire LIFE to some stranger behind a retail counter?  It is utterly impossible to believe there aren't 'mishaps' with this information. I've worked in retail - I know exactly how that sausage factory works. The mind boggles that anyone could believe that this system will curb crime.
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #559 on: February 18, 2017, 06:38:20 AM »

RICA.  This is not a little thing, this is hugely upsetting.

Seriously, why should I hand over my ID and entire LIFE to some stranger behind a retail counter?  It is utterly impossible to believe there aren't 'mishaps' with this information. I've worked in retail - I know exactly how that sausage factory works. The mind boggles that anyone could believe that this system will curb crime.

I had a particular problem with RICA, because I had difficulty proving my address. All my utility bills were paid online, so I couldn't produce something like an electricity bill. And I rented my place from a friend, so there wasn't actually any written rental contract either. So how do I prove my address? I bought one of those standard rental contracts at CNA, and filled it in and signed it myself. I could have written an address on Mars for all the difference it made; they gave it a casual glance and and RICA-ed my phone.

Conclusion: RICA is yet another gigantic, pointless waste of time and resources.
Spike

« Reply #560 on: February 18, 2017, 17:49:52 PM »

I had a particular problem with RICA, because I had difficulty proving my address
Same here.  Luckily, I do officially live somewhere pretty close to "Mars"  Evil

Conclusion: RICA is yet another gigantic, pointless waste of time and resources.
Actually, the ID system is a hopelessly outdated concept.  It was useful when it was developed, but simply can not and does not conform anymore to the original purpose of being a single, indisputable and reliable proof of anyone's identity.
brianvds

« Reply #561 on: February 19, 2017, 04:27:21 AM »

Actually, the ID system is a hopelessly outdated concept.  It was useful when it was developed, but simply can not and does not conform anymore to the original purpose of being a single, indisputable and reliable proof of anyone's identity.

At the local library, for a while there, they suddenly got a security guard with one of those books in which you first have to fill in your name, address etc, and state your business, before you can enter. I made a point of filling in names like Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Albert Einstein. No one ever caught on. :-)
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #562 on: February 20, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »

Mmmmhmmm, I've seen some fellow IT types just take an electronic bill from ages ago and modify the dates, addresses, names, amounts.... digitally. This works especially well if you know anything at all about how easy it is to mess with a PDF.... It's not like printing stuff on paper is an impossibility in this day and age, but this was all raised as concerns long before this bullcrap became law.

(click to show/hide)

At the local library, for a while there, they suddenly got a security guard with one of those books in which you first have to fill in your name, address etc, and state your business, before you can enter. I made a point of filling in names like Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Albert Einstein. No one ever caught on. :-)

Ugh, how many "security" complexes and business campuses use these super secure paper spreadsheets to make it impossible to impersonate someone else... *rolls eyes*.
Spike

« Reply #563 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »

Don't you just love those 'security' gates where you have to provide your ID no?  Just complete their entry form ....  if your name is at the top of the page, a minimum of 15 random people who happen to arrive after you will have access to your entire pedigree - more if new arrivals choose to flip back & forth to 'see who is there already'.  The majority of gate guards are not security guards anyway, and most of them don't undergo even the most rudimentary background (or even ID-) check.  To top all that, even if most gate guards are honest and well-meaning, those sign-in sheets or books lie around for weeks, months and sometimes years and can quite easily be accessed by just one bad apple a long way down the line.

Mmmmhmmm, I've seen some fellow IT types just take an electronic bill from ages ago and modify the dates, addresses, names, amounts.... digitally. 

I made a point of filling in names like Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Albert Einstein. No one ever caught on. :-)

Time for Ms Alberta Mozart to get a brand new 'certified copy' of her brand new ID.  I have some time to kill.
brianvds

« Reply #564 on: February 20, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »

Time for Ms Alberta Mozart to get a brand new 'certified copy' of her brand new ID.  I have some time to kill.

Or Saskatchewan van Beethoven? Ontario Brahms? Quebec Debussy?
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #565 on: February 20, 2017, 13:49:42 PM »

You know there's a flaw in the system when comedians start noticing.
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« Reply #566 on: March 02, 2017, 14:42:03 PM »

Telkom. I want to cancel my mother's landline. Go to the Telkom outlet in the local mall only to be told that I must phone 10210. Come back home and did that. Somebody answered after 45 minutes. Said I must send a blank email to servcancellation@telkom.co.za. (why did they not told me this at the mall???). I send email and get the following reply: The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept new messages at this stage. Message therefore not delivered. Please try resending this message later. [Telkom SA SOC Limited. Registration nr : 1991/005476/30]  WTF!!
brianvds

« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2017, 16:09:16 PM »

Just stop paying the bill, then they'll cancel it for you. :-)
Spike

« Reply #568 on: March 04, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »

Just stop paying the bill, then they'll cancel it for you. :-)

Nope.  They will contact you months later, probably on the 3rd day of the 3rd month, to inform you that you must give one calendar month notice (i.e. the next month) and that you remain liable for the line rental until the bitter end. Your protestations and ample proof that you took every possible action to end the agreement is as the whisper of the wind and count as nothing.  Either way, you will end up paying at least 4 months rental - plus interest, of course.

/rant off
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #569 on: March 06, 2017, 17:24:30 PM »

Liquor Authorities: my sons and I own Robson's Breweries that has three licenses: brewing; off consumption and on-consumption. We moved the brewery from Shongweni to the Point area (Robson's on Point see www.robsonsrealbeer.com) and in anticipation of bureaucratic BS and plain incompetence applied for the "Removal of licences" in June 2016 to the new site as all licenses are site specific. We had no response to our weekly enquiries as to progress until in Dec they rocked up to arrest us! In January we renewed our licences for 2017 (R17000) and have all the paper work done (480 pages). Two weeks ago we were issued with summonses to appear before the Board and explain our 'non-compliance". Of course we were non-compliant as we were obliged to sign leases, employ staff, move the brewery and continue producing as best we could open the restaurant and generate income to pay for all this. Of course this all does not wash with the LA and technically were are wrong BUT due to no fault of our making as the KZN Liquor Act requires them to respond within 3 weeks of the submission of the applications of "Removal" (i.e. roughly by Aug 2016).....our date in court is the 9th April.....FFS.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: