South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

March 30, 2017, 08:40:17 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

The little things that irk us so

(Read 82357 times)
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« Reply #570 on: March 06, 2017, 18:13:02 PM »

Liquor Authorities: my sons and I own Robson's Breweries that has three licenses: brewing; off consumption and on-consumption. We moved the brewery from Shongweni to the Point area (Robson's on Point see www.robsonsrealbeer.com) and in anticipation of bureaucratic BS and plain incompetence applied for the "Removal of licences" in June 2016 to the new site as all licenses are site specific. We had no response to our weekly enquiries as to progress until in Dec they rocked up to arrest us! In January we renewed our licences for 2017 (R17000) and have all the paper work done (480 pages). Two weeks ago we were issued with summonses to appear before the Board and explain our 'non-compliance". Of course we were non-compliant as we were obliged to sign leases, employ staff, move the brewery and continue producing as best we could open the restaurant and generate income to pay for all this. Of course this all does not wash with the LA and technically were are wrong BUT due to no fault of our making as the KZN Liquor Act requires them to respond within 3 weeks of the submission of the applications of "Removal" (i.e. roughly by Aug 2016).....our date in court is the 9th April.....FFS.

Enough to drive one to drink.
Spike

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #571 on: March 07, 2017, 21:27:20 PM »

in Dec they rocked up to arrest us!

Did you try Smiting with the Hammer of Thor?  (Aww, sorry about that.)

It must be incredibly frustrating, doubly so when you know think of all the establishments operating without any kind of a licence.  Honesty bars, corking fees and 'service charge' systems are easy, fast ways for small-town restaurants & guest houses to make money from not selling liquor.  That brewing license makes you conspicuous.

I think I saw your product at a small place in Montagu in the Western Cape a while back? I could be mistaken.
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #572 on: March 08, 2017, 06:20:41 AM »

That brewing license makes you conspicuous.

That seems to be part of the problem here: the more people try to comply with the law, the more they are persecuted. In the meantime, the bazillions of township shebeens are almost completely ignored.

Of course, that is a point that may be usefully raised during a court case.
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #573 on: March 08, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »

Ridiculous. The authorities want to regulate almost everything, but are simultaneously too bloody incompetent to manage its own regulations.

Another thing that springs to mind is this new regulatory body that promises to sort out problems relating to sectional title properties. I'm watching this new ombudsman with interest, especially the realisation of the training that its website promises to deliver. And of course there is a mandatory fee payable to finance this bullshit initiative. I recon the government is just thinking up new ways of keeping its blobulously redundant workforce paid and occupied.

It's utterly frustrating when, like good citizens, we want to jump through government's hoops, only to find that the hoops are stukkend. But then again, won't we be even better citizens when we stop trying?

Rigil
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« Reply #574 on: March 08, 2017, 17:31:05 PM »

That brewing license makes you conspicuous.

That seems to be part of the problem here: the more people try to comply with the law, the more they are persecuted. In the meantime, the bazillions of township shebeens are almost completely ignored.

Of course, that is a point that may be usefully raised during a court case.
The other day beer (Black Label) was sold by a hawker at a street junction (R104 & M10) in Pretoria. Don't know for how long he was in business an haven't seen him there again, but still.
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #575 on: March 14, 2017, 13:04:59 PM »

Follow-up: we've now employed a lawyer to send a letter to the Liquor Authority asking, no begging for an extension of the deadline: his advice to us is basically that  we'll have to bribe them!The letter went out last week, still no response! About R5000 worth. The same applies to the business license from the eThekwini Metro!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: