South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

December 14, 2017, 12:08:08 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

The little things that irk us so

(Read 95593 times)
Spike

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #585 on: June 13, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »

Phone rings. 
Me: Hallo?
Person:  Good morning, is that (name)
Me: Grunt
Person: We have a special offer for your safety in (place). Do you have an alarm system?
Me: ....
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #586 on: June 13, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »

That's one way to recon I guess.
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #587 on: June 13, 2017, 12:21:18 PM »

That's rather alarming...
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #588 on: June 13, 2017, 18:12:30 PM »

Dense people can be no little irksome thing.

I’ve got this dolt who’s been sending five or more “Please Call Me” notifications daily for the past three weeks, despite several replies of mine alerting them to the fact that they’ve got the wrong damn number.  Also, I can’t block the number ’cos my phone doesn’t support that feature, and the alternative of approaching the service provider for a solution (blocking the number or upgraded phone) are equally daunting in their inevitable irksomeness.

What to do, what to do?  Ignoring the dolt doesn’t seem to get the message across either.

'Luthon64
brianvds

« Reply #589 on: June 14, 2017, 06:04:26 AM »

Reminds me of a practical joke that was popular when I was a teen. You call people and ask "Is John there?" (Or whatever name). Of course he isn't. and ten minutes later you call again: "Can I speak to John, please?" And so on, every half hour, until late at night. Works even better if you can get various people to make the same call. Then finally, at three in the morning, you call and say "Hi, this is John speaking. Were there any messages for me?"

Not that I ever inflicted this on anyone. It's not that I wasn't naughty enough; it just seemed like too much hard work. :-)
Spike

« Reply #590 on: July 13, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

Oops!  Everybody is on the bandwagon to shoot down the 'alarmist' views in this article.  And the funny thing is, most of the sniping is for 'trying to scare people,' 'being 'negative,' and 'not pointing out the positives in the situation.'

People. 

BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #591 on: July 13, 2017, 09:38:11 AM »

Well, I guess if everyone's dead at least the planet will be safe. So there's your positive.
brianvds

« Reply #592 on: July 13, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »

Well, I guess if everyone's dead at least the planet will be safe. So there's your positive.

If we manage to trigger a runaway greenhouse like on Venus, then nothing will remain. With a bit of luck it won't come to that. The scary thing is, we don't actually know, for precisely the reason the "global warming skeptics" point out: models are limited and perhaps not very accurate. I.e. we have no clue what we are doing, but we are nevertheless running an unprecedented global experiment with unknown outcomes.

Well, it's all academic now: I can guarantee you that whatever the case may be, we are going to burn every last ounce of fossil fuels.

A new reply to those irritating telemarketers just occurred to me. Let me rewrite Spike's dialogue:

Phone rings. 
Me: Hallo?
Person:  Good morning, is that (name)
Me: Grunt
Person: We have a special offer for your safety in (place). Do you have an alarm system?
Me: No sir, this house is protected by Psalm 91. Would you mind if I told you a bit about Jesus? If you died right now, how sure are you where you are going?

Etc. etc. >:-)

Spike

« Reply #593 on: July 17, 2017, 16:31:23 PM »

Why do the ants in my kitchen eat only solitary crumbs and avoid the toaster which is chock full of goodies?
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #594 on: July 17, 2017, 17:06:58 PM »

Well, it's all academic now: I can guarantee you that whatever the case may be, we are going to burn every last ounce of fossil fuels.

There is (warranted) speculation that green energy is about to dominate globally because it's becoming cheaper than fossil fuels. In that case we might just see the free market go green all by itself.
Spike

« Reply #595 on: July 17, 2017, 17:50:19 PM »

The electronic car breakthrough will halt the fossil fuel orgy. This is a good 'Why now': https://medium.com/future-crunch/carmageddon-is-coming-899c0f05a2a.  Also keep in mind India and China's massive investments in solar energy, all of it coming together with Li-Ion battery tech and Elon Musk investigating Chinese partnerships (batteries, solar energy, electronic vehicles) Look at his Australian solar energy project - '90 days or it's free'. It's a very exciting time to be alive.
brianvds

« Reply #596 on: July 18, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »

There is (warranted) speculation that green energy is about to dominate globally because it's becoming cheaper than fossil fuels. In that case we might just see the free market go green all by itself.

Yup, one can see that scenario coming. Though apparently in America, where government is owned by established business interests, they regularly make laws against green energy in order to protect the oil companies.
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #597 on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:41 AM »

I should've qualified though. In this case I use the term "green" in the conventional mass-media sense to mean less dependence on fossil fuels. There's a ton of damage we do manufacturing batteries, solar panels, etc... That's going to be a whole other challenge.
brianvds

« Reply #598 on: August 02, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »

Windows 10's picture viewer. It sucks beyond all possible description, and is yet another case in a long line of incidents of Micro$oft fixing things that ain't broke. Their existing picture viewer was perfectly nice for doing what a picture viewer should do, namely quickly open and view pictures, no frills, no bells and whistles, and if you want to edit you open a picture editor. It even had a very nice little feature: you could put on a random slide show of your pictures, so I would sometimes put on nice music and watch a slide show.

The new picture viewer can't do that; its slide show is strictly in the order in which the pictures are kept in the folder. It also crops off the top and bottom of pictures. It takes about five minutes to open a picture, at least on my computer. It now requires two clicks instead of one to view the picture at full size. It has all manner of unnecessary editing functions that no one will ever use (because, Mr. Gates, that is why you ALSO have frickin' MS Paint on the computer!).

In short, it sucks so much I'm surprised it hasn't swallowed the whole planet yet. And there seems to be nothing that can really replace it; all the free downloadable picture viewers out there seem to be too complex to my liking. Why can't I just have the old Windows one back?
BoogieMonster
NP complete

« Reply #599 on: August 02, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »

One of the irksome problems with software is that there's a view that a working tool should always be getting better and better with time. One part of this is fixing bugs, which is nice. But the other is that one should always be adding features, which is not always nice because it starts to add a lot of bloat. Back in the day I used ACDSee to view images but that has also ballooned into a behemoth. What I use these days is IrfanView, but even that is not always to my liking.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: