Nova Centauri 2013

(1/3) > >>

Rigil Kent (December 12, 2013, 02:58:04 AM):
I'm still excited about this as it is the first nova that I've seen. It is in a well known region of the sky, and real easy to find with any size binoculars. This shaky picture was taken a few minutes ago with a mik-en-druk propped up against a windowsill and set to 15" exposure. The HIP star (to give an idea of the nova's brightness) has a magnitude of 4.5. So the nova is still pretty bright - I'm guessing about mag 4. Should be interesting to see it gradually fading away during the next week or so.
brianvds (December 12, 2013, 04:21:57 AM):
Alas, here in Centurion we have been having Cape winter weather. It has been cloudy and rainy for weeks. I missed the comet, and it looks like I'm going to miss the nova. Next thing we'll have Beutelgeuse go supernova and I'll miss that too...
cr1t (December 12, 2013, 08:44:25 AM):
That is awesome, I'll try and spot it tonight.
Brian (December 12, 2013, 09:47:40 AM):
Alas, here in Centurion we have been having Cape winter weather. It has been cloudy and rainy for weeks. I missed the comet, and it looks like I'm going to miss the nova. Next thing we'll have Beutelgeuse go supernova and I'll miss that too...

with the little I know about the universe, I would venture that if Beutelgeuse or Alpha Centauri go supernova...you'll not miss it but won't know what hit you...
cr1t (December 12, 2013, 10:02:32 AM):
If Beutelgeuse goes supernova you will see it during the day. I don't think Alpha Century is big enough to go supernova.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Skeptic Forum Board Index

Non-mobile version of page