South Africa Flag logo

South African Skeptics

July 16, 2019, 18:43:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Go to mobile page.
News: Follow saskeptics on twitter.

Skeptic Forum Board Index   Help Forum Rules Search GoogleTagged Login Register Chat Blogroll  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic:

Transhumanism

(Read 4373 times)
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 07:42:20 AM »

Its exciting, but in all honesty, I wouldnt want to have it for myself.  I want to die someday (not yet, got a couple things still to do), I cannot think of anything more torturous than having to live forever, its far too stressful to even contemplate....
Hermione

Skeptical ability: +0/-0

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »

?
Its exciting, but in all honesty, I wouldnt want to have it for myself.  I want to die someday (not yet, got a couple things still to do), I cannot think of anything more torturous than having to live forever, its far too stressful to even contemplate....

I agree with you Faerie, living forever doesn't sound like fun to me either.

But what if we could program our new bodies not to feel any stress, or pain or negative emotions?  If we could only feel pleasure and contentment, what would that be like?  If we never got tired, would we then want to live forever?

Or would life experience become a saccharine bore empty of any meaning?  Would humans be able to create and/or be moved by creative works?  If we had perfect pain-free lives, would we have a reason to want to go on living, or would it be the end of hope and striving
Faerie

Skeptical ability: +10/-2

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »

But what if we could program our new bodies not to feel any stress, or pain or negative emotions?  If we could only feel pleasure and contentment, what would that be like?  If we never got tired, would we then want to live forever?

Sounds far too much like the xtian heaven.... Undecided
Hermione

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »

Sounds far too much like the xtian heaven.... Undecided

Now I think about it, it does.  I never could understand why people would want to spend eternity in heaven.  How boring life would be without "sin"!
BoogieMonster
NP complete

Skeptical ability: +19/-1

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 13:16:20 PM »

Well hey, it helps the whole "population explosion" thing if some people want to die for those of us who want to live longer have more room. Thanks for taking one for the team guys.  Grin

More seriously, I don't think anyone would or could "live forever" (entropy you cruel bitch). However it would be a damn cool thing if humanity had within it's hands the tools to have that be a decision we can each make for ourselves. Currently, we HAVE to die before or around 100 years, no choice, whether we think life is grand or not. We have no say, and we die.

I'm far in favor of a world where, if you think it's not worth it, by all means, die a natural death, and if you think life is just too awesome to give up, you CAN make that choice and keep living. I would not preclude other people from making that decision if they so wish. If after 1000 years you realise you've "seen it all", you'll still have the option to end it, but you would've had 1000 years more to enjoy the universe. All I ask is, don't echo a religious zealot who says "it doesn't work for me, therefore that goes for everyone".
Tweefo

Skeptical ability: +10/-0

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 13:28:58 PM »

All very well to live a 1000 years if you can do it in a 30 or 40 year old body. Don't know so much about a 100 or 200 year old body.
Hermione

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 15:59:34 PM »

All very well to live a 1000 years if you can do it in a 30 or 40 year old body. Don't know so much about a 100 or 200 year old body.

Why not a 20 year old body - that could be fun.  Remember being able to stay up all night and not feel like you've been run over by a train the next morning?

Did anyone here ever read the book
"A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters"
by Julian Barnes?  One of the chapters is about him waking up in heaven one morning.  He gets served the best breakfast he ever had - grapefruit segments that seperate easily from the skin, grilled tomato that's just firm enough, etc.  An since he's there for all of eternity, he reads all the books that have ever been written, until he runs out of books..

That used to sound like my idea of heaven, just reading and reading forever.  Unfortunately I don't think I'd enjoy a very large proportion of the books out there, I mean imagine being stuck reading Danielle Steele for all eternity..
Brian

Skeptical ability: +8/-1

I think therefor I am, I think

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 16:45:15 PM »

I mean imagine being stuck reading Danielle Steele for all eternity..

Wrong spot Hermione, that'd be hell!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: