South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

October 17, 2017, 04:06:48 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Please read the posting guidelines before posting.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Mars

(Read 3666 times)
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« on: October 10, 2015, 08:01:09 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11921070/Nasa-planning-Earth-Independent-Mars-colony-by-2030s.html
I am still very, very sceptical on whether it is possible or not. They have not even attempt a sample return mission.
With a rotation like craft, you can get there in reasonable shape but just think of the logistics of landing back here on Earth. No ground crew on Mars to welcome you. Maybe living / working habitats can be 3D printed before the time but that is science fiction for now. (3D printing can build a house here on Earth but only with lots of human help).
Radiation!
$!
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »

It is likely complete fantasy, and I have to wonder whether they believe it themselves. Anyway, I do not want humans anywhere near Mars until we are certain that there is no indigenous life there.

An interesting simulation they could do is this: see if they can set up an "Earth-independent" colony somewhere on Earth. Like, for example, Antarctica or the middle of the Sahara. I doubt whether that can be done with their current knowledge and technology. But they want to try it on Mars?

Not to mention the cost, which will be prohibitive, and divert even more funding away from unmanned exploration. We already have a damn white space elephant in earth orbit; we don't need another on Mars.
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »

Sometimes I think it's quite cool to do things without any regard for cost, just to see what humans are capable of. As long as the Americans pay for it, of course.

Was it not Mandela who noted that it always seems impossible until it's done? Then again, the number of space colonies designed by our former president can probably be counted on one hand. Perhaps he was referring to draughting constitutions.

R.
Tweefo

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »

An interesting simulation they could do is this: see if they can set up an "Earth-independent" colony somewhere on Earth.
They've tried it a few times, I think there is one going on right now. I know one experiment failed after a short time due to cabin fever. But an experiment can't be 100% independent. The participants will know that help is not 3 years away and I come back to the radiation problem.
Tweefo

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:45:41 AM »

Sometimes I think it's quite cool to do things without any regard for cost, just to see what humans are capable of. As long as the Americans pay for it, of course.

Was it not Mandela who noted that it always seems impossible until it's done? Then again, the number of space colonies designed by our former president can probably be counted on one hand. Perhaps he was referring to draughting constitutions.

R.
But the scale on a venture like this... The Moon landings had the cold war as a driving force but this?
Tweefo

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 09:35:02 AM »

I came across this question on Quora. The first words send back to Earth from the Moon was the famous "One small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind". What should be the first words from Mars? Not that I think we'll do it anytime soon, but something profound should be said.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 15:25:49 PM by Tweefo » Logged
brianvds

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »

I came across this question on Quora. The first words send back to Earth from the Moon was the famous "One small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind". What should be the fist words from Mars? Not that I think we'll do it anytime soon, but something profound should be said.

"Hey, checkkit out my bra, it looks like the Karoo!"

Or like the penguins in "Madagascar" after they finally reach Antarctica: "Well this sucks!"
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 06:54:30 AM »

What should be the first words from Mars?
It will depend on which nation plonks down first in the ochre dust.

Arabia: Ah, no place like home.

France: Voila!

Germany: Das is cool, ja?

US: Watcha gonna do when we come for you...

South Africa: Pay back the money.
Tweefo

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »

What should be the first words from Mars?
It will depend on which nation plonks down first in the ochre dust.

Arabia: Ah, no place like home.

France: Voila!

Germany: Das is cool, ja?

US: Watcha gonna do when we come for you...

South Africa: Pay back the money.
I think SA would be: What the hell, how did this happen?
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »

SA: Look at all these imperialist Martians!
Tweefo

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »

Elon Musk says he is going to send 100 people at a time to Mars. Like PZ I remain sceptical. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/09/30/skepticism-is-so-easily-displaced-by-fantasy/#more-32267
brianvds

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »

Elon Musk says he is going to send 100 people at a time to Mars. Like PZ I remain sceptical. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/09/30/skepticism-is-so-easily-displaced-by-fantasy/#more-32267

I will believe it when I see it. I think these folks watched too much science fiction. :-)
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 14:55:30 PM »

Schiaparelli lands this afternoon.
http://earthsky.org/space/how-to-watch-schiaparelli-land-on-mars
brianvds

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 18:07:08 PM »

Alas, latest news is they don't know whether it survived. The Europeans don't seem to have much luck with Mars missions.
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 07:52:41 AM »

The Europeans don't seem to have much luck with Mars missions.
Not only the Europeans.  An astonishing number of Mars missions fail.  The Martians will only allow one mission at a time--and then only those they approve of--the rest they destroy with their death rays.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: