South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

March 29, 2017, 17:02:10 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Mars

(Read 2683 times)
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »

The Europeans don't seem to have much luck with Mars missions.
Not only the Europeans.  An astonishing number of Mars missions fail.  The Martians will only allow one mission at a time--and then only those they approve of--the rest they destroy with their death rays.

Surely it can't be too expensive to simply fit the probes with tinfoil hats?
Rigil Kent
Clotting Factor

Skeptical ability: +19/-3

Three men make a tiger.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »

... Martians will only allow one mission at a time--and then only those they approve of--the rest they destroy with their death rays.
 Grin. Maybe it got zapped by one of the rovers. Perhaps Curiosity killed the Schap. Shocked
Spike

Skeptical ability: +1/-0

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »

I am rooting like crazy for the Mars project. The problems of establishing a human colony and keeping it alive can be overcome given current technology and the pace of advancement in the various necessary fields. The issue is making it cheap enough to get it there, which is not progressing fast enough for the given deadline.

I guess I am biased - Elon Musk is an utterly single-minded, even possessed, visionary. Just one example is his journey to overcome the problems with production of the economical Tesla model.  He is pursuing an ecologically sane solution for our transport problems and tackling the issues step by step, on a scale that boggles my tiny mind.

I vote for this one:

"Hey, checkkit out my bra, it looks like the Karoo!"
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 11:58:34 AM »

The man has more brains than he can use.  He is interesting to watch from a personality profile point of view, hubby thinks he's bonkers but I think he is one of those ADHD labled kids, everything is possible and needs to be tried, he is just fortunate to have the money to pursue it....
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: