South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

November 24, 2017, 22:33:45 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the forum rules before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Useless information chat thread

(Read 8314 times)
Mandarb

Skeptical ability: +3/-0

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2013, 13:49:11 PM »

My S/O wasnt spared either, his long lost cousins - not seen for at least 15 odd years, were gobsmacked that he found a wife and assured him in all sincerity that they thought he would never get married because there is "iets fout met jou, jy's nie soos ander mense nie"

That is probably what my extended family thinks of me.
And this part:
to be told that I should have another child "ter wille van nasiebou"
That's bloody infuriating, racist apartheid christian reconstructionist bullshit.

I understand your frustration, being part of an Afrikaner family can make you pull your hair out.
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2013, 16:21:30 PM »

Years ago, an Afrikaner omie told me in all seriousness that I should have three children. Two to replace my wife and I, and one "om die volk te bou."

He'd no doubt be disappointed that I never married nor had any children. But my brother has four, so the family genes are taken care of. He'll have to have two more, mind you, to build the nation... :-)
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »

Faerie, you had the same day on sat that I had on sunday. Baptism, afrikaans church service. Lots of pretoria afrikaners looking me up and down due to the length of my hair, and a thoroughly bizarre church service. Boy, it's been a while since I've been in a church and things have certainly changed, more like a concert than a service, really.

Funnily enough, I found myself a bit miffed at how things had changed. I had to remind myself that I don't care anymore. Almost like at some level I longed for a more conservative service. WTF?! I guess old habits do die hard.

I stood conspicuously silent as the congregation recited a statement of belief, and through the unrelenting series of hymns i'd never heard or seen before. The sermon: about 10 minutes total. We were in there for an hour and a half..... The dominee eyeing me directly from the pulpit, looking a bit confused at my non-participation. Somehow I was convinced I would get cornered after the service but this never happened. Perhaps because we were thankfully whisked away to the "after tea" which wasn't to be on church grounds.
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2013, 11:08:37 AM »

I guess old habits do die hard.

I had a moment like that as well, when the dominee delivered his rather lengthy prayer, the kids were all over the hall "going mal", as one came tearing past me, I yanked him by his collar and abmonished him for making a noise during the prayer....

I mean, really, what do I care at this point of my life? let the kids run amock and scream at the top of their youthful lungs, should it really bother me?  On the other hand, I suppose its the ingrained "respect" for others thing that made me do it rather than the prayer itself.

We're forever trapped by our upbringings. Sad but true, indoctrination has a way of popping up its nasty head at times.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2013, 12:12:49 PM »

Sad but true, indoctrination has a way of popping up its nasty head at times.
Amen. Roll Eyes Wink

'Luthon64
cr1t

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

cr1t
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »

I've been in a church and things have certainly changed, more like a concert than a service, really.

Funnily enough, I found myself a bit miffed at how things had changed. I had to remind myself that I don't care anymore. Almost like at some level I longed for a more conservative service. WTF?!

Yes, I have the same experience, my wife and family are in the happy clappy churches, as we use to call them, and they are like always come to church is not how it use to be. In my mind I'm like its worse.
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2016, 13:22:10 PM »

I have just spent an atrocious amount of money on a handcrafted Katana for my son's 21st gift... made in Spain... handcrafted with gold edging. On impulse. On my credit card. Im between mortified and utterly chuffed. The birthday is only taking place next June....
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2016, 16:47:46 PM »

I have just spent an atrocious amount of money on a handcrafted Katana for my son's 21st gift... made in Spain... handcrafted with gold edging. On impulse. On my credit card. Im between mortified and utterly chuffed. The birthday is only taking place next June....

No doubt he'll complain because it wasn't made in Japan... :-)

My landlady's children grew up before me and they are pretty much like my own. Her son is an avid military fan: plays games like Airsoft and Warhammer, and knows more about the Second World War than most historians. One day, while visiting an antique fair, also on impulse, I bought him an honest-to-God authentic AK-47 bayonet from Russia. Boy, was he ecstatic. Boys are like that. :-)

The thing was actually quite cheap, mind you!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: