South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

June 17, 2019, 10:57:43 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

No "seas" on far side

(Read 4691 times)
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +9/-0

« on: June 11, 2014, 15:05:44 PM »

I am still sceptical about this explanation. http://www.universetoday.com/112459/mystery-solved-why-there-no-lunar-seas-on-the-far-side-of-the-moon/
I can not see that the Earth's heat could radiate all the way to the Moon. The Moon was closer in the past, but still..
st0nes

Skeptical ability: +10/-1

mark.widdicombe1
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 15:34:27 PM »

I am still sceptical about this explanation. http://www.universetoday.com/112459/mystery-solved-why-there-no-lunar-seas-on-the-far-side-of-the-moon/
I can not see that the Earth's heat could radiate all the way to the Moon. The Moon was closer in the past, but still..

Was the moon tidally 'locked' from its formation?  If so, this explanation is quite plausible, if not, not.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

Skeptical ability: +61/-9

In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 15:51:51 PM »

Remember also that the Moon is receding from Earth and has been doing so since its formation.  At the time of its formation, it would have been considerably closer.  Moreover, the process of it becoming tidally locked would have “kneaded” the nearer side of the Moon more, thereby inducing frictional body heat in addition to the radiant heat from the cooling Earth, which had no atmosphere early on and so there was little to absorb the heat that it was radiating.

'Luthon64
Tweefo

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 16:11:18 PM »

But only became tidally locked later on, as it was moving away from Earth.
brianvds

Skeptical ability: +12/-0

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 18:28:46 PM »

Is there any reason why it couldn't possibly just be coincidence that the far side is rough? What do we see on other tidally locked moons in the solar system? Could they cast some light on this?
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »

If it is a coincidence, it’s a most remarkable one.  Other planets’ moons may not be helpful in pointing towards an explanation because they are thought to be remnants or “crumbs” of planet formation processes (coalescence), rather than the collision of large celestial objects.

'Luthon64
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 17:19:47 PM »

By the way, that hypothesis has had it's first bit of evidence surface recently.
Tweefo

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 15:43:54 PM »

I did not realise that the moon's rotation slowed down that fast. Here is a bit more on the two faces of the moon. http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/07/01/the_moon_s_two_faces_why_are_they_so_different.html
brianvds

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 05:33:32 AM »

If it is a coincidence, it’s a most remarkable one.  Other planets’ moons may not be helpful in pointing towards an explanation because they are thought to be remnants or “crumbs” of planet formation processes (coalescence), rather than the collision of large celestial objects.

'Luthon64

Currently, the earth's continents are all on one side of the planet, with a huge ocean covering the other side. Of course not analogous to the lunar situation, but before we solve mysteries, we must be careful to make absolutely sure that there really is a mystery to solve.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 08:08:41 AM »

The Earth is less perfectly spherical than the Moon and, unlike the latter, is still subject to significant ongoing tectonic and complex internal geophysical processes.  The Moon’s internal structure is also considerably simpler than the Earth’s.

Wheedling out the right questions to ask in order that science can progress is indeed often both more important and trickier than answering them.

'Luthon64
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »

Currently, the earth's continents are all on one side of the planet, with a huge ocean covering the other side.

The Earth [is] still subject to significant ongoing tectonic and complex internal geophysical processes.

My thoughts exactly. The continents were once one, broke apart, and started spreading out... and are still spreading out. Going out on a limb: One day they may well be equally distributed around the globe.
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »

One day they may well be equally distributed around the globe.
...and then all crash against each other one day? Some large mountain ranges no doubt will follow.
Mefiante
Defollyant Iconoclast

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »

India is busy crashing into the rest of Asia, hence the Himalayas.  Africa is crashing into Europe, hence the Alps.  The Nazca and Antarctic plates are being thrust under the South American plate (i.e., another collision), hence the Andes.

'Luthon64
brianvds

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 14:36:13 PM »

The continents will probably eventually bunch together in a supercontinent again? Anyway, my point was just that there needn't necessarily be any very special reason why a planet is asymmetrical.

But I am biased, because I recently read yet another article in which a researcher goes to great lengths to solve what is in fact a non-mystery:

http://boingboing.net/2014/06/10/vermeers-paintings-might-be.html
cr1t

Skeptical ability: +4/-0

cr1t
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 14:41:23 PM »

But I am biased, because I recently read yet another article in which a researcher goes to great lengths to solve what is in fact a non-mystery:

http://boingboing.net/2014/06/10/vermeers-paintings-might-be.html

I watched that docie it was produced by Penn and Teller the magicians.

I though it was very well done.
I don't think they claim anything other than to say.
This is possible a certain way and to do it.

Tim does not come across as a researcher rather just some body that had an idea he wanted to try out.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  
GoogleTagged: google com skeptic

Jump to: